• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's PS5 Atmos solution is impressive.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
I see it's not talked about that much, but Sony's PS5 Atmos solution is very impressive. I know it's not "real" Atmos, but it sounds amazing, and even when using eARC, I see no delay whatsoever in every game I've tested. I've only come across one bug so far with R&C where it defaults to the TV preset (you can't change it in-game for some stupid reason) even when selecting the right audio option in the system settings. Lip-syncing is perfect and it's making my recent sound bar upgrade seem like the greatest thing ever. I see myself spending more time with my PS5 because of it. I'm really hoping Xbox gets moving on this as well and provides a solution without the awful lag it currently creates, but they haven't done it in what feels like forever.

Anyway, bravo to the engineers at Sony. This is awesome.

I see it's not talked about that much, but Sony's PS5 Atmos solution is very impressive. I know it's not "real" Atmos, but it sounds amazing, and even when using eARC, I see no delay whatsoever in every game I've tested. I've only come across one bug so far with R&C where it defaults to the TV preset (you can't change it in-game for some stupid reason) even when selecting the right audio option in the system settings. Lip-syncing is perfect and it's making my recent sound bar upgrade seem like the greatest thing ever. I see myself spending more time with my PS5 because of it. I'm really hoping Xbox gets moving on this as well and provides a solution without the awful lag it currently creates, but they haven't done it in what feels like forever.

There won't be any solution possible on Xbox as PS5 has dedicated hardware for this to be possible without any lag.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
There won't be any solution possible on Xbox as PS5 has dedicated hardware for this to be possible without any lag.
Right. The Tempest Engine takes care of the 3D audio processing and passes it through an Atmos container, it seems. I wonder if that's how they get around the licensing issue. I still have to assume there is something that can be done to improve latency on the Xbox solution. DTSX has no delay, for instance.

squarealex

Atmos is just a way (container via EAC3) to decode 3D Sounds via Tempest 3D AudioTech.

Don't forget Sony buys Audiokinetic - Wwise, the most used audio software on videogames.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Not sure about Atmos since I loathe everything Dolby (scum and scam).
But I am always impressed when playing with headphones and 3d audio enabled. Right now in Alan Wake remaster I legit am looking behind me to see if it's my wife pranking me

SScorpio

Not sure about Atmos since I loathe everything Dolby (scum and scam).
But I am always impressed when playing with headphones and 3d audio enabled. Right now in Alan Wake remaster I legit am looking behind me to see if it's my wife pranking me
3D audio with headphones has been a thing in gaming for over 20 years. And a quadrophonic speaker setup can create the same effect.

ATMOS is a way to tag the location of different sound effects in a 3D field, and your AVR/Soundbar creates the speaker channels for your setup. So what you are getting with just headphones, but the sound pans around to different speakers in realtime that's optimized for any setup rather than just 5.1, 7.1, 9.1, etc.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
3D audio with headphones has been a thing in gaming for over 20 years. And a quadrophonic speaker setup can create the same effect.

ATMOS is a way to tag the location of different sound effects in a 3D field, and your AVR/Soundbar creates the speaker channels for your setup. So what you are getting with just headphones, but the sound pans around to different speakers in realtime that's optimized for any setup rather than just 5.1, 7.1, 9.1, etc.
I was using both dolby headphones and cmss on creative. It was always shit. I know how it works

Jigsaah

Gold Member
There's so many acronyms and model numbers I don't understand in this thread.

I use Atmos on PC. Is that also...virtual? And is there a reason why that should matter? Is it inferior? Can a layman tell the difference?

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Elaborate on this
I tried it out to replace my busted sound bar. It has a terrible mix for pretty much everything I threw at it with thin center channel performance. It's also very expensive for the quality. The only thing it has going for it really is HDMI 2.1 passthrough. That's the reason I initially purchased it (along with the SA-SW3 sub and SA-RS3S speakers) and I returned all of it after a few days or disappointment.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Atmos isn't just broken on Xbox. it's also broken on PC. On Xbox I switched to uncompressed 7.1 and there is no longer any audio lag on Xbox. That'll do for now. I dont know if the lag has always been there, but I noticed it worst on Calisto Protocol.

On PS5, I still use eARC and I have noticed no lag with Dolby Atmos.

On PC, I took advantage of the fact that my ASUS TUF 4090 has two HDMI ports. I run one straight to my OLED and the other straight to the Soundbar and use DTS:X. No audio lag.

It's possible the Atmos issue might cease to exist since it's not using eARC on PC. I have yet to try, but I am rather happy with DTS:X

My PC is connected my bedroom OLED for gaming and my PS5/XSX are connected to my living room TV. Both use LG soundbars.

Last edited:

soulbait

I am guessing for those complaining about Xbox Atmos lag, you are using eARC? That is the only time I have experienced audio lag on my Xbox. Having it directly hooked into my receiver via HDMI, I do not get any lag.

As for PS5 Atmos, I am looking forward to trying it out (I have not played on my PS5 since Starfield came out) and Spider-Man 2 seems to be the perfect testing for it. Whenever they announced they audio systems during the PS5 presentations, my first thought was how to wrap that in an Atmos container so home theaters could take advantage of it.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
They make arguably one of the best AVR's on the market.
That's great. I'm only sharing my own personal experience with their products. Outside of the HT7000 Sound Bar, I've only tried mostly mid-range products from their audio division. I find them to be very disappointing.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
I am guessing for those complaining about Xbox Atmos lag, you are using eARC? That is the only time I have experienced audio lag on my Xbox. Having it directly hooked into my receiver via HDMI, I do not get any lag.

As for PS5 Atmos, I am looking forward to trying it out (I have not played on my PS5 since Starfield came out) and Spider-Man 2 seems to be the perfect testing for it. Whenever they announced they audio systems during the PS5 presentations, my first thought was how to wrap that in an Atmos container so home theaters could take advantage of it.
I get lag using eARC and even when passing it through on all sound bars I've tried. I assume dedicated receivers have enough processing power to remove the lag.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Yet the whole set to 5.1 restart console set to Atmos, puts the audio back in sync.
So its clearly some sort of software issue as Win11 also suffers the same audio going out of sync thing.

We'll see if it gets sorted in the next dashboard update.

Then what will we claim the issue was, all Series consoles in Win11 machines got new dedicated hardware?

Last edited:

C2brixx

What am I missing here?

I have had Atmos on Xbox for years and it's been amazing with decent headsets for me?

Edit to say I don't perceive any lag either?
This XBox Atmos lag thing was just some select LG tvs/ soundbars. Most never have any issue, but like most negative Xbox issues they get blow out of proportion and take on a life of their own.

phant0m

I can't wait to hear SpiderMan 2 with PS5's Atmos output. It's the first major 1st party release to mix for the height channels since the Atmos update went live :messenger_beaming:
Very stoked on this. Can’t wait for my new atmos towers to arrive.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Can I hijack this thread full of audio enthusiasts to ask a question? The house I recently bought and moved into have pretty nice ceiling speakers installed in most of the common rooms, including where my gaming setup is. They’re accessed through a standard banana plug wall panel.

I know very little about Atmos, but if I were interested in trying to utilize these speakers as part of an Atmos setup, how would I go about doing it? Assume that I have none of the equipment needed yet (no receiver, no standard surround speakers, etc).

Does this implementation actually use height channels? I tested atmos height speakers last year and, while they filled out the sound a bit, it didn’t seem to do anything of substance for games. Are they actually useful now?

FrankWza

Can I hijack this thread full of audio enthusiasts to ask a question? The house I recently bought and moved into have pretty nice ceiling speakers installed in most of the common rooms, including where my gaming setup is. They’re accessed through a standard banana plug wall panel.

I know very little about Atmos, but if I were interested in trying to utilize these speakers as part of an Atmos setup, how would I go about doing it? Assume that I have none of the equipment needed yet (no receiver, no standard surround speakers, etc).
The ceiling speakers would be down firing atmos. Invest in good subwoofers and the biggest center channel that matches your other main speakers. There's also some receivers that are compatible with VRR and may now have high bandwidth you'd want to look into.

• A 5.1.2 or 7.1.2 system uses two ceiling speakers, or two Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers or modules.
  • A 5.1.4 or 7.1.4 system uses four ceiling speakers, or four Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers or modules.
  • A 9.1.2 system adds a pair of front wide speakers to a 7.1.2 layout.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
alot of important people leaving Microsoft lately, weird

Last edited:

Zuzu

What sound bar did you upgrade to?

They make arguably one of the best AVR's on the market.
The display on my Sony receiver crapped out after a year or so and switching inputs is a nightmare. Constant little bugs and displays not showing up, etc. It's the buggiest receiver I've ever owned. I'm going with Denon next time.

S0ULZB0URNE

The display on my Sony receiver crapped out after a year or so and switching inputs is a nightmare. Constant little bugs and displays not showing up, etc. It's the buggiest receiver I've ever owned. I'm going with Denon next time.
Sorry to hear this.
The top 2023 AVR was made by Sony.
I don't own any Sony AVR'S as they are to thick for my entertainment center I am just saying.

Denon gave me HDMI issues and they run to hot for my liking.

I like Pioneer and Yamaha.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Is it worth using this while using headphones or TV speakers?
for headphones, Sony has their own implementation that their Atmos is built off of. I don't think you do anything to turn it on.

TV speakers, has nothing to do with Atmos.

Reallink

Sorry to hear this.
The top 2023 AVR was made by Sony.
I don't own any Sony AVR'S as they are to thick for my entertainment center I am just saying.

Denon gave me HDMI issues and they run to hot for my liking.

I like Pioneer and Yamaha.

The only important and differentiating feature on a modern AVR is the room correction suite, and Sony's solution is quite poor--certainly not on the level of Dirac or even XT32. Audio processing and engineering are utterly trivial by modern standards, meaning the core AMP and DAC sections of any competent AVR have been audibly transparent for at least a decade+. The only mainstream AVR's anyone should be considering is a Denon X3800H on one of the semi-regular ~$900 Adorama sales, or the Onkyo NR7100/Pioneer LX305 (they're sister models, owned by the same conglomerate) on one of the semi-regular $549-$599 Adorama sales.

The lower end Denon's do not have XT32 (nor a Dirac upgrade path), and any other makes in the popular $400-$600 range are obsoleted by the Dirac equipped NR7100/LX305 for nearly the same price or less. Meanwhille the X3800H is the cheapest enthusiast model, with 11 channels of processing, preouts, with an upgrade path to Dirac's full bass managment multi-sub suite (though the license is very expensive). Every other mainstream room correction suite (i.e. YPAO, DCAC, MCACC, AccuEQ, MultiEQ, MEQ XT) range from destructive trash to a net null that basically does nothing. XT32 and Dirac are the only solutions with enough filters and customizability to achieve a clear improvement across the board.

The wattage differences in AVR's is effectively meaningless as the power requirements to achieve a couple more dB of output are exponential. In other words the different in a 80W and 125W amp on a typical 86-90dB effeciency speaker is like 1dB at max volume (basically indistinguisable). You would require an external amp with several hundred watts to gain an actually audible 3 or 4dB increase, and very very few speakers can take that much power without physically blowing out/burning up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom