• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smouldering Lake is truly a fucking nightmare (DS3)

I've been chugging along in DS3, game hasn't been easy but I've been managing alright given that this is pretty much my first Souls game

stumbled on this area called Smouldering Lake, thought oh this will be neat little secret area under a broken bridge

I manage to defeat the fire demon at the entrance leading to the main area. feeling pretty good about myself and confident about the challenge that lays before me, I reach the lake...

what a fucking hellhole

I enter the area only to get smacked by god knows what (I later find out there's a giant ballista tucked away in the corner of the map I would need to deactivate). I frantically try to run to safety and I bump into a giant fucking sandworm that looks like its straight out of Dune

after dying too many times to count I somehow manage to cheese the sandworm and use the ballista to kill it

see boss fog so I'm like nope, decide to go explore the ruins beneath the lake instead. I get sooo fucking lost, no idea where I'm going. after spending literally hours exploring some next level awful labyrinth that only seems to go deeper and deeper filled with annoying fucks that are constantly poisoning you, swarms of skeletons that come alive after you kill them, giant demon things that have like fireball summons I see a ladder guarded by yet another black knight. I climb the ladder and learn that this entire multiple hour journey was just to turn the ballista off. seems sorta pointless now that I've explored most the area but whatever at least I don't have to worry about the ballista anymore. I'm out of estus and low on health, I go to turn it off only to get killed while in the process by some leaping goatman fuck. so now I’m dead and the ballista is still up and running.

I decide I'm not willing to go through that maze again so I try to run directly at the ballista hoping I can find a shortcut back to the area I was just at. fucking giant crabs EVERYWHERE. and I'm getting smacked by the ballista.

at least I got a bunch of titanite shards. going to try to kill the boss and probably never return this forsaken place again. I've been taking my time with the game trying to explore every nook and cranny but seriously fuck this place. I'm not using any guides for this play through so it's very possible I just went about this area in the stupidest possible way but FUCK smouldering lake. is this what the rest of the game is going to feel like? I appreciate a good difficulty spike but this was just torture.

Edit: ended up going back, worth it

AD6-E17-FE-84-EE-41-B6-84-AD-1-E98-CB20-B4-A4.png

Last edited:

kyussman

Ha,I think the issue is probably that it's your first souls game.People that played the the games in order would have already experienced untold horror areas in those games that it wouldn't be that big of an issue.It's not your fault of course.....I enjoyed the level a lot and didn't find it that frustrating tbh,but I had played Dark Souls and Bloodborne before.Keep at it,lots of great stuff ahead of you if you can power through!

Airbus Jr

Banned
Cant remember anything about that place now

Is it the one who have 2 balrog final bosses at final stage

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned
It’s an optional area, you don’t need to go there and usually you do this part when you are around the end game :).

Try going back to the previous area and look for another exit.
That's such a classic Dark Souls move. You drive yourself crazy getting through an area then you learn that it was optional.

Soodanim

When you decide to play it again one day. You’ll realise that the maze of tunnels isn’t big, the ballista is consistently timed so you can roll, and the sandworm can just be ran around and you can bait the ballista missiles into the sandworm. Crabs are probably the most annoying thing down there

Smouldering Lake is probably the most randomly thrown together, pointless area in the entire game. I don't see any reason to go down there, unless you're looking for some high end pyromancies.

Ogbert

How far into the game are you?

Just turnaround.DS is good at telling you when you belong somewhere and when you don’t.

Last edited:

skit_data

Did u use the mimic to defeat the demon? ”Let’s get ready to rumbleee!” *ding ding ding*

Yeah, the rest of the area kinda sucks. The ballista feels out of place and it’s just a wierd mix of throwbacks to Demon Ruins and Ash Lake that doesn’t really make sense.

Threads like these always make me laugh. The OP could write a whole page essay to express his frustration, but couldn’t write “Dark Souls 3” to avoid my frustration in finding out what the hell he’s talking about!

TrueLegend

We know you have played two games in this series and have beaten a couple of bosses in this game too but on the tiny chance that somebody had not wished you 'welcome to dark souls'
- random npc in smouldering lake

ymoc

I dislike this area because it's really sprawled and twisted a bit too much. When you invade it's such a pain to find where the host is 9/10 times. But otherwise it's just an average place, but easily the worst in the game.

Soodanim

Did u use the mimic to defeat the demon? ”Let’s get ready to rumbleee!” *ding ding ding*

Yeah, the rest of the area kinda sucks. The ballista feels out of place and it’s just a wierd mix of throwbacks to Demon Ruins and Ash Lake that doesn’t really make sense.
Making enemies fight is a rare treat in that game, but between that and the Black Knight that you can lure to fight the demons, it’s a double treat in that area of the game. Shame there isn’t more of it

skit_data

Making enemies fight is a rare treat in that game, but between that and the Black Knight that you can lure to fight the demons, it’s a double treat in that area of the game. Shame there isn’t more of it
Ah, yes the Black Knight too!

