• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smouldering Lake is truly a fucking nightmare (DS3)

TheGejsza

Yo dude, you just experienced the best feeling that Souls games can give - being lost and hopeless. Just some tip - there are hidden walls in DS3 - when you hit them they dissappear and unlock new path. In labirynt you mentioned tgere are a lot of those walls. Some are unlocking very useful paths.

I had the same feeling when I felt into Depths in Ds1 a there were those basilisk that could insta kill you.

But still I think Blighttown is the biggest nightmare in every souls games. And especially on PS3 where I played it originally.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Those enemies that pull the floating fire orbs out of their stomach...fuck them and the undead ninjas.

the more I explore this area the more I feel like I'm being trolled

after killing the dude that had the fume ultra greatsword I noticed items floating on lava. after searching for a way to drain the lava I came to the conclusion that I think they expect me to walk over the lava to get the items. I equip my fire shield and to my surprise the fire reduction allowed me to reach one of the items. I get to the item and pick it up, only to learn that you can't equip your shield for protection after picking up the item. so while it helped me get there, it offered me no protection on the way back so I died before making it back. all for a fucking ember.

there is a second item out there but knowing my luck it's going to be a dung pie
Those enemies that pull the floating fire orbs out of their stomach...fuck them and the undead ninjas.
I did notice that one of those enemies that uses the floating orbs spawns right next to the bonefire. over 1k souls and seems to drop a titanite shard every time I kill it. he's like 4 seconds from the bonfire. it's my new farming place if I quickly need some souls.

Plantoid

I actually use my broadsword and shield of want when farming souls for the bonus it grants, game feels much easier with a shield. Crazy that lots of the shields block 100% physical damage. You can just turtle then attack when there’s an opening. The broadsword I picked up like 1 hour into the game does amazing dmg for me, although I have it at +7

I alternate between the two but with a shield I rarely need to dodge

Yeah I agree, shield makes things easier, and poise DMG even more, when you hit with a ultra 99% of the enemies enter in stunlock and you don't have to block anything cause they're stunned

I wish I could play this game again without knowing anything

Kev Kev

A game for masochists?
Adam Devine Reaction GIF
agreed

Yo dude, you just experienced the best feeling that Souls games can give - being lost and hopeless.
done-im-done.gif

ill never understand

luffie

You are only until Smoldering Lake? Take your time, enjoy everything, it all gets better.

Then you will come back here and make an LTTP: Dark Souls 3 is a masterpiece.

You are only until Smoldering Lake? Take your time, enjoy everything, it all gets better.

Then you will come back here and make an LTTP: Dark Souls 3 is a masterpiece.
I’m at Irithyll Dungeon, there still a lot of game left? Figured I was somewhat close to the end since I’ve put 35 hours in. Didn’t realize the game was so long.

Then again I’ve spent a shit load of time lost and a decent amount invading

I’m at Irithyll Dungeon, there still a lot of game left? Figured I was somewhat close to the end since I’ve put 35 hours in. Didn’t realize the game was so long.

Then again I’ve spent a shit load of time lost and a decent amount invading
It's a long game. Then there's the DLC which is fukken great m8!

But still I think Blighttown is the biggest nightmare in every souls games. And especially on PS3 where I played it originally.
Didn't the Blighttown on PS3 had terrible framerate and wasn't it pitch black?

I played the Remaster on PS5 and I was quite nervous about the infamous part of DS1, but it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it to be. It sucked for sure.

I don't know how y'all have the patience to play Dark Souls.

I decided to boot up Dark Souls 1 a month ago and rage quit after 3 hours after losing all my souls and dying in the process to get them again.
Dark Souls needs time. Time, time and some more time to master. I don't have time to spend sitting at a game for hours a day trying to get gud at one little area then move on. It will take me months, maybe even a full year to finish a game like this without turning to youtube or forums for help.

Have to applaud those who put in the time to figure things out with these games. I'm always blown away by people who are able to master this game to such a level that they take 0 hits throughout an entire playthrough.

luffie

Yeah I don’t think I’ve touched the DLC, not sure how it works. Whether it’s something integrated into the game or whether it’s post game or what. Both DLCs are installed tho.
Don't worry about the dlc man, when you reach the end you will probably know, it's endgame stuffs. And if not, just check the net how to access it.

No need to rush to get there, stay curious.

Accessing DLC in Bloodborne is a bit dumb. You need to kill Vicar Amelia (white wolf priestess) to trigger messengers in the dream giving you a bloodshot eyeball. Then you need to go to a corpse behind a tree holding clothing set to the left of the chapel to be grabbed by a lesser amygdala (invisible creature without high insight with the exception of purple vortex effect). That will take you to the hunter's nightmare.

P.S. Marsh of Sorrow (Demon Souls) and Tomb of the Giants (Dark Souls) are my least favorite FromSoftware levels. The marsh causes the character to be unable to roll or move quickly and has unavoidable poison. The tomb is pitch black with strong and aggressive enemies and all acquirable light sources having very limited range.

Last edited:
If you are referring to Dark Souls 3 DLC, the Ashes of Ariandel is triggered by speaking to NPC at first bonfire at Cleansing Chapel. The Ringed City requires end game access to Kiln of the First Flame or going to the attic of the church after killing Sister Freide in the first DLC and speaking to NPCs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom