• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony reportedly in talks to sell PC ops (Vaio PC business), shares jump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinfamy

Its good business but it still makes me sad, I liked variety.
Asus and Sony made the best laptops, now its just Asus for me.

spwolf

Their main focuses also used to include music, television, and computers as well.
So... Why not?

their focus is still on music and tv's... vaio's are fine, they just are not cheap enough..

it seems to me that this would be more of JV, not just sale... Lenovo doesnt really have money to buy, thats why stock went down so much.

diaspora

Yeah... "was" over ten years ago.
Since Kaz took over, it's Game, Digital Imaging and Mobile.
And it's a very stong (and famous) brand worldwide.
So no, it's surely not "on the table to sell".

There's no money to be made in consoles, so yes it surely at least be on the table to turf.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I don't think they should be in TVs, computers or laptops, tablets, or mobile. I'd also consider scaling back cameras and focusing on the sensor business, which has less risk and more reward. Sony should primarily be a content and services company long-term. They don't win on engineering because they are typically positioned as a premium consumer brand, not high enough to be a luxury brand, not cheap enough to compete in commoditized markets, rarely best of breed.

char0n

Good call, I love Vaio stylings but all of that branded products I've had experience with have had some seriously cheap/flawed technical components (HDDs that fail after a year, bluetooth/wifi that never works right, graphics chips they stop supporting while they still have major driver issues, 2 laptops of the same model that had the same issue with the power outlet internal pin breaking off...)

I'd get out of the tv business as well,
that market has to suck.
focus on getting that 4k wall projector as cheap as possible and if they manage to get it to a mass market price keep it as their single 'tv'

jstripes

Banned
They may as well get out of the PC business. They can't compete on the low-end, and Apple has the high-end pretty much to themselves.

PCs are going out of fashion, anyway. May as well leave that market to others, and pump that money into the mobile division to focus on tablets and phones.

diaspora

I don't think they should be in TVs, computers or laptops, tablets, or mobile. I'd also consider scaling back cameras and focusing on the sensor business, which has less risk and more reward. Sony should primarily be a content and services company long-term. They don't win on engineering because they are typically positioned as a premium consumer brand, not high enough to be a luxury brand, not cheap enough to compete in commoditized markets, rarely best of breed.

I agree, but I'd also say that I wouldn't mind them leaving consumer hardware in general outside of sensors/ mirrorless cameras with an emphasis being placed on sensors. The main reason I'd include mirrorless is largely because it's a great growth market everywhere outside of North America, they're huge in Asia and Europe. Bringing their services and content through Playstation Now and other channels to a wide array of devices would be a great subscription opportunity and the best/ most accessible way for them to get into everyone's living room.

Forsete

Gold Member
laptops, tablets, or mobile. I'd also consider scaling back cameras and focusing on the sensor business, which has less risk and more reward.

Sony is already huge when it comes to sensors, and they are not scaling back. Why should they scale back when they have had such success with the NEX cameras and later Cybershot models?

Also, mobile is improving ever since they bought out Ericsson. Z1, Z1 Compact. They are pretty big in Europe and Japan it seems. Sooner or later people will get tired of Samsungs tired Galaxy line and look for something fresh. ;P

Raistlin

Damn.

Lenovo will now own the IP (and in this case R&D) for arguably the best business line of PC laptops (ThinkPad) ... and best consumer line of PC laptops (VAIO).

Impressive fucking lineup of devices there.

diaspora

Sony is already huge when it comes to sensors, and they are not scaling back. Why should they scale back when they have had such success with the NEX cameras and later Cybershot models?

Also, mobile is improving ever since they bought out Ericsson. Z1, Z1 Compact. They are pretty big in Europe and Japan it seems. Sooner or later people will get tired of Samsungs tired Galaxy line and look for something fresh. ;P

As far as your first point is concerned, I think Stump agrees. Seems like he's saying to focus on sensors. Their mobile game is improving but it's still not particularly great yet. I don't think Sony's yet made the case for having their Xperia phones be a convincing alternative to the Galaxy line- especially with their asinine nomenclature.

Not even the CEO agrees with you...so No

Sony still making TVs is a pretty good example of the CEO being a fuckwit.

Forsete

Gold Member
As far as your first point is concerned, I think Stump agrees. Seems like he's saying to focus on sensors. .

Yes I know and I pointed out they already are investing in sensors. Imaging is one of the "pillars" IIRC, together with games and mobile.

Tablo

Damn, end of an era. Sony is able to make great windows machines.
I didn't really like their newer stuff though. Eh as long as someone decent acquires it I'm happy.

diaspora

seems like a great move! Next they need to shut down the tv business and kill the movie studio.

If it's current performance continues, it should. If Sony can figure out a cohesive content distribution strategy for all of their entertainment- gaming, film, music to a wide array of devices it can be useful. Not sure if it's worth having faith in them though.

If it's current performance continues, it should. If Sony can figure out a cohesive content distribution strategy for all of their entertainment- gaming, film, music to a wide array of devices it can be useful. Not sure if it's worth having faith in them though.

yup. Did you see about the whitehouse attack? So fucking stupid and shitty and it bombed on top of it. I am betting these guys are using Sony's money and living lavishly. Kaz should keep a close eye on the movie studio.

nubbe

No way Lenovo would buy them, their offers are already way beyond everyone else
I don't know whom would buy that brand

vpance

Damn.

Lenovo will now own the IP (and in this case R&D) for arguably the best business line of PC laptops (ThinkPad) ... and best consumer line of PC laptops (VAIO).

Impressive fucking lineup of devices there.

Lenovo has nothing to do with this. They're selling it off to an investment fund, Japan Industrial Partners.

Maybe it's a government bailout in disguise. Zomg can enlighten us on that.

B.O.O.M

Sony still making TVs is a pretty good example of the CEO being a fuckwit.

No it shows you have no clue about how a business is run. You just don't abandon ship in a large corporation as this. You first try to salvage it because in the long run that's the best thing for a company. If all fails then you move on to other options, It's not a process that's done in a short period of time because there are many factors involved

It's easier to crack smart/dumb ass comments like yours.. but at least back it up with something of substance. Especially since Kaz isn't even focusing on TV to be one of their main strengths going forward. Here, read up and educate yourself a bit

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Kaz-...rience-across-all-company-electronics_id28465

Are they making any money from SOE and Sony pictures?

I'm not sure about Sony Pictures, but Sony's CGI Animation subsidiary Sony Pictures Animation has been successful with their most recent films...or at least successful enough to turn a profit.

Hotel Transylvania
$85 million production budget (reported) / $104 million real production budget (Deadline)
+ Marketing budget

Gross: $346,903,784
Let's say Sony ends up with 50% of this income = $173 million in profits for Sony
+ DVD / Blu-Ray sales

Sony's official response to success:
"Very satisfied with performance, will make sequel"

The Smurfs 2
$105 million production budget (reported) / $125 million real production budget (Deadline)
+ Marketing Budget

Gross: $347,545,360
Let's say Sony ends up with 50% of this income = $174 million in profits for Sony
+ DVD / Blu-Ray sales

"Very disappointing compared to predecessor, we had higher expectations for its success, but successful enough to continue with sequel"

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2
$78 million production budget (reported)
+ Marketing Budget

Gross: $260,812,924
Let's say Sony ends up with 50% of this income = $130 million in profits for Sony
+ DVD / Blu-Ray sales

"Performing to expectations"

B.O.O.M

I'm not sure about Sony Pictures, but Sony's CGI Animation subsidiary Sony Pictures Animation has been successful with their most recent films...or at least successful enough to turn a profit.

Hotel Transylvania
$85 million production budget (reported) / $104 million real production budget (Deadline)
+ Marketing budget

Gross: $346,903,784
Let's say Sony ends up with 50% of this income = $173 million in profits for Sony
+ DVD / Blu-Ray sales

"Very satisfied with performance, will make sequel"

The Smurfs 2
$105 million production budget (reported) / $125 million real production budget (Deadline)
+ Marketing Budget

Gross: $347,545,360
Let's say Sony ends up with 50% of this income = $174 million in profits for Sony
+ DVD / Blu-Ray sales

"Very disappointing compared to predecessor, we had higher expectations for its success, but successful enough to continue with sequel"

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2
$78 million production budget (reported)
+ Marketing Budget

Gross: $260,812,924
Let's say Sony ends up with 50% of this income = $130 million in profits for Sony
+ DVD / Blu-Ray sales

"Performing to expectations"

Sony's post summer flicks did pretty well too afaik. Captain Philips and American Hustle comes to mind

Would be interesting to see how they do this year with films like Robo Cop/Spider Man

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
What if Lenovo made a modern iteration of the Vaio P?
6b9NKNR.jpg

:Q___

It looks kinda silly

but I want it I need it

spwolf

This seems to be real story:

TOKYO -- Sony is in talks to unload its sluggish personal computer operations to investment fund Japan Industrial Partners, part of a business overhaul designed to shift focus to smartphones, The Nikkei learned Tuesday.

Under the plan, the fund will establish a new company to which Sony will sell its entire PC business. The sale price is estimated at 40 billion yen to 50 billion yen ($391 million to $489 million).

The new entity would continue to sell PCs under the Vaio brand and also handle after-sales service. To facilitate the transfer, Sony will take only a small stake in the firm, which will try to solidify its business base at home. While the company may maintain operations in overseas markets where the Vaio brand is well-known, it will withdraw from most countries and regions.

Sony's PC business has a staff of roughly 1,000. Many of them, including executives, will be taken on by the new firm, but some others will be transferred to other departments within Sony. The parties are discussing having Sony's PC site in Nagano Prefecture continue handling R&D and production under the new company.

The sale of the PC business will result in disposal losses, pushing Sony into a net loss for the first time in two years for the year ending March 31 -- a reversal from the projected 30 billion yen in profit. With TV and digital camera operations languishing, its electronics business is performing below expectations.

http://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Deals/Sony-looking-to-sell-PC-business-to-investment-fund

spwolf

In general, Sony Pictures makes money... but this year White House Down and After Earth did really bad, as well as some chick vampire flick... A lot of other movies outperformed though so overall they will still make money.

Their Sony Music is #1 world wide...

There seems to be a future in everything except for PC stuff... they simply dont seem to be committed to it.

jakncoke

Banned
Didnt the most recent credit firm to lower their rating to junk base it mainly on Sonys TV/PC section? So I guess Sony finally waking up and trimming some fat? Now if they'd do something with the tv like at least releasing less models

satam55

Banned
Anybody who thinks Sony should sell-off it's Entertainment (Film/TV/Music) division is a FUCKING idiot. Sony is ALWAYS gonna be able to make money from that Division because their 1 of the Big content providers. All the streaming/Digital download services, TV Networks, Movie theaters, & etc. have to go to Sony for content. Kaz made right call on not spinning-off the entertainment division. Content is KING.

Mario007

Anybody who thinks Sony should sell-off it's Entertainment (Film/TV/Music) division is a FUCKING idiot. Sony is ALWAYS gonna be able to make money from that Division because their 1 of the Big content providers. All the streaming/Digital download services, TV Networks, Movie theaters, & etc. have to go to Sony for content. Kaz made right call on not spinning-off the entertainment division. Content is KING.
Well the proposal was to spin it off as a separate entity with Sony maintaining 60% of the shares and thus most of the control and keeping the profits. It was going to be used for a more transparent reporting (as it is hard to really see how the various divisions are doing the way Sony reports them) and also as a vehicle for potential investors to jump aboard due to the fact that, as you pointed out, it's a profitable division.

Kaz made the decision to refuse it becasue he wants to integrate the division with the hardware divisions. We'll see how he fares in that regard. Seeing the various offers for the Xperia flagship receiving exclusive Sony entertainment content and SPE being on PS4 or even SPE making movies out of gaming IPs is the right way to go if he wants to continue down this route.

Fezan

But i loved vaio brand. They look fantastic and have a great value. I dont know why people say vaio are expensive. E.g i bought vaio fit 15. All other brands dell hp were similarly priced but vaio had much better screen. Higher res too. Similarly vaio flip has very innovative design wise and vaio pro are also competitively priced

zeopower6

I hate VAIOs

Crappy software, bad design, worst value

Its the most returned laptop at my store

They're pretty good imo... though for the most part like 10/12 of the last few desktops/laptops that have entered this house have been Vaios. They don't last for very long with heavy use though. :( Maybe a year or two....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom