• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony is stopping publishers from supporting game pass

Status
Not open for further replies.

j.k.2021

Banned
cb9101c42e866014c3e1a14d5212be6c31461b31ebbc7c052f7797e020aac60c.jpg

Last edited:

anthony2690

Gold Member
We already know this/assumed this.
Also Activision/Blizzard acquisition thread exists.

Look I have preference for Xbox too, but these threads are making you look very insecure.

I would also imagine Xbox has similar deals with some of their Xbox game pass deals too, that prevent them coming to ps+ for a while.

cireza

This has been known for a long time. It is part of exclusivity negotiations to exclude putting games on competitor services etc...

But it would still be interesting to have the details about Sony's recent exclusivity deals and their content.

reksveks

This is a rather pointless thread and story, it's already known to some extent. Until we know about what extent, then it's just a rehash.

anthony2690

Gold Member
First start a "Yay, Gamepass is on fire" thread and then follow up with a "Sony stops Gamepass being on fire" thread by pulling out an old story from the "We all knew that" chamber.

With each passing day, the hardcore console warriors on both sides grow more and more desperate.
I'll never understand why people focus so much on something they are not interested or invested in. (The amount of concern threads or point scoring we get from warriors is comical)

I think these people need to focus on the things they do enjoy playing instead.

Last edited:

Lasha

Isn't this what exclusivity deals mean? I don't get it.

Microsoft alleges that there are specific anti-gamepass clauses for titles which are otherwise available for sale on Xbox. Microsoft's defense is bolstered if such agreements exist because it damages the credibility of Sony's objections to the deal.

jzosa

This is just Microsoft stating/arguing. Such allegations require evidence and so far, there is none.

That’s why they are trying to subpoena Sony exclusivity deals documents and Sony moved to have it quash, and such was subsequently rejected.

It’s somewhat ironic that MS is relying on Sony docs so they can move forward with their acquisition.

Topher

Gold Member
Microsoft alleges that there are specific anti-gamepass clauses for titles which are otherwise available for sale on Xbox. Microsoft's defense is bolstered if such agreements exist because it damages the credibility of Sony's objections to the deal.

No, Microsoft says this will aide in their defense, but whether or not it does remains to be seen. Either way, this is old news. We knew from the Apple Epic leaks that Sony's marketing agreements had clauses preventing the games from being on competitor's subscription services. It is irrelevant though as games like Resident Evil Village and Hogwarts Legacy were never going to be on Game Pass during the terms of the marketing agreement in any case. Hell, Resident Evil Village has been out of marketing time period specified for months and it still isn't on Game Pass.

Lasha

No, Microsoft says this will aide in their defense, but whether or not it does remains to be seen. Either way, this is old news. We knew from the Apple Epic leaks that Sony's marketing agreements had clauses preventing the games from being on competitor's subscription services. It is irrelevant though as games like Resident Evil Village and Hogwarts Legacy were never going to be on Game Pass during the terms of the marketing agreement in any case. Hell, Resident Evil Village has been out of marketing time period specified for months and it still isn't on Game Pass.

Everything remains to be seen. Why do you think that the documents would not aide in Microsoft's defense?

Elios83

If a company signs an exclusive marketing deal with Sony why the contract should allow the game to be available on Gamepass??
Sony pays and gives the publisher other benefits to let the game be used to push the service of the competition?
The narrative is totally disingenous and pointless, it's third party companies that decide that this kind of contract is in their own interests, Sony isn't stopping anyone against their will which is the narration this wants to create.

Lasha

If a company signs an exclusive marketing deal with Sony why the contract should allow the game to be available on Gamepass??
Sony pays and gives the publisher other benefits to let the game be used to push the service of the competition?
The narrative is totally disingenous and pointless, it's third party companies that decide that this kind of contract is in their own interests, Sony isn't stopping anyone against their will which is the narration this wants to create.

Do you also agree that the deal should go through since Activision shareholders overwhelmingly agreed that selling to Microsoft was in their best interest?

Topher

Gold Member
Everything remains to be seen. Why do you think that the documents would not aide in Microsoft's defense?

I didn't say they wouldn't. It depends on the arguments Microsoft's lawyers make and whether the court buys into them. Just providing documents by itself doesn't "damage credibility" of anything.

Lasha

I didn't say they wouldn't. It depends on the arguments Microsoft's lawyers make and whether the court buys into them. Just providing documents by itself doesn't "damage credibility" of anything.

The reason it would damage Sony's credibility is that it openly opposes the gamepass strategy and Microsoft's general strategy of moving away from console generations. Using ones position as a market leader to stifle the strategies of competitors while not offering a competing product is frowned upon.

It's a completely stupid comparison.
Acquisitions are regulated in the market, marketing deals are not.

The fact that Activision does not currently belong to Microsoft counteracts your statement that aquisitons are regulated "in the market". Contracts are regulated too. Regulators investigate them all the time.

Fabieter

Don't give a fuck about ms owning Activision. I hate that ms is anti competitive in the key store market on pc. Trying to get their games on a cheaper store is almost impossible. That's not the case with any other publisher including playstation pc.

Topher

Gold Member
The reason it would damage Sony's credibility is that it openly opposes the gamepass strategy and Microsoft's general strategy of moving away from console generations. Using ones position as a market leader to stifle the strategies of competitors while not offering a competing product is frowned upon.

lol.....you can believe that damages Sony's credibility all you want. It really doesn't matter.

When will this shit end? Can we go back to shitposting which exclusive game is betterx? I liked those times more because we actually had games releasing instead of corporation wars and shit.

iceatcs

Great for game business I think. Help 3rd party publishers revenue more means more stable game develops.

cos Im very positive they will make more money with Sony payment plus game revenue on all platforms than putting the game on GamePass with MS money with all platforms revenue. I thought of that cos gamepass is eating the 3rd party Xbox revenue massively.

Last edited:

Three

They do offer a competing product. If you look at the Complaints MS are requesting this for, which are from the FTC (not Sony), their defence seem to hinge on the idea that console exclusives from ABK games should be allowed because competitors have exclusivity deals. It has nothing to do with what you're suggesting.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
When will this shit end? Can we go back to shitposting which exclusive game is betterx? I liked those times more because we actually had games releasing instead of corporation wars and shit.
Most exclusive games today are kinda meh so I guess we are stuck in business hell until some more cool games come out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom