• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony has $10 billion left to spend on acquisitions through 2023

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
Sony currently has about $10 billion left to spend on future acquisitions, buyouts, and share buybacks.

84367_121_sony-has-10-billion-left-to-spend-on-acquisitions-through-2023_full.png

Back in May 2021, Sony outlined its spending budget for its fourth mid-year plan which stretches from FY21 - FY23 (March 2024). The company's board of directors authorized a 2 trillion yen budget (roughly $17.4 billion) for strategic investments, acquisitions and buyouts, and share repurchases.

Sony has now revealed it has spent 850 billion yen (roughly $7.4 billion) of its allocated budget, leaving about $10 billion left for further purchases. Sony's current bill includes the substantial $3.6 billion buyout of Bungie, as well as billions in share buybacks.

84367_55_sony-has-10-billion-left-to-spend-on-acquisitions-through-2023_full.jpg

What's interesting is that the $7.4 billion investment total also includes deals that haven't been made public yet. Sony Interactive Entertainment President Jim Ryan said more acquisitions are coming: "We should absolutely expect more. We have many more moves to make."

84367_54_sony-has-10-billion-left-to-spend-on-acquisitions-through-2023_full.jpg

"The amount of capital allocated to strategic investments, including the acquisition of Bungie...and repurchases of Sony stock, from the beginning of this fiscal year until today, and including acquisitions and asset purchases that have closed as well as those that have been decided but not closed, totals approximately 850 billion yen."

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/8436...spend-on-acquisitions-through-2023/index.html

Mr Hyde

I agree. That game was phenomenal. The direction, the artstyle, exploration, combat. Everything was just top notch. I think it's my personal GOTY so far, but the year has just begun. I was thinking that...

What? Hold on. We're not talking games on GAF anymore? Acquisitions? What the fuck! I thought this site was for discussing games! Well, excuse me Princess. Allow me to take my leave then. Have fun console warriors. I hope the next purchase furthers strengthens your favorite box.

Putting Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Last edited:

MScarpa

This is getting ridiculous. I play games, on whatever console I feel like that day. I remember when you had to have a legit paid email account, we didn't have this type of craziness.

Don't you guys just want to have fun? Why is it ALWAYS two sides fighting? The amount of time some of you spend trying to defend your beautiful plastic box, you could have worked and had enough to purchase the other console. It's insanity.

Elios83

Just a note, this is just the budget that was allocated in last year's mid term business plan for acquisitions covering 2021-2022-2023.
Budgets are reviewed and updated at the beginning of each fiscal year.
So next May we'll see how and if the business plan is updated/changed. It's not binding and it's obviously not all the money they have.

You can word this better. Lay off the charged console war terms.
Capcom, and call it a day.

Didn’t the ex capcom CEO join sony last fall? Weren”t sony the only executives present in the R8 promo video?

in that case capcom

Capcom or Square please

😂😂😂

Sony fanboys begging for Capcom……Jimbo sold Sony Japan Studio, why would he go back to buying a Japanese company?? Jimbo doesn’t like Japan and that is obvious

If there’s anyone buying Capcom it’s Nintendo

EDIT: sorry, I didn't mean to say 'sold', I meant shut-down

Last edited:

fatmarco

I mean they've basically bought Square Enix for all intents and purposes by buying exclusivity on every game they make, so why not just go the whole hog and buy the whole studio?

I mean for Xbox fans it'd make no difference, they're never letting them have a Final Fantasy game again either way.

Last edited:

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Japanese Publishers are a mistake. Sony already has them in their pocket without having to pay anything.

Foreign investors can't buy them because of laws and Nintendo will never buy them anyway. They already lean heavily towards Sony.

Sony should drop it all on something that will make a difference like Take Two.

Last edited:
Jimbo eyballin' SE and Capcom:
rubbing hands GIF

I am thinking SE would make the most sense, FF14 is wildly popular (They seem to be pushing hard into live services gaming, Sony that is), plus SE has its fingers in a lot of pies at the moment, would be a good fit.

Edit* FF7R is basically exclusive, as well as FF16, so maybe it's all but a done deal?

Last edited:
Capcom, makes perfect sense since Sony already bought Evo and many of Capcom's series would work well as films, TV shows, and anime.
Plus, Capcom has many memorable characters that can go into Sony's copycat kart racers and Smash Bros.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Japanese Publishers are a mistake. Sony already has them in their pocket without having to pay anything.

Foreign investors can't buy them because of laws and Nintendo will never buy them anyway. They already lean heavily towards Sony.

Sony should drop it all on something that will make a difference like Take Two.
For one we've seen that having way more sales on PS doesn't mean they can't be bought. For two those games are a huge pillar for their platform and MS can certainly buy them and take them away as they aren't part of the sectors protected under that law. For three why not make all their games exclusive forever and make way more profit on each sale as well as not have to pay for timed exclusivity anymore?

This is getting ridiculous. I play games, on whatever console I feel like that day. I remember when you had to have a legit paid email account, we didn't have this type of craziness.

Don't you guys just want to have fun? Why is it ALWAYS two sides fighting? The amount of time some of you spend trying to defend your beautiful plastic box, you could have worked and had enough to purchase the other console. It's insanity.
No, No, No. It's about what I can have and what I can take away from the ENEMY! I need it all, mine, mine, mine. Please give it to me Papa Phil/Papa Ryan... I want them to go away so we can be the winners... :messenger_hushed:

It's console wars... it's kind of insane. It's definitely an "Us vs Them" "Good vs Bad" mentality, nearly on the level of Democrats vs Republicans. The crazy thing is it seems like a fanboy on console A spends more time thinking about console B, the one he/she hates. They spend more time looking up news on Twitter/YouTube/Instagram so they can be in the comments... it's pretty insane. I never knew about it until I joined forums, forums can house some of the most unstable ppl LOL I used to checkout MMA forums, Car forums, Sports etc. It got pretty wild.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Experts say future consoles are in development and those deals for a capcom could take years, Sony is trying to prevent Microsoft from winning the generation.

Lunarorbit

Just keep making whatever acquisitions multi plat. Like everyone is speculating maybe Capcom or square but I actually think maybe they keep incorporating smaller teams into their culture to help develop them internally.

Digging the blueprint and nixxes deals. Just turn the screws on MS about their decision to make Bethesda exclusive. Cultivating good pr is always a solid move

ethomaz

Banned
If I'm reading it correctly, that $10b for acquisitions is for ALL Sony divisions, not just SIE. I don't think SIE can just spend very dime of it.
You are correct about being for Sony as a whole but seems like SIE is most part of that money (like 90%).

Games was what saved Sony after all.

Last edited:

Ev1L AuRoN

I hate that the market is consolidating but, if it is inevitable, I would love to be a Japanese Publisher like CAPCOM, KONAMI, SQUARE or SEGA.

They might be interested in Ubisoft... Rockstar is a possibility? Probably not, they worth a lot more than 7KK right?

Using Sony Japan as some kind of proof that Sony wouldn't buy Capcom is pretty odd. Capcom is a different beast

it's not just about the Japan Studio issue, Sony is known to alienating Japanese fanbase and developers.

".....Sony has not only not made the appropriate efforts to cultivate the Japanese market, but has, in fact, done everything in its power to alienate and diminish it. From closing its local in-house Japanese development studio to imposing arbitrary content and administrative restrictions on Japanese games and game creators, to simply arrogantly throwing their weight around, with things as trivial as their reversal of the X and O button functions in the PlayStation UI and the lack of support extended to local developers, Sony has been burning bridges with a lot of Japanese developers and publishers for a while now....."

Last edited:

Loxus

😂😂😂

Sony fanboys begging for Capcom……Jimbo sold Sony Japan Studio, why would he go back to buying a Japanese company?? Jimbo doesn’t like Japan and that is obvious

Pretty much sure Japan Studio was merged, not sold.
Japan Studio
In April 2021, Japan Studio was reorganized and merged with Team Asobi and other SIE studios.

Sony currently has about $10 billion left to spend on future acquisitions, buyouts, and share buybacks.

84367_121_sony-has-10-billion-left-to-spend-on-acquisitions-through-2023_full.png

Back in May 2021, Sony outlined its spending budget for its fourth mid-year plan which stretches from FY21 - FY23 (March 2024). The company's board of directors authorized a 2 trillion yen budget (roughly $17.4 billion) for strategic investments, acquisitions and buyouts, and share repurchases.

Sony has now revealed it has spent 850 billion yen (roughly $7.4 billion) of its allocated budget, leaving about $10 billion left for further purchases. Sony's current bill includes the substantial $3.6 billion buyout of Bungie, as well as billions in share buybacks.

84367_55_sony-has-10-billion-left-to-spend-on-acquisitions-through-2023_full.jpg

What's interesting is that the $7.4 billion investment total also includes deals that haven't been made public yet. Sony Interactive Entertainment President Jim Ryan said more acquisitions are coming: "We should absolutely expect more. We have many more moves to make."

84367_54_sony-has-10-billion-left-to-spend-on-acquisitions-through-2023_full.jpg

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/8436...spend-on-acquisitions-through-2023/index.html

Mmm...No. I think people misunderstand the whole thing. That is what Sony envisaged as a 3 years budget since April 2021; It is not a ceiling per se. The group can go beyond that if they think that an investment opportunity that has ample advantages presents itself. That figure was also devised in a pre-Activision acquisition world...

😂😂😂

I dont play any Capcom games. It just the only publisher that makes sense.

They can make Monster Hunter a game as service game, by putting the horrible Resident Evil developers as a support studio.

Then the rest can make Demon Souls or Bloodborne games.

Sony already invests so much in Capcom’s franchises. Own EVO. Pay for Street Fighter.

Most importantly Capcom doesnt have a bunch of junk like Konami and Sega do. Those companies are in so many businesses that have nothing to do with gaming.

Top Bottom