• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SONY set to JUNK status

http://www.forbes.com/sites/benzingainsights/2012/11/27/sony-dell-win-big-with-windows-8-sales/

I hope Sony take note of this small success and turn Vaio into a margin product rather than volume. There is enough room for Sony to become to the default premium Windows tablet vendor to compete with Apple.

The 1080p convertible tablet is actually a great device and it deserves the success. I was close to getting one until I realised that it would just become a toy and I decided on the Nexus 10 instead.

I feel kinda bad that every time I hear about Sony in dire straits I just get excited that maybe they'll sell the Spider-Man movie rights back to Disney.

Just let that happen, then Sony can make whatever comeback they want.

Good news on the battery division sale. It's a non-core asset which doesn't make money. I bet they can get the Japanese government to overpay for it as well if they threaten to sell to a Chinese company.

Wasn't it sony that announced some months back that they were working on a battery that would recharge itself based on heat? Maybe it was another company or maybe I'm imagining things.

noobie

Banned
I am sorry for bringing such an old thread.. But with Sony looking so bleak.. i thought its right to put some positive news on this thread also. Although surely Sony is still in precarious condition but there are some positive signs too finally on the execution side. Let see if they turn out to be big also..

Over 8.1 million gamers around the world watched the PlayStation Meeting 2013 press conference that officially announced Sony’s PlayStation 4 is coming this Christmas. There’s been a ton of press coverage of the event, and stories on N4G and other aggregate sites about PS4 remain hot topics.

Social media research firm Fizziology keeps a close watch on Twitter, Facebook and key blogs to track what press and consumers are saying and thinking about things. When it comes to PS4, things are looking very good for Sony’s PS4 launch. Twenty-nine percent of all social media chatter around the PS4 were gamers announcing their intent to buy the new console. According to Jen Handley, COO and Co-Creator of Fizziology, this type of buzz this early, before the console price point has even been announced, paints a picture for a strong lanch for Sony. She breaks down the numbers in this exclusive interview.

Article link below

Fizziology Exec Says Social Media Buzz Points To Strong Demand For Sony PlayStation 4

BibiMaghoo

Fom the fucking dead.

I think there is a thread about Sony stock going up and their status being upgraded.

Don't have a link though.

Triple U

Banned
I am sorry for bringing such an old thread.. But with Sony looking so bleak.. i thought its right to put some positive news on this thread also. Although surely Sony is still in precarious condition but there are some positive signs too finally on the execution side. Let see if they turn out to be big also..

Article link below

Fizziology Exec Says Social Media Buzz Points To Strong Demand For Sony PlayStation 4

You should make a new thread. New news new thread.

Let's not ignore the Xperia Z's reviews and success in Europe either. Sony's restructuring and acquisitions look like they'll br finally paying off this year.

I'm fairly confident the ps4 wil do very well so long as they price it between $399 - $450 . If the system doesn't do well I don't just fear for Sony, I fear for the industry.

Spinluck

If you believe they'll turn it round then now's the time.

Personally I don't see the PS4 saving them, even though it needs to given their other products are all so ordinary. Judging by Vita, they don't seem to know what's up anymore. PS4 will probably be another expensive and lumbering beast, with fewer fans behind it than the PS3.

People were always far more invested in Sony home consoles than their handhelds.

spekkeh

Banned
http://www.forbes.com/sites/benzingainsights/2012/11/27/sony-dell-win-big-with-windows-8-sales/

I hope Sony take note of this small success and turn Vaio into a margin product rather than volume. There is enough room for Sony to become to the default premium Windows tablet vendor to compete with Apple.

The 1080p convertible tablet is actually a great device and it deserves the success. I was close to getting one until I realised that it would just become a toy and I decided on the Nexus 10 instead.

I think this is about the Ultrabook, not the Duo Touch, which I believe was critically mauled and not a good product at all.

edit: crap, ancient post.

Rawker

this all sucks for Sony but come on now who hasn't seen this coming. they have been selling off real estate assets inorder to try and get them out of the red for this fiscal year and to improve their image. i mean who's going to invest or support a new console for a company who's constantly losing more and more money every year and not showing any signs of change. seriously though they have been very lucky with their gaming division. every console has been sold at a loss for like the first 3 years of it's lifespan, couple that with heavy research and design bills. i think they made the smart move by going mainstream with their design of the ps4 and cutting the research and design investment from previous consoles.

it all seems like they are trying to just keep their head above water.

noobie

Banned
You should make a new thread. New news new thread.

I think this not-so-renowned-company give an analysis on social media is not so news worthy itself. Forbes highlighting it is something making it a bit worthy.. but still not NEW NEOGAF thread worthy

But if u want to make a new thread.. u can make it..

Marco1

My biggest complaint with Sony at the moment is when you're investing your money in an ecosystem you expect that ecosystem to work with everything.
If I buy a game or song on the ios app store, it works seamlessly with all of my iphones and ipads.
But if I buy a game on my PS3 PSN store then it won't work on PS4. Sony have the handheld, console, MP3 and TV market yet the whole thing seems divided.

seems the op turned out false.
junk status has since been upgrade to neutral or buy by many investment research companies.

sony was trading a $9 a share when the op was posted, now its at $17.

BlackJace

junk status has since been upgrade to neutral or buy by many investment research companies.

How is it false? The situation was improved over time, this being an old thread.

Triple U

Banned
I think this not-so-renowned-company give an analysis on social media is not so news worthy itself. Forbes highlighting it is something making it a bit worthy.. but still not NEW NEOGAF thread worthy

I've seen far worse but why not.

sTeLioSco

Banned

nintendo fanboys expected the wiiu to be successful,what makes you think they are great business analysts??

Oshimai

Maybe they won't show it at all? The final product will be a mystery box.

cube.png

no they need an eye catching design, not a generic looking black box.

Look what happened to Wii U, nintendo decided to ignore the box completely and now people think Wii U is just a controller
I really don't think the looks of the console have anything to do with the success of Wii U or PS4 (and I mean as long as it isn't some butt ugly abomination). I mean for Wii U it kind of does but that is a problem that stems from the name. If it was called Wii 2 it could be a carbon copy and not matter.

I really don't think Sony will go for anything crazy with design. It will be a black box and they will try to make it look as sexy as possible with given size.

i-Lo

Look what happened to Wii U, nintendo decided to ignore the box completely and now people think Wii U is just a controller

Does anyone really believe that anyone will confuse the DS4 for PS4 given the controller was both shown off explicitly with details and it doesn't have a screen? Don't think anyone sane will.

I think that has more to do with the fact that it's Wii-U. U doesn't imply a next step. 2 > 3 > 4 does.

What is the PS4? How would the media define it? How will the non hardcore gaming crowd describe it? Right now PS4 is associated with the Dual Shock 4, and just some intangible media of launch games.

Sony needs to come out a show a good looking box, "This is the PS4, this is the controller, and these are the games." I think Nintendo made a big mistake by hiding the box itself.

BlazinAm

That is your opinion anyway. I think it will foster better discussion overall which I think was Evilore's point.

i-Lo

What is the PS4? How would the media define it? How will the non hardcore gaming crowd describe it? Right now PS4 is associated with the Dual Shock 4, and just some intangible media of launch games.

Sony needs to come out a show a good looking box, "This is the PS4, this is the controller, and these are the games." I think Nintendo made a big mistake by hiding the box itself.

E3.

Shayan

Banned
It's really gonna be odd lots of name brand Japanese electronics giants will go under in the next 5-10 years.

Panasonic, Sharp, Sony will have a rough time .

hahahaaaaaaa posters like these are why we have crappy IAs all over US firms

SONY is a 168B dollar company much bigger than MS /Apple

MS is the company that will have a rough time in the future since Windows/PC will be history in a few years and they cant compete with Apple/Android in tablet/smartphone biz

SONY just like all other Japanese corps lost money because of poor exchange rate. They returned to black for the last 2 years but couldnt post net profit as a result of deferred taxations by Jap govt

With Xperia Z/new Bravia TVs and PS4 SONY will be back firmly in the black this fiscal annum

Somnid

hahahaaaaaaa posters like these are why we have crappy IAs all over US firms

SONY is a 168B dollar company much bigger than MS /Apple

MS is the company that will have a rough time in the future since Windows/PC will be history in a few years and they cant compete with Apple/Android in tablet/smartphone biz

SONY just like all other Japanese corps lost money because of poor exchange rate. They returned to black for the last 2 years but couldnt post net profit as a result of deferred taxations by Jap govt

With Xperia Z/new Bravia TVs and PS4 SONY will be back firmly in the black this fiscal annum

Well somebody is optimistic.

Shayan

Banned
Well somebody is optimistic.

These are facts . like i said its sad that people post whatever they want to believe

The company lost money in 11 because of poor exchange rate and they are firmly back in the black this year

As for Sharp/Panasonic ..they are having problems because of non diversified portfoilo. The companies focused just too much on flat panel TVs much like AOL

These are facts . like i said its sad that people post whatever they want to believe

The company lost money in 11 because of poor exchange rate rate and they are firmly back in the black this year

I do believe you painted yourself in the corner with your Microsoft comment above. Seems somebody is a fanboy.

Hex

Banned
I do believe you painted yourself in the corner with your Microsoft comment above. Seems somebody is a fanboy.

The fanboy thing, really not needed.
Kind of takes it to a level that detracts from things and can turn things ugly.
Just saying.

Edit: nvm seems it is being tossed around in here like crazy on all sides. I'm out!

I do think someone was commenting on what the design of the PS4 will look like . I want sexxy like their new phones and hardware.

that MS comment is also true unless they magically come up with an OS that can compete with Google/Apple in tablet/smartphone biz .

They will lose marketshare due to the increased prevalence of tablets and perhaps hybrid devices, but I'd wager 10 years from now when you boot up a laptop or desktop, chances are the Windows logo is going to come up.

Orca

The fanboy thing, really not needed.
Kind of takes it to a level that detracts from things and can turn things ugly.
Just saying.

Edit: nvm seems it is being tossed around in here like crazy on all sides. I'm out!

I do think someone was commenting on what the design of the PS4 will look like . I want sexxy like their new phones and hardware.

Whenever it's leveled at someone, I always take the two minutes to check their post history :)

Top Bottom