• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch 2 is charging $15 for the PvE missions it didn't cancel

Draugoth

Gold Member
overwatch-2-invasion.jpg

It's been one baffling decision after the other from Blizzard when it comes to Overwatch 2, and with its latest announcement that you'll have to pay for the PvE content it didn't cancel, you can add another one to that list. While the release date for the first batch of PvE content, titled Overwatch 2: Invasion, dropped over the weekend during the Xbox showcase, it wasn't until late last night that Blizzard shared some more specific details, most notably that you'll have to fork over $15 in order to even play it.

It's been one baffling decision after the other from Blizzard when it comes to Overwatch 2, and with its latest announcement that you'll have to pay for the PvE content it didn't cancel, you can add another one to that list. While the release date for the first batch of PvE content, titled Overwatch 2: Invasion, dropped over the weekend during the Xbox showcase, it wasn't until late last night that Blizzard shared some more specific details, most notably that you'll have to fork over $15 in order to even play it.

If paying for Overwatch 2 bundles doesn't bother you, you can also get a more expensive one called the Overwatch 2: Ultimate Invasion Bundle for a much more expensive $40, which gives you everything mentioned above, as well as the Null Sector Premium Battle Pass with 20 Battle Pass skips, an extra 1000 Overwatch Coins (giving you a total of 2000), and two additional Legendary skins for Cassidy and Kiriko.

You'll be able to dive into Overwatch 2: Invasion when it drops August 10, just a couple of months away.

I kind of didn’t expect any less and wondered what the announcement was for SP content on Sunday, thinking they had cancelled it.

Stupid fucking game, stupid fucking company.

I can’t wait to see how they absolutely ruin Diablo 4 in the next few weeks. I’ve got a funny feeling that it’s going to go the same route as Call of Duty, first few weeks seem OK and then boom! Battle Pass and new items from the store getting thrown in your face.

Salz01

I’m so confused about what this all is, especially after they announced a couple weeks ago content is cancelled. They must be so fucked up in that department. I never thought to pay for the pve content.

Bridges

I was under the impression the PvP was free and the campaign/PvE stuff would cost money. Wasn’t that always the plan?
Yeah I thought they were pretty transparent about that from the jump.

I think the confusing thing is the messaging around all of this.

It started as "Here's a $60 new version with multiplayer that crossplays with OW1 and includes an in-depth new campaign"

to "We're shutting down OW1 but 2 will be free, the paid campaign will come later"

To "we are going to release the paid campaign episodically across the multiplayer seasons"

To "we have cancelled the campaign"

To "we are re-using our work to deliver PvE content that is not the campaign we promised but we're still charging for it"

I don't blame anyone for being confused or frustrated.

I wish for their Game Pass offering they gave access to the PvE instead of to a bunch of heroes most players already have at this point.

sn0man

Wait? Wasn’t the single player stuff all canceled? I’m still a bit shocked they took OW offline but now there is SP mode back?

Fuz

Banned
I kind of didn’t expect any less and wondered what the announcement was for SP content on Sunday, thinking they had cancelled it.

Stupid fucking game, stupid fucking company.

I can’t wait to see how they absolutely ruin Diablo 4 in the next few weeks. I’ve got a funny feeling that it’s going to go the same route as Call of Duty, first few weeks seem OK and then boom! Battle Pass and new items from the store getting thrown in your face.
Also fuck everyone who bought that store masked as a diablo game.

And to spice it up even more they already have all your banking and credit card info bc of the cell phone number you gave! Say goodbye to $15 and hello to some shitty content!
What? That’s nonsense. Your financial information and phone number are separate and in no way connected (outside of your bank knowing how to contact you).

This is a massively misinformed response.

Yeah I thought they were pretty transparent about that from the jump.

I think the confusing thing is the messaging around all of this.

It started as "Here's a $60 new version with multiplayer that crossplays with OW1 and includes an in-depth new campaign"

to "We're shutting down OW1 but 2 will be free, the paid campaign will come later"

To "we are going to release the paid campaign episodically across the multiplayer seasons"

To "we have cancelled the campaign"

To "we are re-using our work to deliver PvE content that is not the campaign we promised but we're still charging for it"

I don't blame anyone for being confused or frustrated.

I wish for their Game Pass offering they gave access to the PvE instead of to a bunch of heroes most players already have at this point.

Well, if they charged $60 for the version with the campaign, canceled it, and are charging those people again for the PvE, then I understand the outrage. But surely if you bought the campaign that was later canceled, you can get a refund?

