• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOMA - sales, reception, etc. after ten days

JRW

The thing I couldn't understand is some outside areas which had loads of detail seemed perfectly ok, while some others did what you describe. Almost like some areas have infinite draw distance.

It must be some kind of optimization issue, I played through a portion of Soma on a GTX 670 and it had random framerate drops mainly outdoors (outside of the known autosave / new load hitches) I recently upgraded to a 290X 4GB and although the frame drops are less severe I still experience them in odd places.

But it's a great game I'm actually enjoying it a lot and I was a huge fan of Amnesia.

Shizuka

If they spent 5 years developing SOMA and they made enough money for two years, that means they can't afford to develop another game in the scope of SOMA, with five years in development.

Kinthalis

Banned
If they spent 5 years developing SOMA and they made enough money for two years, that means they can't afford to develop another game in the scope of SOMA, with five years in development.

True, but the assumption is that the game will (hopefully) continue to sell.

Hopefully kickstarter can be yet another source of development capital.

Granjinha

For now. These kind of games have long legs, they will probably end up recouping the costs of Soma.

And maybe they don't want to develop another game like Soma. That takes five years, i mean.

True, but the assumption is that the game will (hopefully) continue to sell.

This is it - this is 2 years development time on the current sales, whereas, as stated, if they sell 2000 units a day, that's sustainable that they don't have to dip into the money made from the 92,000 units.

Lingitiz

PC games have longer legs than console games outside of Nintendo. They're going to sell a lot in the months to come. Hell even a sale on the upcoming Halloween sale at 25-33% should do well for them.

fastmower

Surprised by all the short comments coming out, took me at least 6 hours to complete it I think. Where you guys just sprinting through the game and not taking in any of the environment design, audio logs, documents and such? It's definitely a slow paced exploration game.

Its taken me at least 9 hours...

Top Bottom