• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony accidentally revealed that CoD represented $800 million in PlayStation revenue in the United States alone (in 2021)

Sony accidentally revealed how much money Call of Duty is worth to PlayStation.

We knew it was over a billion dollars, but PlayStation boss Jim Ryan’s unredacted letter suggests CoD represented $800 million in PlayStation revenue in the United States alone, and — I think that says $1.5 billion, right? — worldwide. (That’s in 2021 specifically.)

Those players represent way more money to Sony than that, though: Ryan says CoD players spend (what looks to me like) $15.9 billion per year, on average, on everything else they buy.

Then again, some PlayStation gamers play nothing but CoD, we just learned.

Source: https://www.theverge.com/23768244/ftc-microsoft-activision-blizzard-case-news-announcements

unredacted_3.jpg

Last edited:

mrmustard

Banned
So MS making this exclusive is a step towards "killing playstation". People have said they make big money from COD but this is more than I expected.
It's a lot, but i think they also spend a lot on the deals and the marketing. Too bad, those numbers weren't included.

NickFire

I can easily believe this. It sells a ton of copies at full price, plus has sales on occasion. Then there is a battle pass. And on top of that premium stuff outside the battle pass, like Snoop in Vanguard. You wouldn't believe how many Snoops were running around at one point.

Puscifer

You forgot to add, "in 2021". That's a single year. Your title has no context without it.
I dunno man, I would think it's similar. Sony is fighting to keep COD for a reason and we found it because holy shit, these numbers would devastate their business easily.

Darsxx82

So MS making this exclusive is a step towards "killing playstation". People have said they make big money from COD but this is more than I expected.
Or the most revealing proof that MS is not interested in making exclusive COD because financially it does not make sense and that is why he has stated that he will continue to launch COD on PS5 and also on Switch. This can have different approaches.....

The reality is that ALL regulators (including the CMA) have opted for this approach and that is why they have denied a possible console harm.

Last edited:

ulantan

Or the most revealing proof that MS is not interested in making exclusive COD because financially it does not make sense and that is why he has stated that he will continue to launch COD on PS5 and also on Switch. This can have different approaches.....

The reality is that ALL regulators (including the CMA) have opted for this approach and that is why they have denied a possible console harm.
Why do that when you can dominate?

ulantan

Why getting more benefits is more interesting than losing ton of money?
You would still get that money the playerbase isn't just gonna stop playing CoD and the damage you'd do would be well worth the short term loss as people move over.

Darsxx82

You would still get that money the playerbase isn't just gonna stop playing CoD and the damage you'd do would be well worth the short term loss as people move over.
According to all the analyses shown (including by the FTC), an exclusive COD would only be reflected in a maximum 5.5% of PS users who would move to Xbox.

As I said in my edit. MS run the risk of devaluing the IP of CD and that many users of COD on PS bet on competing FPS games... Therefore, exclusivity can have many more detriments for MS than keeping it multi-platform. As I said, this is how all regulators including the CMA have understood it.

NEbeast

So why not just offer Jim parity and be done with this nonesense?

Corndog

Banned
That's a lot of money.

Moreover, $15.9 billion from people who played COD worldwide? That's even more important in the grand scheme of things. Because if those people switched platforms, they won't just be taking $800 million. They will also be taking their other non-COD spending away from PlayStation.
Kind of like taking FF away from Xbox.

Darsxx82

So why not just offer Jim parity and be done with this nonesense?
Because JIm has said no and just wants (for today email) that all Activision and Bethesda games are released on PS5, parity in quality, date and content, that those games are not released on gamepass and that they even share marketing ..... Tha is, he just want the adquisition blocked

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Kind of like taking FF away from Xbox.
Who did?

Did you read what SquareEnix told us?

SquareEnix reached out to Microsoft regarding Final Fantasy. Microsoft made SE an inadequate offer, which did not even include any development support. Sony's offer had development support.

That was a key thing for SquareEnix, and SE decided to go with PlayStation.

Maybe Microsoft should have offered technical support to SquareEnix if FF was important for them?

Holy fuck. No wonder they’re so desperate to get it shut down. This really is just out of fear that MS will take away Sonys free meal ticket 😆

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Playstation has been my Call of Duty + Weebshit combo machine for years. There’s usually nothing else worth playing on it besides those two things.

NEbeast

Because JIm has said no and just wants (for today email) that all Activision and Bethesda games are released on PS5, parity in quality, date and content, that those games are not released on gamepass and that they even share marketing ..... Tha is, he just want the adquisition blocked.
You need to stop listening to colt and the crew.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
But MS would be making approx 4 times this. So $3.2 billion per year just in the US, just from Playstation players.

Gojiira

Who did?

Did you read what SquareEnix told us?

SquareEnix reached out to Microsoft regarding Final Fantasy. Microsoft made SE an inadequate offer, which did not even include any development support. Sony's offer had development support.

That was a key thing for SquareEnix, and SE decided to go with PlayStation.

Maybe Microsoft should have offered technical support to SquareEnix if FF was important for them?
This is the reason a lot of devs go to Sony, people forget thats the exact reason Ghostwire and Deathloop were exclusive and why Starfield was going to be, BETHESDA reached out to Sony and Sony made the better offer…

Top Bottom