• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Six Days in Fallujah - Official Gameplay Reveal Trailer (Tactical FPS with Procedurally Generated Mission Spaces)

United States military veteran Sgt. Jason Kyle and the developers at Victura and Highwire Games walk you through the first-ever gameplay video of Six Days in Falljuah, the tactical first-person shooter with procedurally generated mission spaces based on real-life events from 2004's Second Battle for Fallujah in the Iraq War.

So far it looks good. Procedurally generated mission spaces could work well in keeping with a realistic, tense atmosphere, and to add to the replayability.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
LawfulUnselfishAmphiuma-max-1mb.gif

Ellery

Man that dude seriously needs to decrease the mouse sensitivity/CPI/DPI. It is painful to watch

Edit : Might be the game itself that is like that. weird

Last edited:

Stuart360

Hmmmm...procedurally generated towns with what seemingly may be endless storming of random tight scale buildings has soured me on this.
Yeah i never really know why 'procedural generated' is always positioned like its a GOOD thing, it isnt. It just means samey levels, with the same stuff in, just placed differently.
Give me hand crafted levels with interesting stuff to see and visit everytime.

Yeah i never really know why 'procedural generated' is always positioned like its a GOOD thing, it isnt. It just means samey levels, with the same stuff in, just placed differently.
Did you hear what the marine actually said? You never knew what you’re gonna find opening that door because layout of every house was different and that was nerve wracking. It could be family that haven’t evacuated or guy with machine gun. If it was always the same, there wouldn’t be much tension in subsequent walkthroughs, would it? It makes complete sense and it looks good to me. This is not EA or Activision making this game but some unknown dev making their first game. Give them a break.

Last edited:
Always different layouts and enemies in different places is the point though. If you knew when to expect danger, especially on another playthrough, you wouldn't be on your guard all the time and then it would be like any other shooter. It's honestly a pretty cool idea.

Stuart360

Did you hear what the marine actually said? You never knew what you’re gonna find opening that door because layout of every house was different and that was nerve wracking. It could be family that haven’t evacuated or guy with machine gun. If it was always the same, there wouldn’t be much tension in subsequent walkthroughs, would it? It makes complete sense and it looks good to me. This is not EA or Activision making this game but some unknown dev making their first game. Give them a break.
Always different layouts and enemies in different places is the point though. If you knew when to expect danger, especially on another playthrough, you wouldn't be on your guard all the time and then it would be like any other shooter. It's honestly a pretty cool idea.

Guys i was talking more in general, not just this game.
Having different enemy placements etc, yes i can see how that would work in this kind of game.

For example, i watch a Star Citizen streamer, and he likes to fly over and 'explore' the planets, and he's always creaming over how it looks, which it does look great, but the procedural planets are all the same, no matter where you go in the planet, no outposts, no hand crafted ports, no hidden alien temples or artifacts to find etc, its all a big nothing, as it kind of has to be if its procedural generated as they just have a selection of crafted assets and stuff that is placed randonly.

Having different enemy placements etc, yes i can see how that would work in this kind of game.

For example, i watch a Star Citizen streamer, and he likes to fly over and 'explore' the planets, and he's always creaming over how it looks, which it does look great, but the procedural planets are all the same, no matter where you go in the planet, no outposts, no hand crafted ports, no hidden alien temples or artifacts to find etc, its all a big nothing, as it kind of has to be if its procedural generated as they just have a selection of crafted assets and stuff that is placed randonly.
I understand what you mean. Not a fan of it personally but I think it makes all the sense here.

Exoil

They need to give us this on PSVR2 and PCVR! This could really work well with procedurally generated levels as long as they have enough models to mix and match from.

harmny

Banned

Well planets in star citizen are not procedural so you are wrong there.
They are handcrafted by developers assisted by procedural tools but that is pretty common. Todd howard didn't place every tree in skyrim one by one.

Planets in no man's sky are procedural

At the end of the day procedural generation is just a tool with great potential and you can make great (or bad) content with it. Diablo 2 did it 20 years ago.

The problem with star citizen is not the procedural generation. The problem is the way chris roberts designed the game

Last edited:

Ascend

The complaints about it being procedural here are unfounded.

Procedural generation has generally been implemented to fill up the world with content that couldn't be provided if it was done manually (as easily or with the same budget). It is generally used in large worlds or RPGs to give the illusion of a lot of varied content. Usually this ends up with a lot of bloat, repetitiveness and very little substance. You get maybe a pink gun, and then a pink gun with a yellow stripe on it, with slightly higher accuracy but less damage. The differences are generally minute and negligible, and ultimately, players find it shallow, and rightfully so.

For this game, it's different. Even though it is using procedural generation, its purpose is completely different. It's not there to fill up the world with a bunch of slightly different content for the player to collect or observe. It's not about finding a spider with 10 legs on this planet, and a horse with 5 on this other planet as you then go about your day counting legs on other random creatures.
The procedural generation in this case is there to keep the unpredictability (and thus the tension) of encounters. Its function is to let you feel in danger at all times; a simulation of how soldiers would feel in that exact situation. Even if the variations are slight, it would be enough, as long as it keeps you on your toes.

This is the first time that procedural generation has been used to create tension in a game, rather than to try and make games large and with a lot of content. And in a way, it's the most creative use of it that we've seen yet.

It's unfair to the game and the developers to fault this game for what other games did wrong. Can this game end up badly or falling flat on its face? Of course. But I am willing to give them a fair chance on this. This is unlike anything that has ever been released, and we need more games that are created out of passion rather than out of greed.

Renozokii

Why? Seems like a perfect way to keep gameplay fresh, since you never know what you're going to encounter.

Seems pretty fucking smart, actually.
Slow generic shooting is better by not even having tight, well designed combat encounters? Is that a joke? This game looks like literal garbage.

Renozokii

The complaints about it being procedural here are unfounded.

Procedural generation has generally been implemented to fill up the world with content that couldn't be provided if it was done manually (as easily or with the same budget). It is generally used in large worlds or RPGs to give the illusion of a lot of varied content. Usually this ends up with a lot of bloat, repetitiveness and very little substance. You get maybe a pink gun, and then a pink gun with a yellow stripe on it, with slightly higher accuracy but less damage. The differences are generally minute and negligible, and ultimately, players find it shallow, and rightfully so.

For this game, it's different. Even though it is using procedural generation, its purpose is completely different. It's not there to fill up the world with a bunch of slightly different content for the player to collect or observe. It's not about finding a spider with 10 legs on this planet, and a horse with 5 on this other planet as you then go about your day counting legs on other random creatures.
The procedural generation in this case is there to keep the unpredictability (and thus the tension) of encounters. Its function is to let you feel in danger at all times; a simulation of how soldiers would feel in that exact situation. Even if the variations are slight, it would be enough, as long as it keeps you on your toes.

This is the first time that procedural generation has been used to create tension in a game, rather than to try and make games large and with a lot of content. And in a way, it's the most creative use of it that we've seen yet.

It's unfair to the game and the developers to fault this game for what other games did wrong. Can this game end up badly or falling flat on its face? Of course. But I am willing to give them a fair chance on this. This is unlike anything that has ever been released, and we need more games that are created out of passion rather than out of greed.
What’s with the defense force for this game?

>Procedural generation has generally been implemented to fill up the world with content that couldn't be provided if it was done manually (as easily or with the same budget).

And here it’s being used in what’s supposed to be a tactical, realistic shooter to water it down and take the intensity out of combat enga

>It is generally used in large worlds or RPGs to give the illusion of a lot of varied content. Usually this ends up with a lot of bloat, repetitiveness and very little substance. You get maybe a pink gun, and then a pink gun with a yellow stripe on it, with slightly higher accuracy but less damage. The differences are generally minute and negligible, and ultimately, players find it shallow, and rightfully so.

and that’s fine by infinitely more talented studios with far more experience and funding. But these guys will definitely nail it!

>For this game, it's different. Even though it is using procedural generation, its purpose is completely different. It's not there to fill up the world with a bunch of slightly different content for the player to collect or observe. It's not about finding a spider with 10 legs on this planet, and a horse with 5 on this other planet as you then go about your day counting legs on other random creatures.

It’s odd for them to base their core gameplay around the idea that people are going to be replaying this game enough that they are going to memorize all the combat scenarios lmao. Could be a toggle and the frat play through could be hand crafted to you know, actually be good.

