• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Lost Worlds Debut Trailer [Up: Wii U + 3DS screenshots]

BD1

Banned
3D Mario won't be out in 2013.
There is NO WAY this and Sonic Lost World are releasing this close to each other.

Yes it will. We are going to have "Panic Nintendo" deja vu this holiday with Wii U. Mario Kart, Super Mario & Sonic. It worked once, why wouldn't it work again? ;-p

Neiteio

So... 3DS port?

Not impressed by the graphics at all. Looks fun though, and I hope you can use the Pro controller or the Gamepad.

Sonic Extreme 2.0...

GIF-O-RAMA!

10juuda.gif

1ljupd.gif

2ixug4.gif

35wu5g.gif

49butu.gif

5k0u66.gif

69eu5o.gif

702uri.gif

834udr.gif

91lu30.gif
For the new page. For great justice.

image.php

Hale-XF11

Well, here's to hoping that the 3DS version isn't some watered-down version of the Wii U game. Not getting excited until we see that version.

Looks like a pretty good direction to take, gameplay-wise.

Visually, it is kinda underwhelming and doesn't compare that well to GHZ in Generations, but that can be forgiven if it's 60fps. If it's 30, well, it'll do.

RagnarokX

Looks great. The more I watch it the more I like it. I don't like the lack of detail on the badniks. At least they have animals inside them, unlike Generations.

i9bqBMrKtj9xD.gif

They brought back infinity sign spinny legs. Looks like Sonic gets them whenever he hits a speedbooster that litters the world after that tragic Chemical Plant explosion.

hatchx

Banned
Sorry but I really struggle to find an explanation to a first party funded game developed from the ground up for WiiU that is the first on a iconic and historic partership to be less impressive visually than a B multiplatform game for 6 year old hardware.

Gameplay it's awesome and I can't wait to have this bad boy on my 3DS but WiiU version should look no less that this

It's easy to post a still screenshot and compare to a game we know little about.

I said before, there are other factors with how technology is optimized. What if Sonic Lost Worlds has zero load times, or plays at 10x the speed, or has co-op multiplayer, or has a scope/explorable worlds that weren't possible with Generations?

I get it that screenshot looks better than a screenshot from Lost Worlds, but from what I can tell already the gameplay is faster and tighter in Lost Worlds and that may be why the graphical fidelity/style is different.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Visually, it is kinda underwhelming and doesn't compare that well to GHZ in Generations, but that can be forgiven if it's 60fps. If it's 30, well, it'll do.
Not only 60fps, but if it allows greater continuity with 3DS, that's cool.

Oh I'm sure it won't. I'm sure it will be its own separate turd just like Generations was.
Sonic Colors DS was good. We can dream... :(

TreIII

..........Why the fu-.... You know. Why do we even call him Sonic anymore? Why do they even avertise his speed or any of that bullshit if we're just gonna avoid it for now on. Let's paint him brown and call him Sonny Hedgehog like that stupid ass Sonic Bible story. lol

In 3D Sonic especially Speed is a part of his gameplay identity. Break neck speed and adrenaline rush is what separates him from any platformer that isn't Mario.

What I would say was what separated Sonic from Mario back in the day was the momentum-based gameplay, more than anything else. Sonic felt like a heavy pinball with legs, which made the moments when he attained that speed all the more awesome.

Most modern-Sonic games, with their focus on Boost mechanics, just never "felt" right to me, in comparison.

NTom64

Here's one we haven't seen since SA2:

Ledge grab.

Actually Shadow might've had that, but other than that.

Motherfucker, I was JUST about to post this haha.

Initial impressions:

Thematically it seems kinda bland. They really should have gone with in-game music because since Gens their trailers have been scored terribly.

Gameplay-wise, looks fun! The wall run should come in super handy when it comes to speed runs and the like. Looking forward to seeing/hearing more about the game.

Did Rich specify when the additional info is coming? In terms of hours etc.

