• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Corporate Meeting: All Information Revealed

Varteras

Gold Member
But but but Twitter told me there were 30 million PS5s sitting in warehouses and that the true sales numbers were the same as the Xbox! You’re telling me colteastwood LIED?!
No. He didn't lie. Lying is an intent. Colt isn't smart enough for that. He's a human parrot. His trainers told him what to squawk.

GermanZepp

M7JlOhH.jpeg
iZwPmt8.jpeg

MarkMe2525

Has nothing to do with how smart I am but thanks for noticing 😂

It has everything to do with people trolling the threads & comments I made only for them to end up correct.
Seems like more of an exercise in confirmation bias, conveniently leaving out the misses and not even always "correct". You throw enough shit at a wall and some are bound to be close.

Last edited:

CamHostage

PlayStation 9
Heh, I think you mean PlayStation 8.

PS9 will be of course be liquid synesthesia reality augmentation technology, delivered via chemical nanomachines in a snowglobe-shaped console.

(*Darn Sony, always with its odd-shaped platforms which don't fit great on your shelf...)

Last edited:

onQ123

Seems like more of an exercise in confirmation bias, conveniently leaving out the misses and not even always "correct". You throw enough shit at a wall and some are bound to be close.
If I was 100% accurate I wouldn't be on Neogaf I would be buying stocks & playing the lottery.

Unfortunately, they just closed down Sony's London Studio, the developer group which invented Home and a lot of other 'casual' PS experiences.

It was common for Hardcore gamers to crap on Home and other "not-a-game" stuff at the time, but I feel like the absence is tangible now. We're getting fewer of the interesting projects and features which sometimes opened new doors and added personality to a console fanbase.

Didn't know London Studio created PS Home.

Damn, now I feel a bit bad for saying their closure wasn't too significant. I mean Home was no Getaway but it was unique and something Sony should've been brought back for PS5. If they're talking up having more immersive experiences I hope they actually back it up in ways beyond more Hollywood-like cinematic mature story-driven games.

Like, I have appreciation for those and like them, but SIE had arguably their best 1P balance in the mid-to-late PS3 era and the balance has just gone haywire since. They've been leaning into a lot of 3P to try making it up, but that's always a double-edged sword for various reasons.

MrRenegade

Report me if I continue to troll
Shhhhiiaaa

Create Infinite Realities. Seamlessly connecting a multilayered world where Physical and Virtual realities overlap to deliver infinite KANDO.

KANDO = the sense of awe and the emotion you feel when experiencing something beautiful and amazing for the first time

Very nice future, indeed.

I fancy a Sony credit card though.

Last edited:

CamHostage

Didn't know London Studio created PS Home... I mean Home was no Getaway but it was unique and something Sony should've been brought back for PS5. If they're talking up having more immersive experiences I hope they actually back it up in ways beyond more Hollywood-like cinematic mature story-driven games.

Actually, PS Home was a Getaway.

Sony London Studios initially developed it as a multiplayer mode around the time of Getaway 2. ( Black Monday toyed with having a guild-style pub where you'd meet players and join up for MP missions... oddly enough, they would have preceeded GTA Online in the PS2 era.) Phil Harrison supposedly took a shine to the MP project and it was reconcieved as a global gaming hub network for multiple PS game experiences (and eventually its own contained ecosystem; I'm not sure if the game launcher hubs and "battlemap planning sandbox" ideas of PS Home ever even took off?) Curiously, PlayStation Home never got a Picadilly Circus space to reuse that abandoned Getaway PS3 map, and although there was a London Pub space, it was a 3rd party add-on not made by London Studio.

And yeah, hopefully these console manufacturers are not giving up on their odder community-building ideas. (I remember how many friends I collected on PS Vita just linking our alarm clocks with Wake-up Club.) I guess GASSes like Fortnite are eating up the community time investment, and in some ways that's better since it's platform agnostic, but I still think these console makers can do something on the front end to help their boxes reach out to fellow players.

Last edited:
Actually, PS Home was a Getaway.

Sony London Studios initially developed it as a multiplayer mode around the time of Getaway 2. ( Black Monday toyed with having a guild-style pub where you'd meet players and join up for MP missions... oddly enough, they would have preceeded GTA Online in the PS2 era.) Phil Harrison supposedly took a shine to the MP project and it was reconcieved as a global gaming hub network for multiple PS game experiences (and eventually its own contained ecosystem; I'm not sure if the game launcher hubs and "battlemap planning sandbox" ideas of PS Home ever even took off?) Curiously, PlayStation Home never got a Picadilly Circus space to reuse that abandoned Getaway PS3 map, and although there was a London Pub space, it was a 3rd party add-on not made by London Studio.

