• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So did anyone watch Babylon?

Dr_Salt

I live in latam and Babylon just got to the theaters here. I am on the fence about this one since the reviews are polar opposites. Seems people either love it or hate it.

I have seen it being compared to boogie nights which is probably my favorite movie of all time so maybe I could end up enjoying it. So what do you say GAF, should I go to the theater for this one or just skip it?

Last edited:

Ownage

Babylon 5 was dope.

babylon_5.jpg

Last edited:

Mr Blobby

The movie was excellent. Every storyline was great!

Chazelle is a phenomenal director. This might be my favorite of his movies. They promoted this as some dumb hedonistic romp. They sold it short.
My thoughts as well. Some great scenes and the director does a great job in sharing his love of (early) cinema along with the issues behind and in front of the camera and of the period. Didn't realise it was 3+ hours until I walked out of the cinema haha.

I watched it in theatres and it’s a movie that def should be watched in theatres if you ever watch it. The theatre experience enhances the wolf of Wall Street party vibes this movie has.

The movie itself was pretty bad imo so hard to recommend watching at home - the story didn’t really go anywhere and I didn’t feel the message came accross an impactful way I could take seriously. The characters were pretty forgettable/unlikabale/uninteresting. I liked brad Pitt the most but mostly because he was similar to his role in inglorious basterds. Margot Robbie was super unlikable. Tobey maguire was a nice Easter egg in the film.

I’m not surprised this movie bombed. For a movie like this to be successful it really needs to be good/the best at a certain thing. Wolf of Wall Street remains the best playboy/frat/money/party movie. Once upon a time in Hollywood is still the best/most fun at describing changes in Hollywood. If I wanted to stick to the 1920s vibe I’d rather watch The Aviator any day (love this movie).

Babylon was not good

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
The GOAT!
They are planning a remake, but .. what they did with the 3D technology back then was damn impressive. Even the makers of the software didn’t know it was possible.
I wish they still had the OG 3D files so that the HD release could have had better visuals.

Oberstein

Babylon 5 was dope.

babylon_5.jpg

It's not funny anymore, half of the actors are dead... :messenger_persevering:

After watching several episodes again, I feel that it has aged a lot. Of course, the Lando-G'Kar relationship is still amazing, but, unlike DS9 (which stole the script), it has become very cheap and many episodes are used as filler for the final revelation.

Top Bottom