• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces GDC presence, teases new technology/online service announcements

Status
Not open for further replies.

v1cious

Banned
city_07.jpg

tell me this is a sandbox game.

if those aren't bullshots, then this will be the best shit ever.

... of course we still don't know what GTA4 looks like yet so...

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
SamBishop said:
It's going to be MotorStorm x100.
I'm trying to figure out if this is a good thing or a bad thing. Motorstorm didnt look like the cg trailer, but it looked pretty good in the end. And thats all I want from killzone. The same feeling. :x

So, motorstorm bad x100? or motorstorm good x100? :/

Mmmkay

TTP said:
My reaction pretty much. But I wish he clarifies what he means. Sure that sounds like it will be available for download already o_O
I think he's just really excited. Like really really excited. He shared a few hyperbolic words at SA about it. The phrase "HAWT SEX" came up.

[edit] Wait I'm taking about Home not Killzone. COFFEE please may I have another.

llTll

Banned
SamBishop said:
Sorry dudes, not until 10:30 this morning. Just... Don't get your hopes up. It's going to be MotorStorm x100. At least you know all the stuff most people assumed about the leak is pretty much true, right? Yeah? No?

that doesnt make any sense. you are not allowed to post pics /videos till 10 30. which is i understand. but giving your thoughts about it is not allowed till the time is over? this is new to me

also. we all know its not going to be E3 level of graphics. this is nothing new. i dont know what you mean by x100 tho.

do you mean it look 100x better in relation to what Motorstorm look like now compared to the video [ means killzone looks awesome yet not E3 level ]

or 100x " fuzz " more of how bad it look compared to E3?

SamBishop

Banned
TTP said:
My reaction pretty much. But I wish he clarifies what he means. Sure that sounds like it will be available for download already o_O

That's precisely what I mean. Sony's probably going to go all Kotaku on my ass for just saying that much.

jiggle said:
As in it looks bad?

As in everyone had best temper their ****ing expectations. Awesome? Yeah, sure. CG trailer-level?... Well, I'm sure you'll hear about it in like nine hours.

llTll said:
that doesnt make any sense. you are not allowed to post pics /videos till 10 30. which is i understand. but giving your thoughts about it is not allowed till the time is over? this is new to me

also. we all know its not going to be E3 level of graphics. this is nothing new. i dont know what you mean by x100 tho.

do you mean it look 100x better in relation to what Motorstorm look like now compared to the video [ means killzone looks awesome yet not E3 level ]

or 100x " fuzz " more of how bad it look compared to E3?

I mean a shitload of people were jizzing over MotorStorm and the final product is... less than perfect. I'm glad you're not expecting the CG trailer. Sexy looking? Hell yes, CG-level. Nuh uh, that's what I mean.

And even general thoughts are sorta off-limits when it comes to NDAs. The whole idea of non-disclosure is sort of that you don't disclose anything. I think what's out there in terms of Home is pretty much dead-on, but the visuals are the exact reason why Sony didn't want the leak going up because it kills the punch of actually seeing in motion. Which you all will. In a matter of hours.

I'm sorry I'm being coy about this, it's just that I'm psyched about things, but not drunk enough to break NDA. I am probably drunk enough to say something stupid, and I rather like Sony treating me to events like this, so I'm gonna shaddap.

luffeN

SamBishop said:
Sorry dudes, not until 10:30 this morning. Just... Don't get your hopes up. It's going to be MotorStorm x100. At least you know all the stuff most people assumed about the leak is pretty much true, right? Yeah? No?

the leak? you mean the supposedly leaked GDC keynote summary?

mr_nothin

Banned
TTP said:
WTF!!!
are you guys seriously telling the truth?

EDIT:
This better not be a ****ing joke because im stoked now!!

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
banKai said:
the leak? you mean the supposedly leaked GDC keynote summary?
some body confirm this, cause that list was a ps3 owner's wet dream. no way that shit was true. was it?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
SamBishop said:
That's precisely what I mean. Sony's probably going to go all Kotaku on my ass for just saying that much.

:O

Thank you so much for your sacrifice! :D

As in everyone had best temper their ****ing expectations. Awesome? Yeah, sure. CG railer... Well, I'm sure you'll hear about it in like nine hours.

Love you. I didnt expect CG trailer, but good to know is awesome. How would u compare it to stuff like GOW or Resistance?

Wollan

I'm not sure to believe or not. I want to though.

As in everyone had best temper their ****ing expectations. Awesome? Yeah, sure.

That's great. Being the biggest Killzone fan around I'm also seemingly the one of few able to have reasonable expectations. Can't wait.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Well no cg reached is expected, but awesome is good...awesome is good, right?

and ffs somebody confirm that list!

llTll

Banned
SamBishop said:

As in everyone had best temper their ****ing expectations. Awesome? Yeah, sure. CG trailer... Well, I'm sure you'll hear about it in like nine hours.

I mean a shitload of people were jizzing over MotorStorm and the final product is... less than perfect. I'm glad you're not expecting the CG trailer. Sexy looking? Hell yes, CG-level. Nuh uh, that's what I mean.

And even general thoughts are sorta off-limits when it comes to NDAs. The whole idea of non-disclosure is sort of that you don't disclose anything. I think what's out there in terms of Home is pretty much dead-on, but the visuals are the exact reason why Sony didn't want the leak going up because it kills the punch of actually seeing in motion. Which you all will. In a matter of hours.

I'm sorry I'm being coy about this, it's just that I'm psyched about things, but not drunk enough to break NDA. I am probably drunk enough to say something stupid, and I rather like Sony treating me to events like this, so I'm gonna shaddap.

in matter of hours we will see videos? wow
thanks for clearing things up.

SamBishop

Banned
That list is bullshit. Sorry, guys. I meant the stuff that went up on a certain blog that caused all that ruckus. That stuff is pretty damn awesome, and seeing it in motion is exactly why Sony asked that it not go live until this morning.

Sony has bent over backwards to go all full disclosure on almost all of what's going to happen in a couple hours; slides, video, etc. They really are trying to combat the whole silence over the past couple months, and I'm proud of 'em.

[edit]
Again, I want to make this clear: you will not see Killzone in a proper public fashion until E3 unless something changes. I want to make sure I'm not psyching anyone up unnecessarily.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
SamBishop said:
That list is bullshit. Sorry, guys. I meant the stuff that went up on a certain blog that caused all that ruckus. That stuff is pretty damn awesome, and seeing it in motion is exactly why Sony asked that it not go live until this morning.

Sony has bent over backwards to go all full disclosure on almost all of what's going to happen in a couple hours; slides, video, etc. They really are trying to combat the whole silence over the past couple months, and I'm proud of 'em.
Thanks for confirmation man, can't wait.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Well I'm glad they've prepared for a media release on the stuff they're showing.

As for Killzone, I imagine there's a reason it won't be shown publically today (?). I'm thinking Sam means "initial Motorstorm reaction x100" (from last GDC), which Sony might not want overshadowing all the other lovely things they are showing :) I'm glad to hear it's 'sexy', whatever about the CG, although less glad to see Geek's :(.

mr_nothin

Banned
SamBishop said:

[edit]
Again, I want to make this clear: you will not see Killzone in a proper public fashion until E3 unless something changes. I want to make sure I'm not psyching anyone up unnecessarily.
OMFG
aye...ok ok
which blog where?
i need to see
live?where when, huh?
im fainting here:lol :lol :D :) :lol :D :lol :) :lol :D :lol :D

Steroyd

A bit late with that line aren't you?

Geek

Ninny Prancer
jiggle said:
Did they show Final Fantasy 7 >.>;

The holograms were admittedly early, but I swear... the Immersion FF tech they worked into Tifa's breasts. Just stunning.

SamBishop

Banned
gofreak said:
As for Killzone, I imagine there's a reason it won't be shown publically today (?). I'm thinking Sam means "initial Motorstorm reaction x100", which Sony might not want overshadowing all the other lovely things they are showing :) I'm glad to hear it's 'sexy', whatever about the CG.

Nono, I mean people shit themselves with hype over MotorStorm, and while it certainly looked good, the gameplay isn't exactly killer app level to me.

Likewise, I think not showing KZ to the public is probably smart in that it's not really something (trailer-wise) they should show to the public as people will hyper-analyze all that shit and it will just be a huge tidal wave of bitter tears and bannings.

So not showing = no crushed dreams = people not hanging themselves because the in-game stuff isn't on the level of that gorgeous CG two years ago. Cause, uh, it's not right now. And again, I'm sure impressions will go up in a couple of hours of what folks thought of the trailer which will no doubt be a 90 bazillion post thread around here.

SamBishop said:
As in everyone had best temper their ****ing expectations. Awesome? Yeah, sure. CG trailer-level?... Well, I'm sure you'll hear about it in like nine hours.

I don't care if it doesn't look as good as the CG but I'm glad you think it looks awesome.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Geek said:
The holograms were admittedly early, but I swear... the Immersion FF tech they worked into Tifa's breasts. Just stunning.

BTW, they didn't touch upon the rumble thing right? No one asked?

Wollan

Is it possible for you to compare the visual fidelity of Killzone to some PS3 games we have seen? Did the action look good?

DieH@rd

Banned
SamBishop said:
Nono, I mean people shit themselves with hype over MotorStorm, and while it certainly looked good, the gameplay isn't exactly killer app level to me.

I disagree. Gameplay in Motorstoreme is awesome, IMO. But the game is definetley lacking some other stuff [game modes, car customization]

artist

Banned
Whats happening in here guys? :)

KillZone trailer Sony was scheduled to release but went against it because its not upto par with the CG trailer?

Geek

Ninny Prancer
Wollan said:
Is it possible for you to compare the visual fidelity of Killzone to some PS3 games we have seen? Did the action look good?

This reminds me. I have a question. Is F.E.A.R. for PS3 out yet?

mr_nothin

Banned
SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- Sony Corp. lifted the wraps Wednesday on an online, social-based network designed to spur interest in its high-end PlayStation3 console, which has suffered from product shortages and a high price tag.

At the Game Developers Conference in San Francisco on Wednesday, Phil Harrison delivered a keynote address in which he laid out new components of the PlayStation3 network designed to bring in a social gaming aspect similar to multi-player games such as "Second Life" that have become highly popular on the Internet.

Harrison, who is president of worldwide studios for Sony's Computer Entertainment division, described a new evolution in gaming that he called "Game 3.0," which will involve not just content developed by game makers, but also user-generated content.

"This all adds up to an emergent development where we don't define the experience as game developers, but rather we enable users to define the experience," Harrison said.

The main component of the company's new push is a service called Home. Accessed through the PlayStation3 console, Home allows users to build identities known in the online world as avatars. Users can move through the 3D online Home world to interact with other users. As in "Second Life," users can also purchase items such as apartments, clothing and decorations.
One feature of home will tie into other PS3 games. Players will be able to collect trophies and other objects from their various console games and add them to the Home world.

For Sony, the move comes as the electronics giant is looking to reestablish momentum for the PlayStation3. The console launched in November featuring cutting-edge graphics processors and a Blu-ray DVD player, but its $600 price tag and production setbacks limited sales over the holiday season. See previous story on video game sales.

In an interview, Harrison said the company sees the PS3 as a long-term bet on the future of the digital home, as the device not only plays games but allows users to download and share music and video files.

"I think people who are buying the PS3 are very happy with the value their system represents," Harrison said. "Someone who's buying the PS3 knows they are going to have a long-term relationship with the device."

In a demonstration to media outlets on Tuesday night, Harrison also unveiled a new title, "LittleBigPlanet," which allows users to create their own games using materials found in the virtual world.

Also, Sony unveiled the "PlayStation Edge," a set of tools the company will make available to game developers for free to spur more titles that can make fuller use of the PS3's capabilities, Harrison said.

old?

Moving to enhance its PlayStation 3 game console, Sony today plans to announce new online capabilities for it, meant to draw gamers into Sony’s cyberspace community and allow them to share entertainment content they have created, à la YouTube.

The centerpiece, a new service called PlayStation Home, is to become available to consumers in the fall, said senior game industry executives, who requested anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the plans. PlayStation Home is meant to build on and surpass somewhat similar offerings from Sony’s competitors Microsoft and Nintendo by allowing users to create persisting online identities that record players’ achievements in different games. As players progress through a game, they will unlock various virtual prizes that they can then show off to friends and rivals, the executives said.

