• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sources: Trump may nominate Peter Thiel to Supreme Court.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Donald Trump has made it clear he will nominate Peter Thiel to the Supreme Court if he wins the presidency, Thiel has told friends, according to a source close to the PayPal co-founder.

Trump “deeply loves Peter Thiel,” and people in the real estate mogul’s inner circle are talking about Thiel as a Supreme Court nominee, a separate source close to Trump told The Huffington Post. That source, who has not spoken to Trump directly about Thiel being nominated to the Court, cautioned that Trump’s offers often fail to materialize in real life.

It’s not clear whether Trump has indeed offered to nominate Thiel ― only that Thiel has said Trump would nominate him and that Trump’s team has discussed Thiel as a possible nominee.

Now, Peter Thiel, not the type of guy that a potential dictator would nominate to the Supreme Court am I--

In a 2009 essay, Thiel wrote: “I no longer believe that freedom and democracy are compatible.” Part of the reason for that incompatibility, Thiel argued, was that women had gained the right to vote and that the government sometimes helps poor people.

“Since 1920,” he wrote, “the vast increase in welfare beneficiaries and the extension of the franchise to women — two constituencies that are notoriously tough for libertarians — have rendered the notion of ‘capitalist democracy’ into an oxymoron.” (He later clarified his comments, saying he didn’t want to disenfranchise anyone.)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-peter-thiel-supreme-court_us_57d80d57e4b09d7a687f9b03

.... I mean, we all saw Trump being interested in a guy like this coming, but it's still a bit shocking that Trump is considering nominating the leader of the anti-Democracy movement.

Slayven

buuuuuttttt to push the country left you have to burn it down by voting trump in

In a 2009 essay, Thiel wrote: “I no longer believe that freedom and democracy are compatible.” Part of the reason for that incompatibility, Thiel argued, was that women had gained the right to vote and that the government sometimes helps poor people.

Shit is scary

Adding an inhuman asshole to the SC, what could go wrong?
At least, he's not one of the crazy theocrats they could have thought of.

entremet

Can't see it.

Thiel worked in law a very short time. He has no legal chops that most nominees need to have to be considered.

Forgive my ignorance of the American political system, but shouldn't a Supreme Court nominee be... a judge...? Like, a real one? Has Thiel ever passed or even taken the bar exam?

First openly gay justice, though!

Trump's base would be pissed. They want to relitigate marriage equality. They'd be calling for him to be recused.

Mark L

This is..... a pretty weak story. I mean, I'm against Trump as much or more as the next guy, but that doesn't mean I gotta spread around every click bait rumor, does it?

I hope Hillary gets better really, really soon and we can get back to something resembling actual news. Wait, or is she back on the trail already? I need to keep up better :(

daveo42

Banned
Man, I better get a passport and work visa ready just in case I do need it come November. Shit is downright scary.

Good thing I lost all this weight as I'll probably gain it all back from the depression when this country elects this piece of shit. I'm panicking!

HylianTom

Banned
Forgive my ignorance of the American political system, but shouldn't a Supreme Court nominee be... a judge...? Like, a real one? Has Thiel ever passed or even taken the bar exam?
There's no constitutional requirement for Supreme Court judges as far as legal training/education is concerned. He could nominate Bozo the Clown, and if he has 51 Senators willing to vote to confirm Bozo, there's nothing standing in his way.

Metal B

There's no constitutional requirement for Supreme Court judges as far as legal training/education is concerned. He could nominate Bozo the Clown, and if he has 51 Senators willing to vote to confirm Bozo, there's nothing standing in his way.
I don't know, who Bozo the Clown is, but he sounds much more qualified to do the job.

How the fuck is this legal or even constitutional?

America, you crazy. Seriously.

fixedpoint

jesus fucking christ
ghwqMr8.jpg

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
“Since 1920,” he wrote, “the vast increase in welfare beneficiaries and the extension of the franchise to women — two constituencies that are notoriously tough for libertarians
This is so close to a moment of self awareness. At least it would be if I wasn't 100% sure that he's passed through it to be a shitstain on the other side

Iksenpets

Banned
Bad, but not worse than mainstreaming white supremacy IMO. This could theoretically be stopped.

You're probably right that the white supremacy stuff is worse, but Thiel is literally opposed to democracy as a concept, because it turns out voters sometimes vote for things other than pure libertarianism if you let them.

Fuchsdh

You're probably right that the white supremacy stuff is worse, but Thiel is literally opposed to democracy as a concept, because it turns out voters sometimes vote for things other than pure libertarianism if you let them.

I kind of admire the total dismissal inherent in his worldview. Democracy doesn't work, because women don't want to vote for libertarian jackasses. That's not a problem with libertarianism, it's a problem with democracy!

Empty

i can imagine trump making an off-the-cuff comment like 'thiel should be on the supreme court. great man. he makes excellent decisions. the very best' after reading coverage about gawker closure. i doubt it went further though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom