• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does Anyone Else Watch "For All Mankind" on Apple TV+?

Liljagare

This show makes it feel like we are living in the wrong timeline.

Season 4 started off with a bang.

People who think it's "woke" obviously haven't seen it. It has plenty of noijs male chauvinism, which actually is refreshing. :p Tons of interesting tid bits, but above all in the timeline of the show "woke" never happened. Rather, the show points out how hidden people who are LGBQT have to remain hidden (which I personally think is awfull), but this has nothing to do with wokeness, it's a arm and leg removed from it.

What if's that are fun, Al Gore won his election, Gorbachev remained, so Russia stabilized. Things happened in 1966 that made the timeline of the show.

The females of the show are not the heroes, Kinnaman really is in the end, and his friend.. boy, he got ass kicking. :p silvertape doesn't always works, heheee.

Above all, there is no sound in space.

Last edited:

Corian33

I got to the start of season 3 and decided to take a break. My problem with the show is not wokeness (it’s not that bad). It just seems to be gradually sliding towards way too much melodrama and not enough space stuff. I totally get that the astronauts home lives and the situation of their wives was part of the real life space race (just read The Right Stuff). However, this show lets that run off into rather improbable side stories that get more time than the main story.

From the reviews I’ve read, it doesn’t get better. Have to slog through hours of soap opera nonsense to get to the good stuff.

Ballthyrm

t just seems to be gradually sliding towards way too much melodrama and not enough space stuff. I totally get that the astronauts home lives and the situation of their wives was part of the real life space race (just read The Right Stuff). However, this show lets that run off into rather improbable side stories that get more time than the main story.

The problem with any contemporary or near future space show is that you have to accept the premise of Astronauts being "normal human" being when they are anything but.
Every modern astronaut is rigorously selected to not be a drama queen, sociable and easy going. Just watch any interview and they all come across as people anyone would want to hang out with.

If they wanted to be realistic they should do a comedy instead of drama, the office or Parks and Recreation are more realistic of what would actually happen than the stuff we are being fed usually.

Last edited:

Trilobit

If I remember correctly it's a very woke show. I first thought that it was cool that we'd see men from the 60s acting like men from the 60s, but very quickly they became present day Californians. I don't understand the point of rewriting stuff in that way. So I checked out in the first season, it became a lot less about space and a lot more about preaching the showrunners' values. If I want to scratch that space itch I'd rather watch First Man(2018) or the Space Brothers anime that felt quite realistic.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
It was too much of a slow burn for me. I gave it three episodes and barely anything happened. I actually fell asleep while watching that third episode.

It's well shot though. I'll give it that.

The brothers destroyed the show. Not wasting my time with the new season. Sounds like more soap opera bullshit. They lost the plot. Dude what is Elon but earlier lmao, dude what if illegal immigrants have it bad lmao. Well how about you do SOMETHING with those ideas? At least the lesbian subplot crawled its way to something (though it peaked in the capsule at the end of S01, but whatever, the brunette was hot).

Last edited:

Ballthyrm

The exception proves the rule. As always with NASA, they changed the way they did psychological tests so it doesn't happen again.
If anything that goes in my favor as Future astronaut would be even more rigorously selected until we get commercial ones.

Unless your fiction entails that all these people are just regular people in space because it is now accessible then fine.
But don't call them astronauts when they don't exhibit any of the characteristic they are specifically selected for.

SJRB

Gold Member
I watched season one but I bailed once it shifted its focus from space exploration and problem solving to relationship / family drama.

I wish we could get a show without all the bullshit about troublesome kids, wives in disarray while their husbands are on the moon, alcohol abuse, people secretly being gay. Just fuck off with that shit.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I watched season one but I bailed once it shifted its focus from space exploration and problem solving to relationship / family drama.

I wish we could get a show without all the bullshit about troublesome kids, wives in disarray while their husbands are on the moon, alcohol abuse, people secretly being gay. Just fuck off with that shit.
See, the problem here is that the writers room probably has ZERO engineers, physicists, or sci-fi writers in it who could create convincing, engrossing, and dramatic external solutions for competent, well adjusted, and "happy" people to deal with. I mean, it's a Ron Moore joint, so after BSG and his run on Star Trek where a "people problems first and foremost" strategy worked, why would he change? It's like this on damn near all sci-fi shows these days. I think The Martian was about the only exception and surprise, that was written by a sci-fi STEM trained guy. I'm sure they run FAM scripts through a science advisor but the focus is clearly on interpersonal struggles and social activism, not "science shit".

Gp1

I had been delaying starting this show for over a year and the "crying Woke" reviews didn't help. So far the first 5 episodes has been a a blast. Don't kill my vibe guys please :).

wipeout364

There is a good sci fi show fighting to get out of all the melodrama, social Justice politics and snail pace progression. Unfortunately it can’t seem to break through.

I watched the first two seasons a year or so ago and will probably watch more but it’s really a slog. I like alt history a lot but this is really slow and honestly when people ask me about I tell them to not bother unless the the idea really interests them. It’s 20% payoff and 80% yawnfest.

Lunarorbit

Only seen the 1st season but I really loved it. Watched it around the same time as Steve carrells Space Force and they had a lot of the same themes

Spyxos

Gold Member
I have now finished the last season. It was still fun. But I think I've slowly seen enough. In every new season I wanted to see how far they would get with the technology. Now I think I've seen everything and I already know what's going to happen in the next season.

JohnnyPhats

Love the show. All I’ll say is that there is one ridiculously unnecessary story line. Thankfully it’s over and both characters are dead.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I watched season 1. and the plotline about the astronaut losing his son while he was stuck in space really broke me and I have not been back.
Yeah, that was a drama high point and they haven't really been able to recreate it since. My main problem with the show is they cling to the cast WAAAAAAY too much and have to find stuff for them to do, some of the infidelity and LGB stuff was just too much and totally not focused on space. The racial stuff and a bit of the gender stuff was on point though, the shenanigans of getting the black female to meet up with the russians was great.

But the show just ignores legit scientific/engineering problems in favor of manufactured relationship drama at almost EVERY opportunity. I get this is Ron Moores schtick, but he needs a counterweight as I felt BSG tipped over too far into social drama and away from sci-fi as well. More of the traitor element passing secrets to the soviets, astronauts dealing with complications from rushed manufacturing, incomplete designs, or extreme conditions would be better IMHO.

Reactions: Gp1

Fbh

Got an Apple TV+ trial and have been checking this one out.
Have only watched 2 episodes but so far I'm enjoying it. Love the alternate history take and I think so far it's a good mix of interpersonal drama and space stuff.

That said yeah it does feel like a slow burn. These 60+ minute episodes really feel like they could have been trimmed down to 45.

Edit:
Ok so a couple more episodes in this has turned from interesting alternative history into "female astronauts the Tv show". Is that the focus moving forward?

Last edited:

ScythD

Got an Apple TV+ trial and have been checking this one out.
Have only watched 2 episodes but so far I'm enjoying it. Love the alternate history take and I think so far it's a good mix of interpersonal drama and space stuff.

That said yeah it does feel like a slow burn. These 60+ minute episodes really feel like they could have been trimmed down to 45.

Edit:
Ok so a couple more episodes in this has turned from interesting alternative history into "female astronauts the Tv show". Is that the focus moving forward?
Thankfully not, it will ebb and flow a bit but Nixon's women are not the complete focus.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fbh

jason10mm

Gold Member

I'm glad it was renewed. Spinoff also announced that will follow the Soviets during the moon race, should be interesting.
Eh, this show has strayed so far from "exploring space" in any scientific aspect that it may as well be "New York City journalists opening up a newspaper in rural Arkansas" for all the science and engineering elements of the show versus human drama. Seeing the same stuff from the Soviet angle isn't likely to improve things either, as we know they were just sponging off the US program for most of their developments.

edit: I will say that if they can get Shantel Vansanten back and have her be a Black Widow/The Americans-esque double agent the whole time she is the wife of Ed Baldwin...I might get back on board, love that actress.

Last edited:

Corian33

Gave up on this show a few seasons in. Original premise was amazing, but there’s only so much melodrama I can wade through to get to the good parts. There’s entire characters and subplots that could be removed without the show losing anything.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Eh, this show has strayed so far from "exploring space" in any scientific aspect that it may as well be "New York City journalists opening up a newspaper in rural Arkansas" for all the science and engineering elements of the show versus human drama. Seeing the same stuff from the Soviet angle isn't likely to improve things either, as we know they were just sponging off the US program for most of their developments.

edit: I will say that if they can get Shantel Vansanten back and have her be a Black Widow/The Americans-esque double agent the whole time she is the wife of Ed Baldwin...I might get back on board, love that actress.

Shantel is on FBI: Most Wanted on CBS

She has such a NICE round booty... Kinda like J. Lo used to when she was younger.

MrMephistoX

It’s a great show but it makes me so depressed sometimes to think of how much time has been wasted compared to where we should be in terms of space exploration if the show is accurate of what could have been achieved by now.

Seasons 1-3 were great. Season 4 was filler.

Agreed. I'd rather they didn't even make a season 4 instead of what we got.

It’s a great show but it makes me so depressed sometimes to think of how much time has been wasted compared to where we should be in terms of space exploration if the show is accurate of what could have been achieved by now.

Yes, it's a shame the world can't work together on furthering humanity.

We'll get there but it's going to take an extinction level event to unite us and to stop the squabbling over petty shit.

Top Bottom