Phil Harrison, president of Sony’s worldwide game studios, is expected to announce the new service today in San Francisco at the Game Developers Conference, the top convention for game designers and programmers. Shigeru Miyamoto, a top Nintendo executive and perhaps the world’s most famous game developer, is also scheduled to speak tomorrow but is not expected to make any major announcements. For its part, Microsoft earlier this week announced a contest that will award $10,000 to the best new game for its online Xbox Live service.

At the moment, though, the attention of gamers and the game industry is squarely on Sony as it tries to generate new momentum and buzz around the PlayStation 3 after a lackluster response when it was introduced in November.

In addition to squawking about the PlayStation 3’s price — $599 for the top version — critics and players have two major substantive complaints. Sony clearly hopes that developments this week will go a long way toward defusing each of them.

First, users have said that there have not been many great games designed exclusively for the PlayStation 3. Most of the big-name games for it have also been released for Microsoft’s Xbox 360 (less expensive than the PlayStation 3) and, with the notable exception of the alternate-history shooter Resistance: Fall of Man, the few exclusive titles for PlayStation 3 have largely failed to impress.

Mr. Harrison said the new MotorStorm, the high-octane off-road racing game that Sony has been championing for months, may answer those complaints. The glossy demonstration version of this game has already garnered raves online, and the full retail version hit store shelves yesterday.

“I really think MotorStorm could be the killer app for the PlayStation 3,” Mr. Harrison said in a telephone interview on Monday. “MotorStorm is the first title we’ve shipped that really hits the high notes of what the PlayStation 3 is capable of. That means really advanced physics and artificial intelligence, the graphical quality and the online gameplay free of charge.”

These days just having great games does not necessarily make a great game system (though it is obviously the most important factor). The second, and broader, complaint leveled at the PlayStation 3 is that while it is clearly a powerful machine, its basic operating software and the PlayStation Network online service have been clunky at best, especially compared with Microsoft’s slick, easy-to-use Xbox Live service.

This criticism perhaps reflects Sony’s most intractable problem over the last decade: its difficulty building strong businesses online, whether in digital music, in which it essentially ceded the category to Apple, or in console gaming, in which Microsoft has come on strong.

It is a deficiency that Sony seems well aware of and that today’s announcements are meant to address. Kotaku (kotaku.com), a popular gaming blog, reported preliminary details about PlayStation Home last week. Mr. Harrison would not discuss specifics of today’s planned announcements but he laid out a clear road map of how Sony intends to improve and augment its online service.

“Last year was a year of hardware,” he said. “It was all about the hardware launch, specifications, hardware technology. This is the year of software, about developing new services and, crucially, the migration from pure packaged goods, which has been the traditional delivery mechanism in our industry over the last 25 years, to something that blends the network and online services into the game experience.”

By way of example, Mr. Harrison mentioned the PlayStation 3 version of the karaoke game SingStar, expected to be released in May, first in Europe. “By taking SingStar to the network, we can allow users to choose which songs they want to sing and download them from the service,” he said. “The even more interesting thing from my point of view is that the users’ performances can then be shared with one another over the network, and users can score and rank each other.”

Sony’s overall plan, Mr. Harrision said, is to allow users to create their own content within games so that the entertainment experience begins to feel more organic, rather than planned.

“The packaged media approach on its own offers a closed experience,” he said. “You can only enjoy the game experience that the game developer put on that disc. But with the increase in adoption for the Internet and also the increased bandwidth, the Internet has democratized the audience to become content creators, as well as content consumers, and create what I call emergent entertainment. We’ve seen that with things like MySpace and YouTube and Flickr. Now we want to take those kinds of collaborative experiences and make them more central to the gameplay experience.”
older?

DieH@rd

Banned
Wollan said:

As the man said. Wait for few hours, there will be gazillion impressions from other people that saw the demo...

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
irfan said:
Whats happening in here guys? :)

KillZone trailer Sony was scheduled to release but went against it because its not upto par with the CG trailer?

And then you wonder why people are asked to sign NDA

SamBishop

Banned
Wollan said:

Naw, it was a friggin' trailer, not real-time or anything and it's nowhere near done, plus, that would probably be pushing things a little. Okay, I have to hit the sack guys, and get up in about four hours. I can wait to see what your reactions to things are. GAF is nothing if not... excitable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom