• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Overwatch 2 released yesterday... What happened?

How do you think Overwatch 2 release came along?

• It's having an awesome launch, people not into it are just out of the loop

• Already (or going into) a hard flopp

• Just a well enough launch, shadowed by the new trend (BR games)

Results are only viewable after voting.

MarkMe2525

Feels like being scammed, doesn't it? I also found out that people with prepaid phones are not able to access the game as they need a postpaid plan. Never again.
It really is. I've been gaming for 30 years and have always stayed away from f2p or live service titles. I know this happens but it has reinforced my hesitancy to invest in these types of games.

MarkMe2525

Wait.

You dont get to keep the skins you already had from Overwatch 1? I thought they explicitly said that skins would carry over to 2?

Also you have to unlock characters? I thought the were all unlocked except the battle pass one.
You have to compete "Hero Challenges" or something similar to gain access to at least half of them. I also was under the impression that skins would carry over, but at the moment, none of mine are available.

Edit: I've been told the skin issue is a bug.

Last edited:

Wildebeest

I think it is going how I would have predicted. A lot of people have come back, but they will quickly hit a wall of remembering all the things which made them quit and haven't really changed.

Doom85

You have to compete "Hero Challenges" or something similar to gain access to at least half of them. I also was under the impression that skins without carry over, but at the moment, none of mine are available.

It‘s a bug. Developers have already said they’re working to fix it. Assuming you’re playing on the same network (like I’m on PlayStation Network) you should be able to get your unlocked stuff back soon.

Ribi

what are these reviews of 9? They are reviewing it as a full package but thats disingenuous since more than 90% is just overwatch 1 which reviewed well. They should review as what was added and compare it to what the game was. a 9/10 is ridiculous

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I honestly can’t believe this server shit isn’t fixed yet. It’s pretty embarrassing at this point. It’s been over 30 hours.

KXVXII9X

It really is. I've been gaming for 30 years and have always stayed away from f2p or live service titles. I know this happens but it has reinforced my hesitancy to invest in these types of games.
Likewise. I downloaded this despite my aversion to games as a service since I owned OW1. At the end I will just continue to play more single player games, but this also reinforced my hesitancy of these kinds of games. I'm worried for the future of gaming.

Don't listen to this guy. He means figuratively not literally. Take a few days off work, relax, and play Overwatch 1 to your hearts content and remember Activision loves u.
I mean Overwatch 1 is literally shutdown though. I know you are trying to be smart but please drop the ego dude. Actually, no don't drop it. Because if you climb up to your own Ego and then drop down to your IQ you would end up killing yourself :p

Overwatch 1 shutdown - https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/overwatch-1-shut-down-servers-overwatch-2/

Last edited:

BlackTron

What happened is they took away Overwatch 1 and replaced it with Overwatch 2, a F2P version of the same game with the same maps and one less player per team, that now requires your phone number.

They couldn't even align its release with the only thing that could possibly seem remotely "2" about it, the PvE mode, despite years of time. All we have is a less good stripped version of 1 really lol.

I can't be the only person who has put hundreds of hours into Overwatch and has just no interest in ever downloading this game.

I remember getting tired waiting for new maps years ago. Now we have something called Overwatch 2 and it's still the SAME maps which is just hilarious. It really is nothing other than a switch to F2P with a marketing gimmick. I mean even without being a supposed sequel they could update Overwatch with maps come on lol.

What happened is they took away Overwatch 1 and replaced it with Overwatch 2, a F2P version of the same game with the same maps and one less player per team, that now requires your phone number.

They couldn't even align its release with the only thing that could possibly seem remotely "2" about it, the PvE mode, despite years of time. All we have is a less good stripped version of 1 really lol.

I can't be the only person who has put hundreds of hours into Overwatch and has just no interest in ever downloading this game.

I remember getting tired waiting for new maps years ago. Now we have something called Overwatch 2 and it's still the SAME maps which is just hilarious. It really is nothing other than a switch to F2P with a marketing gimmick. I mean even without being a supposed sequel they could update Overwatch with maps come on lol.
There are quite a few new maps my friend and a new game mode called Push alongside 3 new heroes with a 4th one coming this December.

Last edited:

BlackTron

There are quite a few new maps my friend and a new game mode called Push alongside 3 new heroes with a 4th one coming this December.

Thanks for clarifying about the maps, based on other comments I thought it really was all the same maps lol. I'll never find out first hand.

Sensates

So far, 5v5 to me felt less fun as ppl die fast and its easier to snowball into winning. All the open areas also made Mercy extra vulnerable. i've not played a fun clutch match yet..

Jennings

I think the multi-player will have more staying power than Halo Infinite multiplayer. And I think the PvE will be better received than Battleborn's PvE.

Overall the game should do much better than Anthem.

nikos

It's an odd feeling to click on my copy of Overwatch 1, that I paid for, for it to then update and turn into Overwarch 2. It then boots up and I have access to only a third of the characters that I used to have access to, and all my unlocked skins are gone. I promptly deleted.

That's a bug. Everything from Overwatch carries over. If it hasn't fixed itself yet, it will.

yazenov

I probably played a week worth of Overwatch1 and moved on as I was bored to tears with the repetitive shit.

Now I have not interest in touching Overwatch 2 even when its free to play. Most people like me moved on.

tvdaXD

It's fucking horrible, I wasn't even able to play (because queues failed, even caused a BSOD for some reason... And yes, Windows, Chipset Drivers, GPU Drivers and Battle.net/Overwatch are up-to-date and have been verified.) There's not a single excuse for a company worth billions not to have their servers up and running and prepared for a launch on this scale. How haven't they learned this with every WoW update/release.
The day after I was greeted with Overwatch 1.5 that just plays faster paced, which isn't really nice since you either die/kill within seconds or not at all if you're/they're being healed. So there's no consistent feeling gameplay. Then some things just work worse, such as the quick menu for voice lines and emotes... And to top it all off, the fucking store and battlepass. It's too much of a grind, (Who would've guessed?) and it's way too expensive, (not to mention, some items from Overwatch 1 are suddenly twice the price?) paying €20 for a skin is absolute insanity, whomever buys one is a clown. Have you all forgotten you got Overwatch 1, the entirety of the game filled with amazing 3D assets and gameplay for just €40?! Now you're all okay with paying half for less than 1% of a game, for a singular cosmetic?
I've just lost all hope at this point, ever since they kept releasing more info about the game and dropped the word Battlepass it's been a downward spiral. This trash launch is well deserved for a company that treats its developers like shit.

Last edited:

KiteGr

You mean to tell me that the game that I legally boght twice,
....that without being justified by any significant drops,
....has been discontinued...
....and replaced with a more monetisable Free2Pay version,
....isn't doing well?

thumb_behold-the-field-in-which-igrow-my-fucks-lay-thine-49282205.png

Elitro

As someone who experienced OW for the first time i had a great time.

It does feel a bit barebones (only quickplay until you win 50 matches lol) and no PVE. Would have loved to see PVE but there's actually quickplay and arcade.

The f2p could have had a different implementation. League is also f2p but you earn credits which you can then use to buy specific heroes, unlike OW2 which locks the heroes behind ridiculous battlepass levels (55 for the best support in the game).

Unfortunately there were a lot of server issues which also made it extremely frustrating to get in and eventually i gave up on trying to play it at night.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
So far, 5v5 to me felt less fun as ppl die fast and its easier to snowball into winning. All the open areas also made Mercy extra vulnerable. i've not played a fun clutch match yet..

The game is not designed to be fun, it's designed to be competitive, competitive people will have fun with that, however the casuals will soon find there joy fading without a carrot to chase... 5v5 actually makes OW2 even more competitive than Overwatch as you are now 1/5th of a team not 1/6th.

Honestly go load up chivalry 2 on gamepass and feel the diffrence in pressure as you play, you will find you can relax and have fun, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose but you will always be having fun.

Fun for casuals was OW2 goal originally, thats why it used to be PvE focussed, because they realised competitive overwatch could never be fun, however... someone somewhere is a fucking moron so here you have it, ultra competitive OW2 PvP.

Last edited:

TheMan

Played a match yesterday and it was fine. Not great, not terrible. Even if I had loved OW1 (I didn’t) there wouldn’t be much to get excited about here. Really fees like OW 1.5 rather than a true sequel

Sure seems to be a lot of people rushing to play a "dead" game.

I've been enjoying it through all the iterations OW has gone through, and will continue to enjoy it into whever OW2 goes.

Having fun with this on PC but playing on Switch is like eating with your feet, painful, annoying and completely unsatisfying. Even with gyro controls, 30fps against other console platforms is complete nonsense.

Hopefully these DDoS attacks stop because that could put the game in the ground pretty quickly. From the frequency of the attacks, it also sounds like they didn’t invest in any DDoS protection.

Flintty

I managed to get a few games in last night. As a tank, it's way harder to stay alive in this new 5v5 dynamic. Often wondering what the healer is doing or why my DPS aren't... DPSing. Will take a while to get used to.

Doom85

Sure seems to be a lot of people rushing to play a "dead" game.

That has always been a bullshit narrative that clickbait-loving Youtubers and article writers pushed with little evidence to back it up when the actual numbers indicated the game was doing well even in the period between Echo’s release and Overwatch 2 when no new content was released. In 2021, the game was averaging 5 million players per month, with the highest month having 7.3 million. In 2022 prior to OW2 launch, the game numbers rose to an average of almost 7 million players per month.

Overwatch has been doing fine, just either people willing to lie for “those views” or those with a Blizzard hate-boner claim otherwise.

Hugare

Tried to play it at 2 AM and still had 10.000 people waiting to play

Waited for 40 minutes and didnt make in, so I just gave up for the night

Terrible launch

Celcius

°Temp. member
Since there's no OT for the game then I'll ask here - does OW2 have cross-platform progression? For example, I currently have the game on battle.net (PC). If I download the F2P PS5 version, will all of my progress and data be there?

edit: nevermind, I see that you can if you link your accounts

Last edited:
Top Bottom