• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Pocket Adventure - Dimps Rolls onto the Scene

Ah, Dimps. They got worse and worse as they went. Ironic thread title considering Dimps' involvement in removing/marginalizing rolling from the games ;P

I never played pocket adventure, but Advance 1 was as close as they got to classic gameplay from their games I played. Still didn't have very good level design, though :/

Sad but true. I was so hyped for the Rush games and Sonic 4, and the reality was incredibly disappointing with bad physics, poor level design and the pointless introduction of boosts and homing attacks.

This game came out before Sonic Adventure, right? That means that this is the first game to use Sonic's modern design over the original Genesis ones.

RK128

This game came out before Sonic Adventure, right? That means that this is the first game to use Sonic's modern design over the original Genesis ones.

I believe the game released after Sonic Adventure, not before (as this came out in 1999; Sonic Adventure released in Japan first in 1998).

But I've been wrong before, so will edit the OP if needed.

RagnarokX

Sad but true. I was so hyped for the Rush games and Sonic 4, and the reality was incredibly disappointing with bad physics, poor level design and the pointless introduction of boosts and homing attacks.
Sonic Team showed us that gameplay can be great in Colors and Generations. I still want a new classic game but those two games made me reevaluate that gameplay style after years of terrible games using it. Really Sonic as a franchise has been suffering from poor level design ever since the departure of Yasahura, and Colors and Generations show how much of a difference good level design can make even if the physics are still shit.

Dimps is phenomenally bad at level design, though. The Advance and Rush games have some of the least memorable levels in gaming.

Sonic Team showed us that gameplay can be great in Colors and Generations. I still want a new classic game but those two games made me reevaluate that gameplay style after years of terrible games using it. Really Sonic as a franchise has been suffering from poor level design ever since the departure of Yasahura, and Colors and Generations show how much of a difference good level design can make even if the physics are still shit.

Yeah. That's why I was initially so hyped for Lost World, I thought NST and Carol Yas would be doing it. :/

Dimps is phenomenally bad at level design, though. The Advance and Rush games have some of the least memorable levels in gaming.

I disagree, they have some very memorable sections that encourage you to speed up and jump into the unknown

that unknown always turning out to be a bottomless pit of course.

dock

I bought a link cable and played this two player. It was interesting to have a more fully fledged version of 2 player Sonic 2, but I was surprised at how much lag there was in a 1 metre cable (!).

Will never get over the low score they gave Unleashed HD and how the Wii version got higher scores............

Unleashed Wii wasn't anything special, but the HD version objectively has some of the worst game design ever seen in a AAA release. I legitimately do not understand how anyone can enjoy that game.

RagnarokX

I disagree, they have some very memorable sections that encourage you to speed up and jump into the unknown

that unknown always turning out to be a bottomless pit of course.
Yeah, always a bottomless pit. Sonic Team is guilty, too, and instead of fixing it they instead put those garish bottomless pit signs everywhere.

Dimps levels rarely stand out from one another. They basically feel like the same level with different backgrounds. They aren't very good at creating gimmicks and establishing themes. And usually when they do create a level that stands out it's something awful like Altitude Limit. I guess Music Plant is good...

RK128

Unleashed Wii wasn't anything special, but the HD version objectively has some of the worst game design ever seen in a AAA release. I legitimately do not understand how anyone can enjoy that game.

I enjoyed Unleashed HD quite a bit and made my thoughts very clear on that subject :).

But I'm sorry you didn't like the game, as the games issues can be big ones :(.

My perception of this game -- not having really gotten to play it -- has always just been that's it's kind of a remixed downport of Sonic 2, and in 2016, why not just play Sonic 2? Totally willing to be talked out of this.

My perception of this game -- not having really gotten to play it -- has always just been that's it's kind of a remixed downport of Sonic 2, and in 2016, why not just play Sonic 2? Totally willing to be talked out of this.

You are right! But the levels themselves are new (same motifs, different layouts), the bosses are new, and it still plays really well.

So it's "just" more of one of the best Sonic games ever made. That's not a bad thing! Especially at this point!

Top Bottom