• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony is being sued for £5bn

jufonuk

not tag worthy
nintendo right now with the switch tax

sweating key and peele GIF

Relax guys I’m a switch owner so.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Well, never stopped to think about it before, in a way, setting up your own sandbox and setting all the pricing and fees is sort of anti competitive, and if the law says it's not allowed there since 2015, maybe they have a real leg to stand on. If they do same applies of course to ms/apple/Nintendo.

reksveks

That article is a joke. Is not the consumers that get ripped off by the 30% tax, its the publishers that put the games on the store. And all stores charge a 30% tax, except Epic as far as i know.
The argument is that the lawyers are making is that consumers are being ripped off cause the producers are passing on the cost to consumers. Yes, it's BS but that's the argument.

Just for the thread.
Re the rates, for console platforms, 30% is the standard. PC obviously has different %'s. Mobile for one-time purchases is 30%, but subscriptions does change.

A.Romero

Fuck that. The market is obviously willing to pay for it so why lower prices? Isn't that the whole point of competition? I mean, nobody is stopping any other company to start their gaming business and improve pricing (lol).

I particularly disliked when the interviewee tried to paint vidyas as something basic for people. I mean, fuck off.

Godot25

Banned
That article is a joke. Is not the consumers that get ripped off by the 30% tax, its the publishers that put the games on the store. And all stores charge a 30% tax, except Epic as far as i know.
That's because consumers somehow still believe that if you lower price cut for store itself (Steam, PS Store, Xbox Store etc) prices of games will magically go lower. So it is not about "give devs more money" but more about "we want cheaper games"

fermcr

Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft, Apple, Steam, etc... if I'm not mistaken, all of them charge 30% commission. That is way too excessive. All of them deserved to be sued...
Publishers and developers deserve a bigger cut of the profits, since they are taking all the risks and are actually developing the game.

Last edited:

reksveks

Platform splits

Epic is 12% (caps to 18% if you are using UE)
Steam starts 30% and goes down to 20% if you hit 50m revenue (not sure if this is at a publisher or game level)
MS apps and PC games is 12%
PS, Switch and Xbox is 30%
iOS/Android one off purchases - 30%, 27% if you use a third-party payment processor*
iOS/Android subscription - first year 30%, after 12months, it gets dropped to 15%. Think the same 3% reduction applies if you use a third-party payment processor
Itch.io - 10% by default

* might be applicable in certain markets and/or certain categories of apps

Feel free to correct me.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
this makes no sense since console hardware is low margin and the manufacturers must make their profits off software sales.

Why not join Epic and go after Apple as a lower hanging fruit? they have a much bigger portion of the gaming market and their devices net them hundreds of dollars in profit on hardware alone.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
just remember all this started with Epic trying to take more of a cut from apple..........

as I believe all 3 console makers charge 30% as standard

Last edited:

JonSnowball

Anyone can sue anyone for anything. I can sue OP for $30,000,000,000 if I want to, it doesn't mean it'll go anywhere or it has any substance.

By the way, I'm suing NeoGAF as I find it attributable for a reduction of personal income over the last few years. Had NeoGAF not recklessly offered entertainment for me personally I could have potentially been a more productive individual and increased my personal wealth massively. I'm asking for a measly $10B. Think yourselves lucky.

Last edited:

Yoboman

Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft, Apple, Steam, etc... if I'm not mistaken, all of them charge 30% commission. That is way too excessive. All of them deserved to be sued...
Publishers and developers deserve a bigger cut of the profits, since they are taking all the risks and are actually developing the game.
MS, Sony and Nintendo's risk is developing the systems these games can exist on that often run at a hardware cost loss and are made up for in royalties.

If Sony droped the tax to 12% like Epic, nothing would change to the consumers, we would still pay the same price for games and DLC. Its the publishers that would get more money from each sale.
I strongly feel the only reason that 12% exists is so Epic can compete with Steam. Were Steam to no longer exist, or even if Epic ever gains a significant majority of the market share, I'm betting that 12% would change really quickly.

Amazon use to give 20 dollar gift cards with the purchase of every new release game. They haven't done anything like that for years now.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
most retailers have a 30% mark up, doesn't matter if its digital or physical. people are forgetting things like gamesharing which comes into effect to. do we want cheaper games yes of coarse but the commission will always be the same.

end of the day we want the best consoles and that costs for R&D and we want the best games that also costs. do people think if Sony didn't charge 30% commission that games like God of war of Horizon zero dawn would be as good? that money they earn goes into there own studios and makes better games

Sybrix

I think it's idiotic that Playstation and Xbox also charge the top prices for digital games, it makes me question why anyone would get a digital only PS5 over a disk drive one, your completely trapped in purchasing games from the PS Store at these huge prices.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I think it's idiotic that Playstation and Xbox also charge the top prices for digital games, it makes me question why anyone would get a digital only PS5 over a disk drive one, your completely trapped in purchasing games from the PS Store at these huge prices.
I have a digital PS5. My brother has a digital PS5. Horizon FW day one cost me £30. Elden Ring day one cost me £25.

hlm666

Valve takes less the more successful your game is so it's not quite true that only epic takes less than 30%, also Epic don't let people use payment options with high transaction costs that valve do.

Robb

Gold Member
since they are taking all the risks and are actually developing the game.
Surely developing actual hardware and an entire platform must be infinitely more risky than making a single game for said platforms?

Every single developer are free to create their own platform if they want to and think it’s feasible, yet we are stuck with MS, Sony and Nintendo.

Top Bottom