• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Calibur 3 hasnt done well. People hate best of breed games now?

Deg

Banned
Just curious. Because this game has it all for a fighting game. This is easily my PS2 GOTY. Much better game than Tekken 5.

CO_Andy

2 things wrong w/ this thread:

1) Your thread title is stupid
2) Your comments don't reflect the content of said title

I'm not pointing fingers, but some members look like they need to go back to HS English.

Deg

Banned
Widfara said:
what do you mean when you say it hasn't done well?

Well it flopped badly in the UK. It didnt even chart in the Full price top 40 let alone all top 40. :lol

Which means no one brought the game. No hype, nothing for this game. I was thinking sony might promote exclusives for christmas since MS are launching but guess not. The delays of games to 2006 might be smart.

CO_Andy said:
2 things wrong w/ this thread:

1) Your thread title is stupid
2) Your comments don't reflect the content of said title

I'm not pointing fingers, but some members look like they need to go back to HS English.

I disagree. Maybe i should post the thread title in my post too?

MaestroRyan said:
You're PS2 GOTY? No sir, SOTC is your PS2 GOTY.

GAF: We decide your opinions for you.

Really cool game but not PS2 GOTY.

Solid

Widfara said:
what do you mean when you say it hasn't done well?
total flop in europe. not even in the top 20 on the ps2 chart.

i want it, but i'll wait for it to be £9.99 just like SC2 ;)

Wunderchu

first Psychonauts, then RE4 (GameCube edition), the Tekken 5, then Soul Calibur 3 ....... :( ......... I don't understand why people don't buy great games :(

Namco fucked up and made it for just one system after making the series multiplatform with the second one. At least, that's my opinion. The game itself is pretty good, though.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
MightyHedgehog said:
Namco fucked up and made it for just one system after making the series multiplatform with the second one. At least, that's my opinion. The game itself is pretty good, though.
what he said

and GOTY?

DQVIII, FE PoR, RE4 and SOTC they want to have a word with you.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Wunderchu said:
first Psychonauts, then RE4 (GameCube edition), the Tekken 5, then Soul Calibur 3 ....... :( ......... I don't understand why people don't buy great games :(

But RE4 GC did fairly well in Europe. Got over 300K I believe.

Prine

Banned
Surprised it was released in UK this week. Didnt really like SC2 though, so i wasnt looking out for it.

I've only seen Warriors advert, and i dont know what that game is about. Lots of Nintendogs ads too

Deg

Banned
I dunno. I just think as a franchise it isnt in the same position as DOA or Tekken. SC still needs establishing since its sold well on DC, Xbox and Gc all of which are not so active right now. PS2 gamers know about Tekken but few know about SC still. GC owners know about Smash Bros. and Xbox owners DOA. Maybe thats the case? Shame its not doing well i dont want to see this franchise disappear.

Error2k4 said:
what he said

and GOTY?

DQVIII, FE PoR, RE4 and SOTC they want to have a word with you.

I'm into multiplayer games mostly. Thats why i like BF2 so much.

MaestroRyan said:
Soul Calibur 3 isn't that good because it lacks Link/Gamecube version.

But SC3 has furshading.

Mzo

Soul Calibur was amazing for its time, totally blew me away. And I hate 3D fighters, so it took something special to catch my eye.

Soul Calibur II was more of the same, I played it a bit and never got into it.

I didn't even know Soul Calibur III came out until my friend bought it. The best part is watching the male dancer fight. I thought it was pretty bland.

Sandman42

Guest Characters

FTW
Harleybody.jpg
sqbody_0001.jpg

Sephbody_0001.jpg

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I don't feel Namco fucked up by releasing it for one system as much as they fucked up by releasing a sequel kind of close to SCII without a lot of improvements or changes. They should've waited for 360 or something for at least a noticable step up graphically.

Oblivion

I hope Sony paid Namco enough to cover the losses of the would be GC version.

ShowDog

In a series a games sales are largely due to the games that preceded them. For example.

MGS2 - Highly anticipated, sold very well, got a bad overall rep
MGS3 - Amazing game, much better than MGS2, sold only about 1/2 the amount

Soul Calibur 2 - Highly anticipated, sold very well, some were disapointed, said it felt like SC1 , not improved enough graphics, no noteworthy additional modes
Soul Calibur 3 - Sells more poorly after SC2 didnt deliver as many hoped

Halo - Amazing game, nuff said
Halo 2 - Sold assloads. Many people love it. It's a great game. But some feel it wasnt enough of an improvement on Halo 1. Interesting to see if it's popularity increases or not with Halo 3.

There are plenty more examples I'm sure you can think of. Basically if people werent completely satisfied with a previous game it can make people shy away from further sequels, even though the preceding game was a smashing sales success and the new game is generally regarded to be superb. Though everyone doesnt seem to view SC3 as superb. Never played it personally.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Is it even int he same leauge as tekken 5 though? i thought it was more along the lines of smash brothers and dead or alive. kind of a button masher right?

Deg

Banned
Kiriku said:
I don't feel Namco fucked up by releasing it for one system as much as they fucked up by releasing a sequel kind of close to SCII without a lot of improvements or changes. They should've waited for 360 or something for at least a noticable step up graphically.

What you are saying is silly as you could say that about every PS2 game now. This is the sweet spot period where you get a ton of great games before we start moving to next gen. Game quality suffers the start of each gen. Namco take turns between Tekken and SC. Each gen is roughly 5 years. SC had its turn now its Tekken turn to debut on next gen first.Y ou will get your next gen SC anyway after Tekken 6.

They did improve things in SC3. Gameplay and content wise this is a bigger jump in most ways than SC1 to SC2. Technical graphics its not but the art is much stronger and the impact is stronger as a result. The design of the stages for example. You do have afew cool reflection and fur shading effects in the game too. The backgrounds are very expansive and dynamic now. You get eagles and birds flying about etc.

haunts said:
Is it even int he same leauge as tekken 5 though? i thought it was more along the lines of smash brothers and dead or alive. kind of a button masher right?

No other fighting game is like Sc. Its deep and accesible.

Oblivion

haunts said:

I'm not sure what you're getting at. How much did Tekken 4/5 sell? SSBM is nearing 6 million.

Sagitario

IMO, the reasons were:
1. Too soon for a sequel and lots of good games coming (I'd rather play something new like RE4, DQ8 or SOTC than a sequel to a fighting game, not saying that SC3 is a bad game or is not worth owning).
2. Not multiplatform strategy.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Oblivion said:
I'm not sure what you're getting at. How much did Tekken 4/5 sell? SSBM is nearing 6 million.

I was comparing it on terms of gameplay. I always thought it was kind of a button masher and people didnt take it as seriously as say Tekken, so it dosent suprise me it didnt sell well.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Wunderchu said:
Maybe because of all the high numbers in your list.

Oblivion

haunts said:
I was comparing it on terms of gameplay. I always thought it was kind of a button masher and people didnt take it as seriously as say Tekken, so it dosent suprise me it didnt sell well.

Oh. Well, SSBM is still not a button masher anyhow ;).

Soul Calibur will never be the same to most morons again since it's not on Sega's next destined to fail console.

Which isn't right in the first place because in the hierarchy of fighting games Sega > Namco; especially when it's on a Sega platform. Always. Always. F*cking - always. Anyone that claims otherwise while still waving a Sega fan banner needs to be burned at the stake. >:|

And I got some matches. . .

Deg

Banned
Graphically the game is one of PS2's best. You need to see it in motion to fully appreciate the details they put in the scenery. The only weakness i can say is the textures but Namco tried to put in everything. :D Shame i cant find good shots of the stages. All the stages here have stuff going on in the background. Some are stylistic like animated water reflections to flying eagles and flocks of birds. Others have a war going on with catapults, arrows being used etc.

sc3_49.jpg

sc3_49.jpg

The fire and smoke is unreal in the above pic. Best ever in any game. The smoke is so realistic, it doesnt go through the ceiling but follows it.

sc315.jpg

sc3_07.jpg

sc3_56.jpg

sc3_11.jpg

sc3_28.jpg

sc3_25.jpg

sc3_23.jpg

sc3_21.jpg

sc3_19.jpg

sc3_17.jpg

sc3_27.jpg

sc3_26.jpg

sc3_25.jpg

The above looks like it almost has bump mapping when you play it. This is also a moving stage a crane carries the floor around :) .

Spike

One Soul Calibur game is enough per generation. Since the DC got the first game, then the second came to all three, the third game should have been released on the next gen systems.

Demigod Mac

Namco's mistake was releasing it directly to a console without going through multiple arcade revisions to fix bugs and balance issues that likely did not manifest themselves during standard playtesting.

Deg

Banned
Demigod Mac said:
Namco's mistake was releasing it directly to a console without going through multiple arcade revisions to fix bugs and balance issues that likely did not manifest themselves during standard playtesting.

stuff still got through on SC2 and 1. nothing major however.

Gameplay >>>> Graphics. This game needed at the very least an arcade release. As it is it has game breaking bugs. It's also just more of the same.

No sale.

P.S.

Sega,

please hurry the hell up with VF5

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Timing - SCII came out just last year IIRC
Gameplay/movelist changes didn't sit well with me and many others
Seems rushed and ill-suited for current-gen hardware...as pretty as the game manages to be

Speevy

Banned
Having never played the full version, I can make a few comments.

1) The commercial says "Customize your fighter." or whatever, when the custom characters are ridiculously limited when compared to the create a character options of most games.

2) The commercial says "3 new fighters". What the heck?

Anyway, this is the party to which Gamecube and Xbox owners weren't invited, and it will be remembered as the odd game out for that.

Future

The majority of changes from SC2 and SC3 are mainly fighting system related. Changes to characters and behaviors that I doubt any casual fighting game fans are going to care about. Nothing visually exciting, no new characters for casual fighting fans to get excited about (like say Link in SC2 gamecube), and no significant changes to the fighting system or characters that are clearly for the better.

Plus it's insanely hard for the casual gamer on default settings. The new single player modes are bullshit for the most part. And there is a bug that may just corrupt your save and waste hours worth of time unlocking the zillion unlockables in this game. Cuz of this, I actually hope it doesn't sell too well. Should have waited a year to release this.

Milkman

Deg said:
Well it flopped badly in the UK. It didnt even chart in the Full price top 40 let alone all top 40. :lol

Which means no one brought the game.

Thanks for speaking for the rest of the world? The game hasn't even come out in Japan yet. Guess that serves Namco right for releasing this game in Europe ahead of time for once.

Agent X

Speevy said:
Anyway, this is the party to which Gamecube and Xbox owners weren't invited, and it will be remembered as the odd game out for that.

What about the first Soul Calibur game?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
DaCocoBrova said:
Timing - SCII came out just last year IIRC
Gameplay/movelist changes didn't sit well with me and many others
Seems rushed and ill-suited for current-gen hardware...as pretty as the game manages to be

Soul Calibur II first hit arcades in 2002, and was released for home consoles in 2003. Enough time has passed for a sequel to have been released.

Speevy said:
Having never played the full version, I can make a few comments.

1) The commercial says "Customize your fighter." or whatever, when the custom characters are ridiculously limited when compared to the create a character options of most games.

To be fair, you can unlock a large number of various items and new fight styles to customize your characters with, but yeah, it is pretty limited. SC3 is also the only fighting game that allows you to create your own characters for battle. You can't do this in Tekken, VF, DOA, etc. The game's edit options for the existing characters, however, are pathetically weak. Changing a few colors isn't enough; they should have allowed for more edit options along the lines of Tekken 5 at the least.

2) The commercial says "3 new fighters". What the heck?

Uh...yup. There ARE three new fighters in the game. Four if you want to count the Edge Master-like Owl guy. And that's not taking into account the various unlockable NPCs you can get.

I think it was more of an odd thing seeing a Namco fighting game go crossplatform than it is to see it back on one system. Soul Edge was on the Playstation and based on the System 11 board. Soul Calibur was based on the system 12 board, and the move to the Dreamcast instead of a PSX port like Tekken 3 had was a welcome surprise. I definitely would have preferred a multiplatform release, and I would have loved to have seen online play.

Perhaps the game didn't do as well simply because of the flood of other games that have been released during this season. All of the casual gaming attention is on the Xbox 360 now, too, not the "last-gen" PS2.

Anyanka

I think it just has to do with the lack of Link, hype and so many other things coming out. I think it'll do ok in the long run like the Tekken games do.

i just wish there was an arcade release. I'd play it a lot more if there was. As it is now I still play 2 more.

and Soulcalibur(the game title, not the sword) is one word. Soulcalibur must be the series most often misspelled. It's like Xbox being called "X-Box".

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Anyanka said:
and Soulcalibur(the game title, not the sword) is one word. Soulcalibur must be the series most often misspelled. It's like Xbox being called "X-Box".

That's okay, since the game title itself was misspelled in the first place. :)

Anyanka

I think it's a play on Excalibur. It makes no sense, but whatever.

And what is with it being one word for the game title but two for the sword in the story? A copyright issue? Why could they call the sword "Soul Edge" in the story but could not call the game that for us PSX?

Top Bottom