• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SONY set to JUNK status

They will lose marketshare due to the increased prevalence of tablets and perhaps hybrid devices, but I'd wager 10 years from now when you boot up a laptop or desktop, chances are the Windows logo is going to come up.

I wouldn't be so sure. At least as far as consumer market goes. I don't think people care about the OS anymore as 98% of the stuff they do is on the internet. As long as the computer is fast, stable, and easy to use I think that's all that will matter. Doesn't matter if it is running Mac OS, Linux, or Chrome.

I actually think windows will go the way of the desktop PC. It will be more of a specialty, for businesses and hospitals and what not.

sono

SONY is a 168B dollar company much bigger than MS /Apple

I did not know that Sony was much bigger than MS. If thats correct they cant be that junk.

In any event I love the innovation that Sony shows from time to time. I wish them well.

Triple U

Banned
I did not know that Sony was much bigger than MS. If thats correct they cant be that junk.

In any event I love the innovation that Sony shows from time to time. I wish them well.
Their profits are way down and they have a huge amount of debt. Their situation looks alot better though.

hahahaaaaaaa posters like these are why we have crappy IAs all over US firms

MS is the company that will have a rough time in the future since Windows/PC will be history in a few years and they cant compete with Apple/Android in tablet/smartphone biz

SONY just like all other Japanese corps lost money because of poor exchange rate. They returned to black for the last 2 years but couldnt post net profit as a result of deferred taxations by Jap govt

With Xperia Z/new Bravia TVs and PS4 SONY will be back firmly in the black this fiscal annum
I didn't know that you studied Business Economics.

Xbudz

Cash and deposits decreased to about 420 billion yen

stonerdog-150x220.jpg

MS is the company that will have a rough time in the future since Windows/PC will be history in a few years and they cant compete with Apple/Android in tablet/smartphone biz

SONY just like all other Japanese corps lost money because of poor exchange rate. They returned to black for the last 2 years but couldnt post net profit as a result of deferred taxations by Jap govt

With Xperia Z/new Bravia TVs and PS4 SONY will be back firmly in the black this fiscal annum

168B dollar companies can still be insolvent. That's why they're being cut to junk status. because it's a Very risky company to invest in.

How do you count that? Total assets + equity?

That's a good question

"Shares of Sony, Panasonic and Sharp sank to their lowest levels in more than 30 years in Tokyo this year as investors remain unconvinced the companies can rebound from mounting losses without hit products. The three companies combined are valued at $24 billion, compared with $528 billion for Apple and $192 billion for Suwon, South Korea-based Samsung. "

Mononoke

Banned
You guys won't be happy when Casual/Social/Tablet gaming becomes the new norm and MS and Apple will be the only major game companies left standing.

JWong

Banned
You guys won't be happy when Casual/Social/Tablet gaming becomes the new norm and MS and Apple will be the only major game companies left standing.

What? I'm pretty sure Google will be the one left standing because MS and Apple are headed downhill right now.

They will lose marketshare due to the increased prevalence of tablets and perhaps hybrid devices, but I'd wager 10 years from now when you boot up a laptop or desktop, chances are the Windows logo is going to come up.

I'd wager that 10 years from now laptops and desktops will be like antiques from the past and very rare thing in people's homes.

Anecdotally speaking, even nowadays nobody I know has a desktop in their home except for a few people with iMacs and a couple of PC gaming enthusiasts. Laptops have essentially replaced desktops and tablets are in the process of replacing laptops.

Melchiah

Whenever it's leveled at someone, I always take the two minutes to check their post history :)

I nowadays tend to check the profile of the one who threw the term. More often than not, those blaming others are fanboys themselves.

Drugs are bad :(

Taurus

HA_HA_HA,_OH_WOW.jpg

The first paragraph of his post laughing at someone else makes it even better.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

Well the odd bump was worth it for this gem lol

I wouldn't be so sure. At least as far as consumer market goes. I don't think people care about the OS anymore as 98% of the stuff they do is on the internet. As long as the computer is fast, stable, and easy to use I think that's all that will matter. Doesn't matter if it is running Mac OS, Linux, or Chrome.

I actually think windows will go the way of the desktop PC. It will be more of a specialty, for businesses and hospitals and what not.

So true. The only thing people wants is a smooth interface and no headaches. just the opposite of what Windows 8 gives

Maxim726X

Doesn't Apple have $130 billion in cash sitting around doing nothing?

Yes. They have much more capital on hand then Sony does and it's not even close.

Sony had to sell office space this quarter to stay in the black. Companies flush in cash don't need to do this.

Just quoting this for hilarity's sake.

Did he take Sony's market cap in yen and think it was USD?
How can you even do that? You see that number compares to Apple and MS and alarms don't go off that something's wrong.

"168B!Much bigger than Apple, MS, Google, Samsung. Yep. Makes sense. Sony is the BESTEST!"

Shayan

Banned

Maxim726X

oh wow

it came this far

SONY is a 161B company in terms of total assets

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bs?s=SNE+Balance+Sheet&annual

MS is a 121B company in terms of total assets

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bs?s=MSFT+Balance+Sheet&annual

MC is irrelevant . It is just sad to see so many IA wannabes respond to posts without knowing anything

http://siliconangle.com/blog/2012/0...rket-cap-while-sony-reports-6-4b-annual-loss/

Oh, and:

http://www.notenoughshaders.com/2012/09/08/the-ten-year-decline-of-sony/

You really have absolutely no idea what you're talking about- At all. Market Cap is at slightly over 17 billion, down from 100 billion from 2000. And you neglect to mention their liabilities, which as of June 2012 is over 135 billion.

Just stop.

Edit: MC is irrelevant?? What?

Codeblew

oh wow

it came this far

SONY is a 161B company in terms of total assets

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bs?s=SNE+Balance+Sheet&annual

MS is a 121B company in terms of total assets

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bs?s=MSFT+Balance+Sheet&annual

MC is irrelevant . It is just sad to see so many IA wannabes respond to posts without knowing anything

I am rooting for Sony but come on man. From your own links:

Sony: 24B stockholder equity
MS: 66B stockholder equity

Liabilities matter bro.

Shayan

Banned
http://siliconangle.com/blog/2012/0...rket-cap-while-sony-reports-6-4b-annual-loss/

Oh, and:

http://www.notenoughshaders.com/2012/09/08/the-ten-year-decline-of-sony/

You really have absolutely no idea what you're talking about- At all. Market Cap is at slightly over 17 billion, down from 100 billion from 2000. And you neglect to mention their liabilities, which as of June 2012 is over 135 billion.

Just stop.

Edit: MC is irrelevant?? What?

MC is irrelevant in volatile markets . Investors mood/ positive news are just what you need for stock

again , you have no idea on what you are quoting. Apple stock was over 600$ when their MC hit 600B . Now it is at 400B and soon way below that since MC is based on stock price and float . Lol that not liabilities LOL . Mostly all that is based on future investments and deferred inventory adjustments

In your BS . your TA must match your TL. It doesnt mean that all you have are liabilties

Again , we have posters responding without any proper knowledge

I am rooting for Sony but come on man. From your own links:

Sony: 24B stockholder equity
MS: 66B stockholder equity

Liabilities matter bro.

Thats also because of the future investments . That 66B also mean that stockholders have a greater stake in the company . Like i said, dont respond for the sake of responding

Maxim726X

MC is irrelevant in volatile markets . Investors mood/ positive news are just what you need for stock

again , you have no idea on what you are quoting. Apple stock was over 600$ when their MC hit 600B . Now it is at 400B and soon way below that since MC is based on stock price and float . Lol that not liabilities LOL . Mostly all that is based on future investments and deferred inventory adjustments

In your BS . your TA must match your TL. It doesnt mean that all you have are liabilties

Again , we have posters responding without any proper knowledge

Thats also because of the future investments . That 66B also mean that stockholders have a greater stake in the company . Like i said, dont respond for the sake of responding

Is this English?

Just to be sure, you're saying that liabilities don't matter? Gotcha.

Shayan

Banned
Is this English?

Just to be sure, you're saying that liabilities don't matter? Gotcha.

Lol, in your balance sheet , your total liabilities must match your total assets . Any form of future investments is coded as a liability in your balance sheet. It doesnt mean that you are in immense debt

They are usually referred as TA and TL . Learn how MC is deduced before responding further

I admit I am not knowledged but that is some crazy number talk that needs to be digested.

Not digested, ignored. It's bullshit. Market cap is the only measure worth knowing when valuing a company. It's the best guide. If you think Sony is undervalued after looking at their profile and then their market cap then invest, if not then don't. Looking at total assets held is a terrible measure since Sony own a bank which has a massive balance sheet.

Maxim726X

Lol, in your balance sheet , your total liabilities must match your total assets

They are usually referred as TA and TL . Learn how MC is deduced before responding further

I know what they mean, chief.

You still haven't responded... Maybe because you don't understand what I'm saying. It seems you don't comprehend English very well, so I'll ask again:

Sony has 135 billion in liabilities. Why do you neglect to mention that?

Not digested, ignored. It's bullshit. Market cap is the only measure worth knowing when valuing a company. It's the best guide. If you think Sony is undervalued after looking at their profile and then their market cap then invest, if not then don't. Looking at total assets held is a terrible measure since Sony own a bank which has a massive balance sheet.

Apparently market cap is a useless metric. The entire financial world will turn on its head when they hear this news.

Shayan

Banned

MC has and will never be a good indicator of a company . Tell that to the people who are having sleepless night with Apple's call/put contracts of 1000$ a share

Any form of positive /negative news could propel/decimate stock prices since people want to make profit and love to believe in whatever news that comes out

MC fluctuates every day . It is based on float*share price . Had MC been really a good measure then everyone would have become millionaires from OTC BB stocks

An knowledgeable IA /investor would always resort to fundamental analysis before making an investment

I know what they mean, chief.

You still haven't responded... Maybe because you don't understand what I'm saying. It seems you don't comprehend English very well, so I'll ask again:

Sony has 135 billion in liabilities. Why do you neglect to mention that?

Apparently market cap is a useless metric. The entire financial world will turn on its head when they hear this news.
I wont respond to you any further since had you really understood anything then you would have known that Apple lost 30% of its MC in the last few months and currently at most broker houses, AAPL requirements are at 40% as opposed to 30% (for non OTC stock , if t trades over 5$ at NASDAQ/NYSE, you usually need only a 30% margin requirement at all broker houses in NA). Most trade analysts consider AAPL as a very volatile stock. In the balance sheet any future investment is coded as a liability. It is not worth arguing since you dont know

Try knowing before responding .

MC has and will never be a good indicator of a company . Tell that to the people who are having sleepless night with Apple's call/put contracts of 1000$ a share

Any form of positive /negative news could propel/decimate stock prices since people want to make profit and love to believe in whatever news that comes out

MC fluctuates every day . It is based on float*share price . Had MC been really a good measure then everyone would have become millionaires from OTC BB stocks

I'm an analyst for one of the world's top banks.

Lol, in your balance sheet , your total liabilities must match your total assets . Any form of future investments is coded as a liability in your balance sheet. It doesnt mean that you are in immense debt

LOL. This is embarrassing now. Stop.

Seems like you're your knowledge is limited to a high school intro accounting class.
Total Assets is NOT how you judge a companies value.

I'm an analyst for one of the world's top banks.

That was cold as ice but needed. This is getting ridiculous so a nice dose of reality (and knowledge is necessary).

I used to be like him (as an Economics major). I'd start spouting garbage based on my Intro Macroeconomics class and try to apply it to real world economies. Regardless, I was excited as hell to pretend like I knew what I was talking about.

Top Bottom