And yeah, hopefully these console manufacturers are not giving up on their odder community-building ideas. (I remember how many friends I collected on PS Vita just linking our alarm clocks with Wake-up Club.) I guess GASSes like Fortnite are eating up the community time investment, and in some ways that's better since it's platform agnostic, but I still think these console makers can do something on the front end to help their boxes reach out to fellow players.

Hey that's pretty interesting history there. I appreciate the brief run-down and I'll have to give the Eurogamer article a read over the weekend!

Games like Fortnite are just going to be eating up more and more of that lunch as they are trying to become platforms unto themselves, and I'm actually curious how SIE, Microsoft, and even Nintendo deal with that going forward. There are some interesting possibilities, but my particular interest is more in what ways platform holders will try cementing control within their space while stuff like Fortnite continues to persist.

You mean externally-developed games? That's what they have always done.
I want to see this PS3 variety that was coming only from their internal studios.

Well yeah, SIE have always leaned into working with 3P on games as exclusives to their platform. But PS3 era saw a lot of their own internal studios providing plenty of variety in exclusives as well. I'll list some games and if they were done by a 3P studio as some 2P deal, feel free to correct me:

-Killzone 2​
-Genji​
-Calling All Cars​
-Fat Princess​
-Tourist Trophy (PS2 release but during early PS3 years)​
-Folklore​
-Uncharted​
-LocoRoco​
-Little Big Planet​
-Little Big Planet 2​
-SOCOM​
-Resistance​
-EchcoChrome​
-Infamous​
-Uncharted 2​

..I admit that maybe I underestimated how many 3P devs SIE worked with in 2P deals back in the day, but I do feel they had more volume of those type of things going on vs today. Although they do have things like the China Hero Project, India Hero Project, Africa Hero Project etc. I just would've expected more of that type of stuff among known big 3P devs & pubs like Capcom, SEGA/Atlus, Bandai Namco etc.

Though they've just done something with Koei-Tecmo, have multiple things with Kojima Productions, and I guess Shift Up can probably be considered entering that type of rank now too. What I did appreciate about their older arrangements was the variety in scale of games from AAA to various AA alongside genre types. Like I doubt they'd be partnering with a 3P to make something like Boku no Natsuyasumi today, even if there could be space for that as a low-scale or mid-scale AA and probably also find a good audience on mobile alongside console.

nial

Gold Member
Well yeah, SIE have always leaned into working with 3P on games as exclusives to their platform. But PS3 era saw a lot of their own internal studios providing plenty of variety in exclusives as well. I'll list some games and if they were done by a 3P studio as some 2P deal, feel free to correct me:

-Killzone 2-Genji-Calling All Cars-Fat Princess-Tourist Trophy (PS2 release but during early PS3 years)-Folklore-Uncharted-LocoRoco-Little Big Planet-Little Big Planet 2-SOCOM-Resistance-EchcoChrome-Infamous-Uncharted 2
Bolded:
-developed by Game Republic
-developed by Titan Studios
-released 9 months before PS3 launched
-developed by Game Republic
-developed by Media Molecule before they were acquired
-developed by Insomniac Games before they were acquired
-developed by Sucker Punch Productions before they were acquired
And did you really include LocoRoco Cocoreccho, an interactive screensaver?
I don't really find that lineup to be this crazy variety that is never coming back, either. Pretty much akin to having Astro's Playroom, Rise of the Ronin, Helldivers 2, Spider-Man 2, Gran Turismo 7 and Returnal these days.

Last edited:
thicc_girls_are_teh_best thicc_girls_are_teh_best this is why I told you the quality of your posts have gone downhill.

Somehow you've started jumping into narratives without having the facts.

You ask how SIE is going to compete with Fortnite in the future while simultaneously bemoaning their investment in GaaS and PC, which is entirely the answer for how they'll compete.

You make outrageous claims steeped in revisionist history (and that's being kind) about how sony worked with 2nd and 3rd party developers in the past and how they're doing so now.

You fail to recognize how the industry change and how companies failing to adapt to these changes get relegated to the dust bins of history.

Top Bottom