• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So... Department of Defense confirms Direct Energy Weapons

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
How did this turn into a conspiracy theory thread halfway through the op?

Imagine believing in Directed energy weapons capable of burning things on the ground from over 200 miles in the space. :pie_roffles: You would need absolutely insane amount of energy to power such a weapon. On an orbiting self sufficent platform no less. Not to mention inverse square law. Conspiracy theorists never cease to amaze me with their lack of logic.
Not that I believe it either but nothing says it works on the premises of true lasers, like the LAWS laser. A good example is sound weaponry. No sound can be more energetic or powerful than the instance that created it. That doesn't me sound can't still be dangerous if used correctly. If the frequency is just right it can create a vibration that can break things apart based on a kind of pendulum effect. Like pushing a swing. They used sound based weaponry in Vietnam that targeted water molecules in people. Another neat application of lasers is cooling, which works with a similar pendulum effect. I'm just saying it's possible to use directed energy weapons that don't require near impossible amounts of energy but maybe I've got my tin foil hat on too tight now lol!!

mcz117chief

Looks like the story of EDF 5 might come true: Humans find out about aliens so they start building up and creating super weapons, aliens notice and begin their invasion prematurely knowing their cover is blown.

bender

What time is it?
It's a legit space weapon, and much simpler. It's also more energy efficient (not in a 'save the planet' kind of way, but in terms of moving energy to space that you then want to deliver to a specific spot on Earth)

Don't harsh my moon rocks joke, bub.

Space weapons have a larger security risk as it's harder to make them closed systems.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Yeah, energy weapons, let's just throw that onto the pile of mad shit that just became publicly known fact this year along with aliens and the paedophile illuminati.

So the obvious next question is what religion will be proven to be true this year, that no one will give a shit about?
The one with lots of sex

Military Tech is always 20-30 years ahead of what we have in our society, they could probably blast me to ash from 5000 miles away with the kind of stuff they have that we dont know about

Flintty

Military Tech is always 20-30 years ahead of what we have in our society, they could probably blast me to ash from 5000 miles away with the kind of stuff they have that we dont know about

Yeah I bet they’ve got some awesome toys.

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
Picking drones out of the air with frickin' lasers: sure, the military has openly acknowledged that capability. Goldeneye-style space-to-ground energy weapons? I'm pretty skeptical that anyone has those yet.

I wish the Secretary of Defense had been a lot more specific about this. Satellites firing on each other (if only to disrupt, not destroy) I can well believe.

Last edited:

TrainedRage

Banned
I was considering making a thread but figured I would ask here....

Have you guys been hearing about something big happening in late October into early November?

I have been hearing talk of something all over the place from 4chan /x/ to podcasts to YouTube videos to predictions back from 2012. That some big event is going to happen. Probably in San Francisco, LA or NY. Not sure what exactly but things have been seeming to be ramping up to a big event. And no not just the election.

I’m talking like HUGE natural disaster or some war starting shit.

Anyone else hearing this or am I just getting some confirmation bias?

TrainedRage

Banned
Neither the easiest thing to schedule.
Just sending out the feelers. Not saying it will be those exactly just something big. Maybe the aliens will finally make themselves known. Or maybe we will move to a global currency or maybe we will see more and more fires and looting.

Just hearing scary shot about the 2012 predictions actually being about 2020 etc. prep for the end of days GAF!!!!

Have you guys been hearing about something big happening in late October into early November?

I have been hearing talk of something all over the place from 4chan /x/ to podcasts to YouTube videos to predictions back from 2012. That some big event is going to happen. Probably in San Francisco, LA or NY. Not sure what exactly but things have been seeming to be ramping up to a big event. And no not just the election.

No.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
How much of a difference of war in space will make? I have no idea about satellites on paper space warfare sounds awesome

Thaedolus

How much of a difference of war in space will make? I have no idea about satellites on paper space warfare sounds awesome

Oh yes, wasting trillions of dollars which could be spent on constructive problem solving but instead on destruction sounds super awesome. Especially turning LEO into a graveyard filled with hypersonic debris which act like little kinetic missiles destroying anything we want up there...

Sounds great! Sign me up for the space force hoo rah!

makaveli60

Oh yes, wasting trillions of dollars which could be spent on constructive problem solving but instead on destruction sounds super awesome. Especially turning LEO into a graveyard filled with hypersonic debris which act like little kinetic missiles destroying anything we want up there...

Sounds great! Sign me up for the space force hoo rah!
I honestly don't want to insult or anything but that guy seems like a chatbot or something. He writes such strange things everywhere randomly that it really makes me wonder if that is a human being.

So basically a big heated laser. Not really new, I guess they have been slowly refining it. Could lead the way for highly accurate weapons with minimal collateral damage

V4skunk

Banned
Picking drones out of the air with frickin' lasers: sure, the military has openly acknowledged that capability. Goldeneye-style space-to-ground energy weapons? I'm pretty skeptical that anyone has those yet.

I wish the Secretary of Defense had been a lot more specific about this. Satellites firing on each other (if only to disrupt, not destroy) I can well believe.
Lasers can destroy ground vehicles and aircraft you clown.
Tech is way beyond what you think there is because you are brainwashed by the tv.

iconmaster

Banned
Lasers can destroy ground vehicles and aircraft you clown.
Tech is way beyond what you think there is because you are brainwashed by the tv.

I don't see how my comment should have so thoroughly gotten your goat. You're assuming a lot about my media consumption habits.

All I meant was, we wouldn't have to speculate so much if we had some more specifics. Maybe those are classified, but then it might have been better not to bring it up.

There was a meme of the 2020 calendar and it has solar flares and alien invasion. I read somewhere about a possible Alien hoax.

Can you share some links?

Aside from that, this energy weapons and war space stuff sounds like we’re getting close to something akin to the events of Drakengar/Nier/NieR Automata.

TrainedRage

Banned
There was a meme of the 2020 calendar and it has solar flares and alien invasion. I read somewhere about a possible Alien hoax.

Can you share some links?

Aside from that, this energy weapons and war space stuff sounds like we’re getting close to something akin to the events of Drakengar/Nier/NieR Automata.
Yeah, I’m “working” but I will try and find some links. Mostly it’s been on forums and videos. But even going back like 5 years people were saying (based on astrology) fall 2020 is going to be a time of chaos and radical change.

johntown

Banned
100.webp

Top Bottom