Ribi

The base game is free. People want all of its content for free as well? PvE was going to be paid content from the beginning.
Right, but when you come out and say "we are cancelling single player" and hint that the decision was made at launch but didnt mention it, that shows a blatant disrespect to the audience. The reason for the "2" was supposed to be the single player. THen they come around and say it cancelled only to comeback and say here have some crumbs but you have to pay for it. There's a certain thing called know your audience and this move from a PR standpoint is baffling.

I get that they have to make money from this because of development costs, but this move is just a slap in the face to their fans.

Bridges

Well, if they charged $60 for the version with the campaign, canceled it, and are charging those people again for the PvE, then I understand the outrage. But surely if you bought the campaign that was later canceled, you can get a refund?
As far as I'm aware, no money was ever collected for it so no one is being double charged or anything.

I don't think there's enough players remaining to give a shit about Overwatch 2 drama at this point
Plenty of people playing Overwatch 2. Personally I think the gameplay is as good as it's ever been. All the trappings around it involving mtx and the f2p model are the annoying parts.

Plenty of things to dislike OW2 over but this feels like people just want to dogpile more on Blizzard. Lots of uninformed people here not realizing that we've known this type of content would cost money for years at this point.

done.gif

Internally I was still holding on to some sort of hope, that maybe they felt they did the wrong thing and would reverse their decision. This news was a slap of reality in the face. I’m finally uninstalling this game.

Exoprimal will be out very shortly and will be exactly what I’m looking for.

Barakov

Gold Member
overwatch-2-invasion.jpg

If paying for Overwatch 2 bundles doesn't bother you, you can also get a more expensive one called the Overwatch 2: Ultimate Invasion Bundle for a much more expensive $40, which gives you everything mentioned above, as well as the Null Sector Premium Battle Pass with 20 Battle Pass skips, an extra 1000 Overwatch Coins (giving you a total of 2000), and two additional Legendary skins for Cassidy and Kiriko.

You'll be able to dive into Overwatch 2: Invasion when it drops August 10, just a couple of months away.
Hahaha. I made the right decision uninstalling this thing. Blizzard you got me with D4 but not this.

Nydius

Hahaha. I made the right decision uninstalling this thing. Blizzard you got me with D4 but not this.

Same on both accounts. Such a shame, as I played the original daily for the first few years but then it became one bungled decision after the next. As soon as they said they were cancelling the campaign and doing some smaller scale crappy PVE modes, what little interest or hope I had regarding the game was gone.

I hope Jeff Kaplan has put Overwatch in a memory hole and doesn’t even follow the news about the game because if he‘s watching how badly they’re messing it up, well, I can only imagine he’d look like this:

200.gif

small_law

I only have so much headspace for administrative overhead when it comes to games. I'm not wrapping my head around what overwatch is or isn't. And I'm certainly not giving blizzard money for whatever it is.

I'm just surprised with all the bullshit that OverWatch has hung on the way it has. Does it really have that much interest after all of this and all the balance problems? Isn't OverWatch League tanking? I saw something about that recently.

What a waste of a franchise. When it was just a casual squad-based ability shooter, everybody jumped in. It was a really enjoyable game for that first 6 to 8 months after release. Introducing comp was a terrible idea. Bungie never had the temerity to push destiny into the competitive esports realm because the balancing would have been a nightmare. Exactly the same nightmare blizzard has gone through.

Blizzard should have kept OverWatch a game for filthy casuals. There I said it.

Nydius

Shut up and stop ruining a good outrage thread with facts.
Distorted facts, more like.

The paid-for PvE mode was supposed to be a full, complete, deep campaign with skill trees for all the heroes and a bigger scope than just coop PvE. THIS, what they want people to pay $15 for, is just a slightly expanded version of the same Invasion event that was free every year prior to OW2.

Pretty big difference, and I suspect he knows that.
But shills are gonna shill, I guess.

Last edited:
Shut up and stop ruining a good outrage thread with facts.
I’ve defended this game when barely anyone had done so back when OW2 first came out and people were outraged about the PvP changes. I tried telling everyone to just hold on for the Campaign mode. I can still imagine the grand idea of extremely good overwatch gameplay wrapped into a full blown RPG PvE campaign mode. It would have been a serious contender to Destiny 2.

This isn’t that. Both of you are making a really bad take here, because you’re both missing much needed context. This is a gutted ‘mode’ that will essentially be a few repeatable missions and cutscenes, like the yearly PvE missions OW1 had years prior for free. Now it costs money.

If you truly feel this will be that PvE mode they promised or anywhere near it, feel free to spend your well earned money on it and jump through verbal hoops and move goalposts to attempt to tell us that we are wrong.

The rest of us are moving on from this living disappointment of a video game and dev studio, while some of us hope that Diablo 4 doesn’t follow it down the gutter.

Top Bottom