>This is the first time that procedural generation has been used to create tension in a game, rather than to try and make games large and with a lot of content. And in a way, it's the most creative use of it that we've seen yet.

Yea wonder what these guys bringing about a decade old game in a generic looking FPS shell have figured out that better more competent devs haven’t.

>It's unfair to the game and the developers to fault this game for what other games did wrong. Can this game end up badly or falling flat on its face? Of course. But I am willing to give them a fair chance on this. This is unlike anything that has ever been released, and we need more games that are created out of passion rather than out of greed.

They haven’t released the game yet and they have a weird dedicated support team here. Why? Y’all just latch on to anything you perceive as anti sjw? This game looks ok for at best a single play through. How many times are you going to go through the same environment shooting a gun slowly just because sometimes enemies will be on the left vs the right?

Barakov

Gold Member
"Procedurally Generated Mission Spaces"
confused tony goldwyn GIF by HULU

Not sure about the mission spaces thing but I love the lighting and tense atmosphere. I really have a thing for a tactical FPS with some jank.

Why? Seems like a perfect way to keep gameplay fresh, since you never know what you're going to encounter.

Seems pretty fucking smart, actually.
Exactly.

Gives developers time to focus their efforts on other aspects of the game world instead of hand crafting everything which I'm assuming takes heaps of time to do and do well.

Procedurally generated maps is awesome. Never replay the same scene over and over. I wish this makes it into looter shooter games like The Division. Lord knows I want to barf running through District Union Arena for the millionth time seeing the same fucking shit.

Deanington

>Procedural generation has generally been implemented to fill up the world with content that couldn't be provided if it was done manually (as easily or with the same budget).

And here it’s being used in what’s supposed to be a tactical, realistic shooter to water it down and take the intensity out of combat enga

>It is generally used in large worlds or RPGs to give the illusion of a lot of varied content. Usually this ends up with a lot of bloat, repetitiveness and very little substance. You get maybe a pink gun, and then a pink gun with a yellow stripe on it, with slightly higher accuracy but less damage. The differences are generally minute and negligible, and ultimately, players find it shallow, and rightfully so.

and that’s fine by infinitely more talented studios with far more experience and funding. But these guys will definitely nail it!

>For this game, it's different. Even though it is using procedural generation, its purpose is completely different. It's not there to fill up the world with a bunch of slightly different content for the player to collect or observe. It's not about finding a spider with 10 legs on this planet, and a horse with 5 on this other planet as you then go about your day counting legs on other random creatures.

It’s odd for them to base their core gameplay around the idea that people are going to be replaying this game enough that they are going to memorize all the combat scenarios lmao. Could be a toggle and the frat play through could be hand crafted to you know, actually be good.

>This is the first time that procedural generation has been used to create tension in a game, rather than to try and make games large and with a lot of content. And in a way, it's the most creative use of it that we've seen yet.

Yea wonder what these guys bringing about a decade old game in a generic looking FPS shell have figured out that better more competent devs haven’t.

>It's unfair to the game and the developers to fault this game for what other games did wrong. Can this game end up badly or falling flat on its face? Of course. But I am willing to give them a fair chance on this. This is unlike anything that has ever been released, and we need more games that are created out of passion rather than out of greed.

They haven’t released the game yet and they have a weird dedicated support team here. Why? Y’all just latch on to anything you perceive as anti sjw? This game looks ok for at best a single play through. How many times are you going to go through the same environment shooting a gun slowly just because sometimes enemies will be on the left vs the right?
This fucking guy.

Arkam

Looks decent enough. Not overly impressive in any regard. Kinda reminds me of SQUAD gameplay, just against bots (and smaller maps). If the Bots are good and the maps dont feel too similar, this could be cool.

Environment looked ok, but NPC animations were pretty nasty looking.

Nyxir

Will players get their college tuition paid if they platinumed this game?

Yeah yeah bad joke but at least I tried.

Ascend

done over it GIF by Wheel of Fortune

forget it girl bye GIF by Landon Moss

forget it ugh GIF by FIddler on the Roof

Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

disgusted new girl GIF

Winter John

Gold Member
Disappointed. With all the money the military industrial complex takes from us taxpayers. The least they could do is make a decent video game.

Top Bottom