• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES vs Genesis: who got the better Castlevania & Contra?

Which versions of the Konami classics did you prefer?

• Total voters

Ceadeus

Gold Member
You remind me that I never played bloodlines !

My father never bought a Sega for home so I only knew the Nintendo stuff.

My backlog is giant but I definitely should play Bloodlines for my own good lol

Sintoid

Super Castlevania IV was so easy I finished it the same day I bought it and the whip mechanics were really bad
Contra III is still my favorite Contra

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Both of those Contras were fantastic. I have a special fondness for Hard Corps since I owned that one. I played 3 at a cousin's house a lot. I can't decide!

Both consoles got incredible entries in each series, but SNES edges it because of gameplay variety. The Mode 7 tricks and music of both Super and Contra III beats out Mega Drive's duo.
When I hear CVIV's version of Simon's Theme or Vampire Killer, I know something is about to kick off. The 8-way whip and grappling sets the gameplay apart from Bloodlines.
As for Contra/Probotector, the overhead levels and spectacle of the bosses, and the visual style, are just better than Mega Drive's limited colour palette. Though i do think MD's Yamaha chip makes more suitable music for Contra, the sheer scale of Contra III with the accompanying music edges it.

Mitsurux

All 4 of the games are really great, and show just how good a developer Konami was during the 16-bit gen.
But i had to give the nod to Super Castlevania IV and Contral III.
It basically just comse down to nitpicks.

Both consoles got incredible entries in each series, but SNES edges it because of gameplay variety. The Mode 7 tricks and music of both Super and Contra III beats out Mega Drive's duo.
When I hear CVIV's version of Simon's Theme or Vampire Killer, I know something is about to kick off. The 8-way whip and grappling sets the gameplay apart from Bloodlines.
As for Contra/Probotector, the overhead levels and spectacle of the bosses, and the visual style, are just better than Mega Drive's limited colour palette. Though i do think MD's Yamaha chip makes more suitable music for Contra, the sheer scale of Contra III with the accompanying music edges it.
Mode 7 scaling looked horrid even back in the day. Some racing titles on the NES had better scaling transitions. Also, while it did not always work, when the soundtrack of a game had the synth direction it would always sound better on Genesis. But in that generation Sega CD sound quality was unrivaled.

tkscz

This is a tough one when it comes to the Contras. Alien Wars has the better use of the classic weapons plus additional new weapons, Hard Corp's weapons aren't bad, just not as good. Hard Corp's level progression is better with it allowing the player to chose paths with different bosses and endings, while Alien Wars is more straight forward. Alien Wars has the better level design with more variety in the levels themselves though. If I had to choose one, Alien Wars is the better but not by much, both are excellent Contra games.

Castlevania IV however just out right beats Bloodlines. Just better level design all around with a more fun use of the vampire killer.

Mode 7 scaling looked horrid even back in the day. Some racing titles on the NES had better scaling transitions. Also, while it did not always work, when the soundtrack of a game had the synth direction it would always sound better on Genesis. But in that generation Sega CD sound quality was unrivaled.
We aren't talking about Sega CD, though.
And Mode 7 was spectacular *for it's time*.
In the case of THESE TWO GAMES, and most cartridge-based titles, Super Nintendo music was better. There are exceptions, like the Sonic games and Thunder Force IV.

cireza

and most cartridge-based titles, Super Nintendo music was better. There are exceptions, like the Sonic games and Thunder Force IV.
Meh. This is largely debatable and certainly not some kind of absolute truth. SNES and MD music sounded very different, so personal preferences quickly come into place.

Castlevania IV had an excellent, atmospheric soundtrack. Stating that it was better than Bloodlines is a personal preference, as Bloodlines has en excellent soundtrack as well, in a different style though.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
We aren't talking about Sega CD, though.
And Mode 7 was spectacular *for it's time*.
In the case of THESE TWO GAMES, and most cartridge-based titles, Super Nintendo music was better. There are exceptions, like the Sonic games and Thunder Force IV.
I agree. Though Genesis games could sound great too (Streets of Rage and Shinobi sounded great too), SNES audio was just overall better. It had better voice (Genesis often scratchy) and the audio chip seemed to do orchestra/brass kinds of music which was incredible for that era of gaming whether it was console or PC.

Davevil

Castlevania_Dracula_X_cover_art.png

contra-3-snes_exx7.jpg

Variahunter

I would say SNES audio was better for sound effects and easier (not necessarily better) for music.
Try to do a flute sound on the Genesis…

Genesis is good for bombastic soundtracks, electronic sounds, and synth music, which is why it’s doing ok with Castlevania which uses lots of synth to build atmospheric tracks.

But you’ll never get the flute used in the ending of Super Castlevania 4, or the soundtrack from Actraiser 2. Don’t be delusional. As soon as a soundtrack brings classic instrument, the Genesis struggles a lot.

So yeah, SNES does have muffled sound, but the variety and possibilities are limitless compared to Genesis, let’s be real here.

For example, Gauntlet IV has a great OST (from Yuzo of course), but again, the nature of the sounds can become irritating after a while, and you don’t get the variety and beauty offered by samples.

To resume, SNES audio is much better.

Last edited:

tkscz

I would say SNES audio was better for sound effects and easier (not necessarily better) for music.
Good lord you have that backwards lol.

The SNES could produce better sounds because it was a sample machine. It could sample more realistic sounding instruments (or as close as one could get all considering) however it was an absolute pain to do it. You had to record every note onto the cart, and I mean EVERY note, not line of music, but each and every single little note one at a time. Then you actually had to program the music by ordering the notes and pitches using code. This way the sound files could be compressed by the SNES's sound memory and not take too much space up. Because of this, things like active pitch changing and fading weren't possible on the SNES, if you wanted the sound pitch to slowly go up or fade in/out, you had to record each note of that as separate notes and put them back together. Look up how David Wise did the music of the DKC games and all the things he had to create just to get it.

Whether or not you think the music on Genesis or SNES sounds better is up to you, but it was much easier to use a keyboard on the Genesis than it was to program sound samples on the SNES.

Needlecrash

Damn I didn’t even realize there was a difference. US version was hard as balls, that explains why.
In those days, Western versions of video games back then were artificially harder to combat the home ownership market. Japanese developers didn't want their overseas audience to just beat the game in a weekend and never play it again. So, they intentionally made shit harder for us over here. Hence, why you got Hit Points in Contra: The Hard Corps in Japan, but One Hit kills in Contra: Hard Corps in the U.S. Same thing with Castlevania; the amount you health you lose gradually increases as you come closer to finishing the game in the Japanese versions; whereas you lost 4 points of health regardless of how you got hit in the Western versions.

In Japan, renting games were prohibited by law. But, not in the U.S.

Last edited:

RetroAV

Try to do a flute sound on the Genesis…

Genesis is good for bombastic soundtracks, electronic sounds, and synth music, which is why it’s doing ok with Castlevania which uses lots of synth to build atmospheric tracks.

But you’ll never get the flute used in the ending of Super Castlevania 4, or the soundtrack from Actraiser 2. Don’t be delusional. As soon as a soundtrack brings classic instrument, the Genesis struggles a lot.

So yeah, SNES does have muffled sound, but the variety and possibilities are limitless compared to Genesis, let’s be real here.

For example, Gauntlet IV has a great OST (from Yuzo of course), but again, the nature of the sounds can become irritating after a while, and you don’t get the variety and beauty offered by samples.

Yeah, they both have their strengths. It doesn't make one better than the other unless you're talking about specifics. And no, Yuzo was not the composer for Gauntlet IV.
Good lord you have that backwards lol.

The SNES could produce better sounds because it was a sample machine. It could sample more realistic sounding instruments (or as close as one could get all considering) however it was an absolute pain to do it. You had to record every note onto the cart, and I mean EVERY note, not line of music, but each and every single little note one at a time. Then you actually had to program the music by ordering the notes and pitches using code. This way the sound files could be compressed by the SNES's sound memory and not take too much space up. Because of this, things like active pitch changing and fading weren't possible on the SNES, if you wanted the sound pitch to slowly go up or fade in/out, you had to record each note of that as separate notes and put them back together. Look up how David Wise did the music of the DKC games and all the things he had to create just to get it.

Whether or not you think the music on Genesis or SNES sounds better is up to you, but it was much easier to use a keyboard on the Genesis than it was to program sound samples on the SNES.

I thought it was obvious what I meant by "easier", but I guess not. When I say the SNES was "easier" than the Genesis I mean in terms of getting a specific sound.

I understand the ambitions of SC4, but I liked the arcadey feeling of Bloodlines. Going from Bloodlines to Rondo of Blood felt more natural.

Both Contra games are great. I guess the biggest edge Hard Corps has over 3 is the amount of multiple endings and replayability with branching paths.

WTF at the votes?

Hard Corps completely destroys III.
This is what makes me think that 'console I grew up with' is taking a priority here for people moreso than the games themselves.

digdug2

As far as I'm concerned, Genesis got the better versions of both Castlevania and Contra. Plus, Genesis got Rocket Knight Adventures and the better version of Sparkster (IMO).

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
WTF at the votes?

Hard Corps completely destroys III.

Democracy was a mistake.
Dude I’m sayin. I feel like the people who voted for III must not have ever played Hard Corps. I only played it for the first time last year and it absolutely blew me away. Easily my favorite Contra now.

Crew511A

Dude I’m sayin. I feel like the people who voted for III must not have ever played Hard Corps. I only played it for the first time last year and it absolutely blew me away. Easily my favorite Contra now.

I like challenging games, but c'mon. Some of these later bosses are ridiculous. There was one I think where you had to climb on the ceiling to avoid it and it had like 3 forms? This franchise has always been tough, but good grief. At least give us some useful cheats.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I like challenging games, but c'mon. Some of these later bosses are ridiculous. There was one I think where you had to climb on the ceiling to avoid it and it had like 3 forms? This franchise has always been tough, but good grief. At least give us some useful cheats.
That’s fair. It took me like two weeks before I got through the game. But I don’t think it’s that much harder than something like Mega Man. (Plus I have a lot of experience with Gunstar Heroes, which the game seemed to really imitate.)

But either way, just play with infinite continues with a game genie or emulator or something. It’s a pretty fair game overall, just asshole-difficult sometimes 😂

Last edited:

cireza

Gauntlet IV has a great OST (from Yuzo of course)
Except that it is from Sakimoto.

No, as you stated yourself, it is muffled. It runs at a lower bitrate and suffers heavy compression. You get a wider variety of sounds, but nobody can state that one is better than the other as some kind of absolute truth. It is purely a matter of state.

I largely prefer the sound quality of the MegaDrive, and the fact that it is FM based means that it will never sound "old or low quality" because it is, actually, super high quality. If you are obsessed with classical instruments, sure, SNES is for you. You still get some very good attempts on the MegaDrive (on top of my head).

Flute here (several occurrences in the track) :

Harpsicord :

Organ (after a while, great track, a must listen):

Guitar :

And in any case, you get much more profound sounds, bass, drums and clear melodies on MegaDrive on a regular basis. Everything is super clean.

Last edited:

Variahunter

Yeah, they both have their strengths. It doesn't make one better than the other unless you're talking about specifics. And no, Yuzo was not the composer for Gauntlet IV.

I thought it was obvious what I meant by "easier", but I guess not. When I say the SNES was "easier" than the Genesis I mean in terms of getting a specific sound.
Oh damn I mistook Yuzo for Sakimoto… I don’t know why I made that link. Probably because most of the good soundtracks are from Yuzo on Genesis.

Variahunter

Except that it is from Sakimoto.

No, as you stated yourself, it is muffled. It runs at a lower bitrate and suffers heavy compression. You get a wider variety of sounds, but nobody can state that one is better than the other as some kind of absolute truth. It is purely a matter of state.

I largely prefer the sound quality of the MegaDrive, and the fact that it is FM based means that it will never sound "old or low quality" because it is, actually, super high quality. If you are obsessed with classical instruments, sure, SNES is for you. You still get some very good attempts on the MegaDrive (on top of my head).

Flute here (several occurrences in the track) :

Harpsicord :

Organ (after a while, great track, a must listen):

Guitar :

And in any case, you get much more profound sounds, bass, drums and clear melodies on MegaDrive on a regular basis. Everything is super clean.

Yeah I know for Sakimoto… bad association.

Your flute sound in the SFII ost ? I’m trying to hear it but can’t. Hence what I said. Same about the Guitar, or what you call a guitar in this music…

The only convincing one is the Organ. Because that type of instrument is well reproduced on synth.

You can try as hard as you want to defend your childhood. Doesn’t change that fact that aside of a slightly muffled sound (which nobody ever heard when playing back in the day), the SNES audio is superior in every way.

Last edited:

cireza

You can try as hard as you want to defend your childhood.
I never felt the need to state something as stupid as SNES is better at music than MD as some kind of absolute truth. Who is defending his childhood already ? The guy with a SNES avatar maybe ?

Probably because most of the good soundtracks are from Yuzo on Genesis.
You mistook Koshiro and Sakimoto and state things like this ? Clearly you don't have as much knowledge about the MD as you would like us to believe :)

Koshiro only did a handful of OSTs on MD. This is insulting towards all other awesome composers that worked on the console. I remember a guy I met in real life. Was the greatest SNES fan if you listened to his words. Stated that MegaDrive music was shit except for Sonic, Streets of Rage and Golden Axe. He was incapable of citing other games anyway. What's even more funny is that I actually had much more knowledge than him about the SNES, while not being a fan of this console.

The only convincing one is the Organ. Because that type of instrument is well reproduced on synth.
So wind instruments, like organ and flute, are well reproduced on synth. Gotcha.

Last edited:

Hudo

Mega Drive had the better Contra (Hard Corps)
SNES had the better Castlevania (Super Castlevania 4)

Edit: But if we're getting really down to it then Rondo of Blood on the PC Engine dunks on both the SNES and Mega Drive Castlevanias.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Mega Drive had the better Contra (Hard Corps)
SNES had the better Castlevania (Super Castlevania 4)

Edit: But if we're getting really down to it then Rondo of Blood on the PC Engine dunks on both the SNES and Mega Drive Castlevanias.
Rondo is the definitive Classicvania. It’s just too good. Two characters, branching paths, phenomenal bosses, kickass music, VA, animated cutscenes…

Anyway, CV4 ranks very low on my favorite CV list. It’s slow, unexciting, extremely cheap at times (the goddamn bats trope is in full gear here), the bosses are mostly uninteresting… It’s a great SNES tech showcase and the OST is very unique, but I never enjoyed playing it much. CV3 is vastly superior, and much much harder. I’d also rate Game Boy CV2 above CV4, not to mention Bloodlines and Adventure Rebirth. Just more actiony, engaging games, and way more challenging too.

Hudo

Rondo is the definitive Classicvania. It’s just too good. Two characters, branching paths, phenomenal bosses, kickass music, VA, animated cutscenes…

Anyway, CV4 ranks very low on my favorite CV list. It’s slow, unexciting, extremely cheap at times (the goddamn bats trope is in full gear here), the bosses are mostly uninteresting… It’s a great SNES tech showcase and the OST is very unique, but I never enjoyed playing it much. CV3 is vastly superior, and much much harder. I’d also rate Game Boy CV2 above CV4, not to mention Bloodlines and Adventure Rebirth. Just more actiony, engaging games, and way more challenging too.
Oh yeah, the NES Castlevanias are better than the 16 bit ones, except for Rondo of Blood, which is just the best "classic" Castlevania before Symphony of the Night.

Salz01

Super Castlevania IV to this day is in my top 5 all time favorite games. Blew my mind when I first saw it at the mall when it first came out.

RetroAV

By the time Bloodlines came out (although being the better game IMO), it just wasn't as impactful as Super Castlevania IV was at its release.

Dev1lXYZ

Back in the day I had all of these games. The Genesis games were a bit disappointing to me back then, but were so far away from the SNES games- were appreciated.

Konami messed up Hard Corps US difficulty. It required a mastery that few of us had time for especially because Saturn and PS1 were all over our minds.

I think all of them have aged well, especially if you play the JPN Hard Corps.

Top Bottom