ElFly

..........Why the fu-.... You know. Why do we even call him Sonic anymore? Why do they even avertise his speed or any of that bullshit if we're just gonna avoid it for now on. Let's paint him brown and call him Sonny Hedgehog like that stupid ass Sonic Bible story. lol

In 3D Sonic especially Speed is a part of his gameplay identity. Break neck speed and adrenaline rush is what separates him from any platformer that isn't Mario.

I'm gonna need more gameplay footage, a demo, and a speedrun video before I let myself get excited. Right now, I just feel disappointed.

But I may be wrong.

Aaand the 3d sonic are full of neck breaking speedy parts where you barely touch the controller at all.

The speed is fine.

Heyt

Banned
It's easy to post a still screenshot and compare to a game we know little about.

I said before, there are other factors with how technology is optimized. What if Sonic Lost Worlds has zero load times, or plays at 10x the speed, or has co-op multiplayer, or has a scope/explorable worlds that weren't possible with Generations?

I get it that screenshot looks better than a screenshot from Lost Worlds, but from what I can tell already the gameplay is faster and tighter in Lost Worlds and that may be why the graphical fidelity/style is different.

Fair enough. I hope we get more info on this soon. IGN was going to have some more coverage today, right?

This is going have to come with a motion sickness warning I bet. The speed at which it's running and that the camera can change at any moment is going to be a problem for some I think.

I really want to know if the grass moves when standing still.

I can't believe so many people actually think the camera is going to move around like that. Are you serious? You know this is a trailer... right?

J@hranimo

Banned
Slightly off topic, but have there been any games for the Wii U thus far that are 60 fps? I just don't know if this game will even come close to 60. Maybe locked 30 fps is more believable.

Krowley

I think it looks really fun. The gameplay might even manage to capture more of a classic 2d sonic vibe in 3d, that would be my hope....

Admittedly, it is not quite as pretty as the other newer sonic games, but I think they are trying to make it look more like the classic 2D sonics in terms of art direction, which is very cool, and frame rate might also be a priority. A great frame rate could make a world of difference.

It looks amazing! Love the retro style, the use of the original animals and how the game seems to play.
I dont like much the boss designs (at least they are cartoony), and I would have prefered sonic's original design becuase the long one stick like a sore thumb in this cartoony world but apart of that it looks great.
Cautiously optimistic.

Sonic Xtreme, is that you?!

Looks neat. I love the visual style and the return of the animal friends. Hopefully the movement feels right.

Edit: do the trails Sonic leaves while wall-running remind anyone else of the Super Mario Galaxy starman effect?

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I'm usually one to be hyped for a Sonic game but I must be missing what everyone else is seeing in this trailer. Looks like it will be a mess to control. Meh.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Man, if the 3DS version is actually the proper game, I'll be fucking psyched. I can hold off on that Wii U purchase even longer. :p
Ahahahaha. I was gonna say something like that, too.

(Nah, I'm gonna get a Wii U for this and a few other things by the time this year ends. I've gotta play Sonic Day 1. Sorry.)

khaaan

I'm gonna need more gameplay footage, a demo, and a speedrun video before I let myself get excited. Right now, I just feel disappointed.

But I may be wrong.

Sonic was always fast, but it was never fast for the sake of being fast. A lot of the times (especially in later levels) it would be a steady but cautious progression because running at breakneck speeds would often end with a spike, enemy or some other hazard that would stop you. Speedy gameplay came from an understanding of the level, its paths, and the enemy layouts so you could attempt to blaze through something in a matter of seconds/minutes. They have definitely taken steps to have a good compromise of both with recent games.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Where are the gaems?

Here.

Although, this title seems to be a spiritual successor to Colors, which was also a really good game.

I eagerly await it on Wii-U, Wii-U, Wii-U.

Just in time really, as I got a brand new copy of colors for $9.99 yesterday from Futureshop.
I'm going to play through on the Wii-U, and see the sharper image.

Top Bottom