• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES vs Genesis: who got the better Castlevania & Contra?

Which versions of the Konami classics did you prefer?

• Total voters

Variahunter

You have an obsession with flute, do you have one stuck down your ass or what ?
My first post on the flute was just an exemple on an instrument that came up because Castlevania IV was the subject of this topic.
Then, you tried hard to post a lot of example with flute, not me, and without convincing anyone here :messenger_tears_of_joy:
You even posted Nintendo DS tracks of flute music lmao
If there is someone obsessed with proving Genesis can do flute here, it's not me. Get the hint, please.

You are the one who brought up this topic and I was never interested in, nor intended, to prove that classical instruments are better on MD. Because they aren't.
You were never interested in proving anything ?

Then why are you replying to my first post and posting videos that were clearly intended on showing that Genesis could do these classical instruments ? I love the fake neutral tone here.

Those attempts are mediocre at best, hence proving that the SNES audio chip was just better than Genesis.

Robot farts ? Wow, must be the first time I hear about that. Usually when we come to this we reach peak ignorance. Like many, you paint a poor picture of SNES fans.

Yes, a lot of the tracks you posted are robot farts, the fact that you have a hard time accepting it doesn't matter.

Again, it doesn't mean that all ost on Genesis are like that, there's a lot of beautifully done soundtracks on this console, but it's not the majority of the games.

Again, on topic, same music from Super Castlevania IV and Castlevania Bloodlines :

I can understand that there's some charm to those Genesis tracks, but I'll never choose those over the same SNES ones if I only had to choose between the two.
But I'm sure you will still find a convoluted way of saying that Genesis is the best rendition here.
You'll give me and most sane people a good laugh, for sure.

You have an obsession with flute, do you have one stuck down your ass or what ?
At least I'm not listening music with it.

Last edited:

cireza

Those attempts are mediocre at best, hence proving that the SNES audio chip was just better than Genesis.
Except than it isn't true as the bit-rate is lower and FM Synth is by nature uncompressed, unlike SNES where everything is compressed.

As stated before, these few videos I posted were for people to have a listen to some tracks they might have not listened to on MegaDrive, not to prove that the console has more variety than SNES, which it hasn't as I stated already ten times by nature, as it is not a sample based sound processor.

But I'm sure you will still find a convoluted way of saying that Genesis is the best rendition here.
You are having a hard time but you will eventually understand how it is a matter of personal preferences and not a console being better than the other full stop. These Castlevania IV tracks certainly don't make for a great argument in your favor, they sound incredibly quiet and compressed, again. Samples are super short and not particularly pleasing to the ears...

These MD tracks aren't great renditions. They are bonus tracks only available in the sound test of the MegaDrive game. The MegaDrive can do much better than this, with a much fuller sound and better samples for drums. For example :

And here is a track that uses the strengths of the console, for people interested :

Last edited:
Top Bottom