• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces GDC presence, teases new technology/online service announcements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geek

Ninny Prancer
Do you guys seriously, SERIOUSLY think that they're going to remake Final Fantasy VII for the PS3?

Yoboman

The way Sam talks it's clear it hasn't met the trailer. In fact he even said "your dreams will be crushed", tomorrow is going to be fun! :D

Geek

Ninny Prancer
Yoboman said:
The way Sam talks it's clear it hasn't met the trailer. In fact he even said "your dreams will be crushed", tomorrow is going to be fun! :D

You're so right. E3 is going to be fun!

u_neek

Yoboman said:
Well, if it's CG sgain I don't even care about it.

ThirdEye

Yoboman said:
If it surpasses Gears of War it's OK. If not, a lot of problems incoming.

CamHostage

SamBishop said:
The whole idea of non-disclosure is sort of that you don't disclose anything.

How many times does it have to be said: The first rule of Fight Club is you DO NOT talk about Fight Club.

distrbnce

Banned
Does anyone recall mention by Ken and others of "Cell Storage"

Like I just remembered that earlier, and it's something I remember hearing a lot about before the launch; probably before even the 05E3. The gist being that Sony would offer storage space for all our online stuff, and that you could put stuff in it to be distributively processed.

Speaking of... wth happened to Folding@home?

Anyway, here's the result of a quick google on Cell Storage. It's an interview from '05

“Users will be able to store their content in an online storage server called the ‘Cell Storage.’ And the Cell processor, when it’s not being used, can refine the content’s quality. We call it the ‘aging’ process. For example, users can ‘age’ their Standard Definition (SD) video and up-convert it to High Definition (HD) video. We have many plans, but this ‘Cell Storage’ service is something that we definitely intend to launch. By using the Cell’s security feature, users will be able to rip DVDs that include copyright protection and lay it in the storage area to refine its video quality.”
link

Just wondering if this will come up tomorrow or if it's just another forgotten pipe dream.

Wollan

He probably meant FEAR type of action in that there's a lot of physiqs and smoke..etc. He also said it looked awesome (but down to earth). :)

Azrael

Wollan said:
He probably meant FEAR type of action in that there's a lot of physiqs and smoke..etc. He also said it looked awesome (but down to earth). :)

No, that was SamBishop. It seems Geek wasn't impressed at all =/.

Sin

That's what I'm talking about, we're talking about graphics here, I doubt Geek was pointing at physics and effects... :(

SamBishop

Banned
Azrael said:
No, that was SamBishop. It seems Geek wasn't impressed at all =/.

Well, to be fair, I think Geek and I see pretty eye to eye on things. I'm just a huge nerd and I spaz out about the odd really atmospheric shot. But, uh gameplay? I think we're pretty agreed there. BUT OH GOD, WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?!?!

My battery is critical, so I'm just leaving that is a fun little teaser, y'see.

Bad_Boy said:
Playstation home doesn't have much to do with the 1.6 firmware me thinks.

You thinks quite right, good sir. The two, they be separate beasts, though they do share features, obviously... comma.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
distrbnce said:

That should be coming this month, but it doesn't have an official date yet. They said they would release it when PS3 was out in all 3 major territories.

Ceb

Comparisons with FEAR are certainly not inspiring. :lol If the game still needs a buttload of polish, how the hell are they gonna be able to get it out in 2007?

Wollan

So in the end Luke was partly right about Killzone. They showed it off.. but to press only, behind scenes and not playable. I'm looking forward to detailed info tomorrow.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Wollan said:
So in the end Luke was partly right about Killzone. They showed it off.. but to press only, behind scenes and not playable. I'm looking forward to detailed info tomorrow.

Well, Luke said we'd be playing it before the Halo3 beta, right? :p Which doesn't sound so correct now..

I'm surprised they showed it at all at GDC, although I guess technically this was just an appeasement to the press external to GDC. Tellingly, they're not showing it at the keynote since it's not as relevant to that audience as the other stuff they will be showing (and they probably don't want Killzone overshadowing their announcements, in a good or bad way).

distrbnce said:
Does anyone recall mention by Ken and others of "Cell Storage"

Like I just remembered that earlier, and it's something I remember hearing a lot about before the launch; probably before even the 05E3. The gist being that Sony would offer storage space for all our online stuff, and that you could put stuff in it to be distributively processed.

Anyway, here's the result of a quick google on Cell Storage. It's an interview from '05

link

Just wondering if this will come up tomorrow or if it's just another forgotten pipe dream.

I wondered about the same thing a little while back. At this point, I would imagine it might be a stretch for it to ever make it out for consumer use. Sony has all sorts of things cooking up in their labs though, so it might have been something conceived but not deemed good for release.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I don't think I can stay up for another 7 hours. Gonna go to sleep. Tommorrow is going to be crazy, thats for sure. Hopefully I don't oversleep the keynote.

alterego

Ceb said:
Comparisons with FEAR are certainly not inspiring. :lol

I agree. Killzone with FEAR level graphics would be a disaster. They've ridden 2 years hype on a CG trailer (it may have been established later that the "gameplay" quote was referring to Resistance but it was vague and the sitation was not cleared up at the time). The backlash would be deserved.

Anyway there should be more impressions soon...

distrbnce

Banned
Bad_Boy said:
I don't think I can stay up for another 7 hours. Gonna go to sleep. Tommorrow is going to be crazy, thats for sure. Hopefully I don't oversleep the keynote.

Yeah, I'm really tired too... gonna set my alarm for 12:30 CST. That's 10:30 PST right?

And 10:30 is when the NDA's expire according to SamBishop? Is that when the keynote starts also?

And we should collect some links of pages that will be liveblogging, since it's pretty much guaranteed there will be no live video (right?)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
D2M15 said:
This is what should be getting the 90-page threads, not Killzone. Ah well.

Well..maybe when we know more about it. We currently have just one line from marketwatch! I can't wait to hear/see more about it from the keynote.

Geek said:
Do you guys seriously, SERIOUSLY think that they're going to remake Final Fantasy VII for the PS3?

why not? they already have the intro running on White Engine. :D

final-fantasy-ps3-20050519082737024.jpg

Azrael

Sounds similar to XNA, but you'll be able to import any assets created for Home into your homebrew games? That's what I got out of it anyway.

And it sounds like Home will be free, but they're going to microrape users with virtual doodads.

Wollan

Sounded more like a console tool for me where you could build games from a gamepad perspective with easy to set parameters and such. Why it sounded like that I don't know but that's the feeling I have.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I'd be loathed to speculate given that we're so close to seeing what it actually is, but from the MarketWatch report there wasn't really any link implied between LittleBigPlanet and Home (except that which might exist between any game and Home, at least).

Krowley

Wollan said:
Sounded more like a console tool for me where you could build games from a gamepad perspective with easy to set parameters and such. Why it sounded like that I don't know but that's the feeling I have.

i got the same impression. we'll see i guess.

Haunted

**** reading impressions about the Killzone presentation seen by some press folk! I want to see the game
in HD
for myself!! :( :(

llTll

Banned
chubigans said:
GAH I CANT BELIEVE I HAVE TO GO TO WORK TODAY!?!

Looking forward to the madness when I get back! :D

you will be disspointed.

i dont think we will get any leaked screens of the game till like 1 week or so from now [ assuming if there is any like the past GDC ]

Steroyd

llTll said:
you will be disspointed.

i dont think we will get any leaked screens of the game till like 1 week or so from now [ assuming if there is any like the past GDC ]

In all fairness i think he wants to see the GAF reaction more than the news that might or might not come out.

At least i want to see GAF's reaction. :)

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
llTll said:
you will be disspointed.

Oh I'm not excited for the game announcements, as that's not happening...Im excited about the PS Home talk, which very much is. :D

And the GAF meltdown as well of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom