• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

FoeHammer

Will Amazon has this available for pre sell like KMart as soon as it is announced? I'm sure they will, but I'm ready to grab one if the 299 is true.

hypetrain.gif

This thread.

Already have had 5 friends tell me they're biting. Lot of money to be spent this holiday on Sony goods.

leehom

How many of you own a PS3 fat plan on purchasing the PS3 slim at $299?

*raises hand*

How many pre-existing owners do you think will purchase a slim?

A few million at least?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Guys, you shouldn't act like this price is some stupidly low figure now. From the perspective of some kid who wants to buy a console, three years after its launch PS3 costs as much as PS2 cost at its launch. And for some people back then too that was a high price that they waited to become lower.

Crisis

Banned
leehom said:

*raises hand*

A few million at least?

I'm going to wait and reserve judgment.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
leehom said:

*raises hand*

A few million at least?

o/

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
leehom said:

*raises hand*

A few million at least?

What?

Lord Error said:
Guys, you shouldn't act like this price is some stupidly low figure now. From the perspective of some kid who wants to buy a console, three years after its launch PS3 costs as much as PS2 cost at its launch. And for some people back then too that was a high price that they waited to become lower.

I don't see time as that much of a factor. Everyone is saying this gen will be lasting longer and the PS3 now has an insane amount of games worth buying over the launch PS2.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
demosthenes said:
Isn't the minimum wage much higher in AUS?

Maybe, i dunno, doesnt change the fact we get bent over the barrel.

leehom said:

*raises hand*

A few million at least?

I'd actually wait till my launch PS3 was on the way out or the prices was Aud $199, i paid $1000 for my PS3 at launch here so i will wait.

jmdajr

leehom said:

*raises hand*

A few million at least?

I dont have any reason to get the slim. I'm happy with my 599 launch unit.

Yazuka

leehom said:

*raises hand*

A few million at least?
I'll be getting one.

Drame

leehom said:

*raises hand*

A few million at least?

o/

I just like shiny new hardware :).

leehom said:

*raises hand*

A few million at least?

If my 60 gig was still working I wouldn't bite at the Slim but if it is coming out soon I may forgo a repair and just grab the new hotness.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
$299.99 is a GREAT price for PS3/Blu-ray player with free online gaming, 120GB hard drive, and a wireless adapter built-in. Anyone who says the PS3 is still too expensive with all that gear included in one box is insane IMO.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
demosthenes said:
I don't see time as that much of a factor. Everyone is saying this gen will be lasting longer and the PS3 now has an insane amount of games worth buying over the launch PS2.
That is of course completely true, and I think the PS3 now at $300 will be a 1000x better purchase than PS2 was at its launch. But there are other factors that go into purchasing decisions, competition and blind hype among others. PS3 has a lot more of the first compared to PS2, and less of later.

DenogginizerOS said:
$299.99 is a GREAT price for PS3/Blu-ray player with free online gaming, 120GB hard drive, and a wireless adapter built-in. Anyone who says the PS3 is still too expensive with all that gear included in one box is insane IMO.
I agree, for the hardware and software you can now get for it, it's ridiculously cheap. I just wish the consoles didn't still have some of the stigma of being supposed to be super-cheap crappy plastic boxes. What's the story behind your tag btw?

Quasar

kever0nicas said:
$299USD is great.

$299USD = $365AUD.

But we Aussies all know that we'll all have to pay $500+:D

We sadly get saddled with our Sony pricing being based on the Europricing, not the US pricing. Which is why I got an import PS3 in the first place.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
DenogginizerOS said:

Put this in the form of a spreadsheet or no sale.

DenogginizerOS said:
looks like someone is forgetting the cost of a $3 HDMI cable

DrEvil

not a medical professional
I have my 60GB phat that plays PS2 and PS1 games;

if the slim can do the same, then maybe; but until then, I love my phatty.

noah111

Still Alive
leehom said:
I still have a fully functional 60GB launch unit, with 320GB internal HDD.. I back it up onto an external 500GB monthly, so if this unit ever finally breaks down (probably will) i'll jump onto the slim.. by then the price might be even cheaper. What im wondering though, if the slim doesn't have an interchangable HDD, then im pretty much screwed as I doubt Sony will launch a 320GB PS3 model.

