• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony has $10 billion left to spend on acquisitions through 2023

Just buy half a dozen of the top tier indie studios and spend the next 5-10 years scaling them up in size ala housemarque. It's not sexy, but it's a solid low risk, high reward strategy.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Bloodborne only sold for 2-millions unit, so it's what you call bantom weights, but then why Sony fanboys begging for Bloodborne 2??? (BY Blue Point no less....hahahaha talk about fake Bloodborne)

Because those Sony fanboys have some Denethor in them...

denethor-eating.gif

main-qimg-7a42e9b900516fae19971072aea70328

4195ecc6d5ea4c1d2a2f82595db540e4e3f3de44_hq.gif

Yoboman

I still think Sony is better off making targeted acquisitions rather than big publishers (Japanese or otherwise)

Think: Team Kojima (pretty obvious)

FromSoft may be small enough but they also have a lot of baggage with their parent company

CDPR but the valuation is a bad deal and the owners won’t likely sell

Parts of Warner like Rocksteady? (GaaS)

I just can’t see Square, Capcom, Ubisoft, etc being worth acquiring unless they are at risk of being acquired
Would anybody want WB? I doubt their DC and Harry Potter IP comes with them

Furball

Why all those comment keep asking for capcom and Square ? Those company will lose more than gain . Dont see why they want to sell .

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
😂😂😂

Sony fanboys begging for Capcom……Jimbo sold Sony Japan Studio, why would he go back to buying a Japanese company?? Jimbo doesn’t like Japan and that is obvious

If there’s anyone buying Capcom it’s Nintendo

EDIT: sorry, I didn't mean to say 'sold', I meant shut-down
lol Nintendo is not going to acquire Capcom. Nintnedo prefer devs with Nintendo DNA. Capcom is far from that.

Last edited:
Why all those comment keep asking for capcom and Square ? Those company will lose more than gain . Dont see why they want to sell .

I like Square more than I do Capcom because I feel that they have more untapped IP potential, and more room for improvement with Sony helping steer the ship.

Capcom seems like they are pretty well managed on their own. Not that Square isn't, but I think Square has more room to improve.

Furball

I like Square more than I do Capcom because I feel that they have more untapped IP potential, and more room for improvement with Sony helping steer the ship.

Capcom seems like they are pretty well managed on their own. Not that Square isn't, but I think Square has more room to improve.
How ? Sony cant even steer their own JRPG IP like Wild arm Legend of dragoon . You think they can steer other Square JRPG ? They will just left all those IP to dead . Also do you know that Square fully own Dragon quest ? They will lose that also because Yuji Horri like Nintendo more . Not to mention all SE lesser IP sell far more on Nintendo system than Sony

Capcom also make alot of money on Switch also with MH, cheaper develop cost . Dont see how they want to abandon the ability to retreat to other plaform if sony fail to sell ps5

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
I think people see capcom and square under sony like fox with xmen was to Disney with marvel.
some people have speculated that i guess, they have been working closely for quite some time.

Furthermore, Capcom is way cheaper compared to other publisher.

I mean if I were Sony and I have limited cash, theres not alot of choice out there. Capcom has alot of good IP as well.

RevGaming

How ? Sony cant even steer their own JRPG IP like Wild arm Legend of dragoon . You think they can steer other Square JRPG ? They will just left all those IP to dead . Also do you know that Square fully own Dragon quest ? They will lose that also because Yuji Horri like Nintendo more
Square and Capcom can remain independent and still release games for other platforns. Idc. I just don't find sony being a sitting duck doing any good in the long term while it loses key members.

Last edited:

DavJay

That’s for Sony in its entirely and not just SIE. PlayStation would be lucky to have half of that.

RevGaming

some people have speculated that i guess, they have been working closely for quite some time.

Furthermore, Capcom is way cheaper compared to other publisher.

I mean if I were Sony and I have limited cash, theres not alot of choice out there. Capcom has alot of good IP as well.
They'll go broke buying them, but it will make them future proof imo.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.

I want them to get Capcom because I want to see a Dino Crysis reboot exclusive to PS5 or PS6 :) but Square would also be amazing

TidusYuna

How ? Sony cant even steer their own JRPG IP like Wild arm Legend of dragoon . You think they can steer other Square JRPG ? They will just left all those IP to dead . Also do you know that Square fully own Dragon quest ? They will lose that also because Yuji Horri like Nintendo more

Hypothetically, if Sony bought Square-Enix, that doesn't mean Dragon Quest games or Square-Enix games in general would stop coming to Nintendo. Dragon Quest is very popular in Japan, Sony wouldn't cut off that market and piss off Japan. Jim Ryan is into making money so he would more likely continue to support switch with Square Enix games as they sell well there and the switch is very successful. Nintendo switch owners really have nothing to worry about because of the success of the switch.

RevGaming

Guys, if something is available than chances are MS will get it. The only reason Sony got Bungie is because MS wasn’t interested in them. 😂
They don't want to screw up getting activision. They'll lay low until then. Activision is very very good for them. They'll get pc gamepass numbers, get into the mobile space and advertise gamepass on candy crush and basically leaving sony with almost no shooters. That's too much to lose. Plus that will look like an attack to sony and not the giant techs they're "afraid" of.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Guys, if something is available than chances are MS will get it. The only reason Sony got Bungie is because MS wasn’t interested in them. 😂
It's going to be harder for MS to acquire major Japanese publishers.

It will also be difficult for MS to acquire a major publisher while they're closing a deal with A\B.

The fact is, people don't know what's going to happen. It's already been stated that Sony will exceed their initial limited if possible.

Vognerful

It's going to be harder for MS to acquire major Japanese publishers.

It will also be difficult for MS to acquire a major publisher while they're closing a deal with A\B.

The fact is, people don't know what's going to happen. It's already been stated that Sony will exceed their initial limited if possible.
I keep hearing this, but no one explains why.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Capcom, SquareEnix, etc. They'll both end up with Sony; it's just a matter of time.

What's more interesting is that Bungie wasn't a response for Activision or Bethesda. Jim Ryan confirmed that Sony and Bungie first had this acquisition conversation before the lockdown (before MS even bought Bethesda).

So Sony's actual response for MS's Bethesda and Activision buyouts have yet to come.

Japanese Publishers are a mistake. Sony already has them in their pocket without having to pay anything.

Foreign investors can't buy them because of laws and Nintendo will never buy them anyway. They already lean heavily towards Sony.

Sony should drop it all on something that will make a difference like Take Two.
So you saying a Japan company can buy a American company and its ok in but if a American company tries to buy an Japan company they have laws to prevent that from happening crazy if true

Tutomos

I think with Sony willing to let Bungie stay independent and remain multi-platform, and the money they're paying will open a lot of pubs/devs' eyes.

I would not want for Sony to acquire either Square or Capcom, but the truth is, they might have to make a move if MS were to be interested in adding a japanese publisher. But then again, there is no way of knowing if the "targets" would be interested in selling in the first place! The other issue is that Sony focusing on its homeland will possibly deprive it of a western publisher, since they would not have enough funds to even try at that point. Talk about a conundrum!
Honestly, I would rather they had acquired small to mid-size developers gradually (Haven Studio, Deviation Games, Arrowhead, Remedy, From Software, Arc Systems Works, Wu Shu Studios, Ember Labs ...), and extended their second party network to bolster their IPs catalogue (there are two-three newly established RPG studios created by veterans, which could show some promise)...But that is just me. Regardless, it will be fascinating to observe what will happen in the next couple of years...

Last edited:

Furball

Hypothetically, if Sony bought Square-Enix, that doesn't mean Dragon Quest games or Square-Enix games in general would stop coming to Nintendo. Dragon Quest is very popular in Japan, Sony wouldn't cut off that market and piss off Japan. Jim Ryan is into making money so he would more likely continue to support switch with Square Enix games as they sell well there and the switch is very successful. Nintendo switch owners really have nothing to worry about because of the success of the switch.

Are u sure because I am sure Square smaller Ip will be dead under Sony like Wild Arm and Legend of dragoon . Also like i said Square enix dont own dragon quest , Yuji Horii own the series unlike FF , if SE got bought by sony , the dude wont likely work with SE anymore and SE lose one of their iconic IP . They has nothing to gain and lose their freedom .

Capcom is very much fit with Nintendo DNA

if Capcom under Nintendo , megaman maybe revive in exchange for RE dead

Last edited:

Tams

They'd be better off starting up more studios, hiring/poaching some veteran developers (mainly ones good at organisation and leadership), and then marketing the shit out of the results.

It'd be better for gaming as a whole too. These acquisitions are not doing the industry good.

Nintendo aren't sweating at the moment largely because they have a good depth of first and second party games (mock them as rehashing franchises all you want; it makes money and many fans want it).

Top Bottom