I just find it so comical to see the mimic beat the shit out of the demon, I don’t think I’ve ever seen it lose the fight despite being so much smaller.

I don't know how y'all have the patience to play Dark Souls.

I decided to boot up Dark Souls 1 a month ago and rage quit after 3 hours after losing all my souls and dying in the process to get them again.
That's how Souls goes for everyone. Go back in a week and it will end up being one of your favorite games ever.

Kabelly

It’s an optional area, you don’t need to go there and usually you do this part when you are around the end game :).

Try going back to the previous area and look for another exit.
This was optional? lmao i didn't know how to beat big skull dude at first and went this way instead lol. OP seemed to take a less optimal route though through the big worm instead of the big hole in the ground the other direction.

draliko

That's how Souls goes for everyone. Go back in a week and it will end up being one of your favorite games ever.
this is so true... after your first real rage quit something happens, after some days you feel the urge to get back playing and when it finally clicks.... it's pure awesomeness

Last edited:
How far into the game are you?

Just turnaround.DS is good at telling you when you belong somewhere and when you don’t.
Irithyll of the Boreal Valley

The old demon king? Took multiple attempts but I ended up using the arbalest crossbow and fire protection shield in off hand. 99 arrows later he was down to about 10% health. Finished him off with my broadsword

I was getting wrecked trying to melee him but noticed he moves very slow so I just kited him for the majority of the fight

This was optional? lmao i didn't know how to beat big skull dude at first and went this way instead lol. OP seemed to take a less optimal route though through the big worm instead of the big hole in the ground the other direction.
I had no idea there was a hole in the ground. Let me guess it’s by the fucking crabs?

Last edited:
I kind of like that it feels like a hole that all the random, left over crap was thrown into. Both in the context of the game and the development.

Smouldering Lake ain't so bad, the Demon Ruins can be a real kick in the nuts though.
It's a billion times better than Lost Izalith.
Ironically, Smouldering Lake is an analogue to Lost Izalith, which was also a dumping ground of unfinished ideas. That being said, it looks like it's consistent with the lore where demons are spawned from the Chaos Soul created by the Witch of Izalith.

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned
Ironically, Smouldering Lake is an analogue to Lost Izalith, which was also a dumping ground of unfinished ideas. That being said, it looks like it's consistent with the lore where demons are spawned from the Chaos Soul created by the Witch of Izalith.
That's why From is great. Even when they're being lazy they're putting in some work

skit_data

The old demon king?
Nah, the fire demon in the first room you enter after going down the ”fallen bridge ladder” just before you enter the actual area. There’s a chest mimic above the area where that demon fights skeletons. If you shoot an arrow on it, it will agro the demon and its a quite spectacular fight. I think it drops a Black Blade if I remember correctly.

Last edited:
Nah, the fire demon in the first room you enter after going down the ”fallen bridge ladder” just before you enter the actual area. There’s a chest mimic above the area where that demon fights skeletons. If you shoot an arrow on it, it will agro the demon and its a quite spectacular fight. I think it drops a Black Blade if I remember correctly.
Oh had no idea

I just beat the shit out of him with my Vordts great hammer. It’s great for big guys like that cuz the frostbite fucked him up. Not sure if it did extra damage since it does cold and he’s fire but I think 3 hits would make him stagger

I love that weapon, just really hard to get upgrade materials

well that was a bitch to find but finally found it

AD6-E17-FE-84-EE-41-B6-84-AD-1-E98-CB20-B4-A4.png

enemy wielding it was sorta nasty, killed me the first time but I got him round 2

no matter how much this game frustrates I keep coming back. It’s crazy I’ll get pissed and decide to take a break for a few days, only to find myself hopping back on 30 mins later

Last edited:

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
I don't know how y'all have the patience to play Dark Souls.

I decided to boot up Dark Souls 1 a month ago and rage quit after 3 hours after losing all my souls and dying in the process to get them again.
One thing that I tell friends is: don't feel about about losing whatever amount of souls because later you'll be getting more for just a couple of enemies and it will take 100 times whatever you just lost to even go up a level.

How to beat ds3

Go pure strength and equip any ultra, two hand it, win
I actually use my broadsword and shield of want when farming souls for the bonus it grants, game feels much easier with a shield. Crazy that lots of the shields block 100% physical damage. You can just turtle then attack when there’s an opening. The broadsword I picked up like 1 hour into the game does amazing dmg for me, although I have it at +7

I alternate between the two but with a shield I rarely need to dodge

hlm666

No one has complained about being invaded here with the cowards sitting on the lake so the ballista could help them? It's one of the few areas I just stay hollow because the invaders that invade there are all just pathetic. It's the only place and time i've ever setup a gank squad. It's amusing how many nope out once they realise the ballista is off even before they see the 3 summons waiting for the gank.

Top Bottom