Since Sony hasn't confirmed its existence, do we know if the system will be gimped at all? I'd love to pick up a slim PS3 for 300 but not if they take out the wifi and pop in a 20 gig hd.

Very exciting day though, I have a stack of 25 blu rays that I have yet to open, :D soon Matrix Trilogy...soon

Sentry said:
I still have a fully functional 60GB launch unit, with 320GB internal HDD.. I back it up onto an external 500GB monthly, so if this unit ever finally breaks down (probably will) i'll jump onto the slim.. by then the price might be even cheaper. What im wondering though, if the slim doesn't have an interchangable HDD, then im pretty much screwed as I doubt Sony will launch a 320GB PS3 model.

This is a pretty big deal for me as well. My 60GB is already dead and I have my data backed on to an HDD. If I can't switch on the HDD in the slim I will buy a phatty or just get my 60 gig finally repaired.

zero2000

Banned
mikeybwright said:
Since Sony hasn't confirmed its existence, do we know if the system will be gimped at all? I'd love to pick up a slim PS3 for 300 but not if they take out the wifi and pop in a 20 gig hd.

Very exciting day though, I have a stack of 25 blu rays that I have yet to open, :D soon Matrix Trilogy...soon

I don't think they would take out Wifi. It is one of their big advantages over the 360 (for some people). The only thing they took out on later models of the PS3 was stuff like the card readers and a few USB slots (and obviously BC).

I don't expect them to take out something big like Wifi.

agaru

I have a 60 gig that works just fine, but I might be getting a slim sometime this year for my bro, and who knows, maybe if the slim is too hot to resist I'll trade it in with my launch unit. :D

Doc Evils said:
Kaz right now:

wlrmms.gif
Perfect post.

not that i think people need to really tell us at which price they will buy a PS3, i hope everybody in here realizes that the reason we see sales spikes with each price drop is that people do genuinely wait for various prices.

for me it was $499 and i bit when Gamestop had a deal giving me that price when i traded in a PS2 for a 60gig model.

$299 is going to sell to more people than $399 but if you think people are trolling to say '$199' you're forgetting that the majority of console sales historically come after the price has hit that magic number.

still it's needless in this thread.

Crisis

Banned
mikeybwright said:

The indication so far is that it has a 120GB hard drive. I literally cannot see a scenario in which they cut wifi. It's used for too many things on PS3 in general.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
DenogginizerOS said:

Don't worry, I'm sure there will still be plenty of critics.

Mithos

The pricerange being talked about in many european newschannels (onlien newspapers etc).

Converted to US dollars, $99-$149 for a PS3slim.

This pricerumour comes from a anonymous retailer in France according to the news.

noah111

Still Alive
mikeybwright said:

It isn't gimped, the same exact features as the current model.. what's still in question is if you can still swap out HDDs, and if you can still run an alternate OS (ie linux).. other than that it's the same thing, feature wise.

Dartastic

agaru said:
I have a 60 gig that works just fine, but I might be getting a slim sometime this year for my bro, and who knows, maybe if the slim is too hot to resist I'll trade it in with my launch unit. :D

I feel the same way, but I just wanna know how gimped backwards compatibility is on it. If they manage to make it software based I'm totally fine with going that route and getting rid of my 60 gig, but if not I think I might stick with my launch console.

iceatcs

Just have bit of movie break.

See what I mean. Someone won't happy with $299. Not I mean xbots, I mean they will still see it as not good enough.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Yeah I'm keeping my phat triple. It's BC and has a 500 gig HD. I love new tech and all but it's the same shit in a different toilet.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I would still like to know whether or not the Slim will have an external/internal PSU, if it's external I doubt it's something that we will be told about at the conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom