• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity a disaster for you? Take a look at Cities: Skylines (not related to CitiesXL)

Mik2121

If I bought this game from Steam and I live in Japan where March 10th is in 9 hours, does that mean the game will be available in 9 hours indeed? I don't think this game has any sort of special release date for the Japanese market so I'm probably getting it at the same time as everybody else (ie, the 10th of March).

SZips

EDIT: ^ Welp, I was late to this game engine party.

It's the same engine as SC isnt it? (Glassbox?)

Cities: Skylines is built on Unity.

Glassbox was literally just for the most recent SimCity game and is more than likely not going to be used outside of EA (or ever again?) if I were to guess.

When you take out the marketing team, and have a small art team, it's not that surprising. Banished was made by one person, and it's a great game.

Cities Skylines is not related at all to Simcity. It uses the Unity engine.

Thankfully, this game didn't take four years to release.

spiritfox

If I bought this game from Steam and I live in Japan where March 10th is in 9 hours, does that mean the game will be available in 9 hours indeed? I don't think this game has any sort of special release date for the Japanese market so I'm probably getting it at the same time as everybody else (ie, the 10th of March).

Steam does not have regional timing for game unlocks. It's most likely going to come out around 2am Japan time.

Thankfully, this game didn't take four years to release.

Still waiting for Citybound to get into alpha. Didn't help that the creator was in hiatus due to real life.

Jezbollah

EDIT: ^ Welp, I was late to this game engine party.

Cities: Skylines is built on Unity.

Glassbox was literally just for the most recent SimCity game and is more than likely not going to be used outside of EA (or ever again?) if I were to guess.

Cheers (and to Armaros & spiritfox too). Much appreciated. :)

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I believe Skylines is also designed as a multi-threaded engine, while Simcity 2013 was single core. Unless I am mistaken.

You are not mistaken. Although technically SimCity did use at least 2 cores, but not for the simulation. Simulation was single threaded, and the audio and some other stuff was run on the second thread.

KScorp

I still see some ridiculous traffic jams in this game. Merging into lanes often causes one or two lanes to completely stop before a merge can take place. For example:

http://youtu.be/b1gXKA-lPBQ?t=36m14s

At the linked time (36m14s), lanes seemingly take turns to switch to their desired lane. It seems that switching lanes can ONLY take place at that specific spot, meaning cars can't just scoot into their lanes when a space is available.

A bit before that clip, as well as a bit after (36m09m and 36m36s) a single lane seems to be unusually popular as well, cars simply ignore the other free lanes.

I just get the feeling that a lot of my traffic problems are going to come from poor simulation, rather than poor design. Even if the simulation turns out to be accurate (traffic jams occur where and when they should) it still looks terrible. I'm hoping that the traffic simulation improves not long after release.

kudoboi

Steam does not have regional timing for game unlocks. It's most likely going to come out around 2am Japan time.

pretty sure steam does. some games get released a few hours early in certain regions on steam

AFAIK its probably up to the developer/ publisher if they want to do regional unlocks

spiritfox

pretty sure steam does. some games get released a few hours early in certain regions on steam

AFAIK its probably up to the developer/ publisher if they want to do regional unlocks

Yeah I was wrong. But most of the games that do it are bigger releases. I don't think this game will have it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Games don't get countdown timers until a specific unlock time has been set, and since Valve still has to change release states itself, region-specific unlock times are generally limited to "bigger" releases. It'll probably get a universal unlock time on Monday.

Recent examples include AssCreed Unity:

Added ReleaseStateOverrideCountries – US,CA,MX,PR,BS,PA,BZ,CR,SV,GT,HN,NI,VE,CO,GY,SR,GF,BR,PE,BO,PY,UY,AR,CL,EC
Added ReleaseStateOverride – released

...and Far Cry 4:

Added ReleaseStateOverrideCountries – AU,NZ
Added ReleaseStateOverride – released

dejay

Banned
I don't envy the programmers trying to fix the traffic pathfinding stuff, that sounds incredibly frustrating

They've made three games now with traffic - they really have to keep improving their models and agent behavior. Of course, assuming you have 300,000 agents path-finding at once, even using a little bit of extra AI for each one is going to add up. I believe they had just one programmer for CiM, so kudos to that person.

If I was remotely good at programming, I'd find that kind of stuff fascinating. I remember watching some doco years ago about people modelling traffic in NYC. Their model wasn't working; it didn't come close to reality. They fixed it by breaking down drivers into just four types - late cutters, timid, etc.. After that their model was able to be used properly.

In other news, I don't think I can watch Skye any more. More and more he's reminding me of Wallace - both his accent and his actions, or at least his inability to see things right in front of him. "Crikey Gromit!"

I think I'll be really late to the party with this game just like what I did with the 2013 SimCity if only to see what happens after the game launches.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I think I'll be really late to the party with this game just like what I did with the 2013 SimCity if only to see what happens after the game launches.
Well we already know what the game is like. And the devs have said they've fixed or are fixing some of the funnier bugs for an update. It's not like SimCity where we didn't get to play it first and were promised so much and didn't know they were liars (Well, for the most part) until after people paid their $60.

So hopefully you won't be too late.

Lach

It's really weird because Cities in Motion 2 could do really nice lane splitting/joining which worked and looked a lot better than C:S...

I still think C:S gives you good options for traffic control and it will be fun to optimise it...

Jisgsaw

Edit: Also, since it's possible to accidentally draw one-way roads in the wrong direction, is there a way to maybe right-click a segment that's backwards and flip it?

No you can't, you have to destroy and rebuild (or at leats no streamer (even the one guy from Paradox) found out how to do it).

They've made three games now with traffic - they really have to keep improving their models and agent behavior. Of course, assuming you have 300,000 agents path-finding at once, even using a little bit of extra AI for each one is going to add up. I believe they had just one programmer for CiM, so kudos to that person.

If I was remotely good at programming, I'd find that kind of stuff fascinating.

Fascinating, yes, but I guess it's pretty frustrating trying to model something as erratic as traffic flow.

Almost as frustrating as the fact I won't be able to play this before thursday because of work :-(

Image searching the game brought up this.
lol
oor4J3i.jpg

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
No you can't, you have to destroy and rebuild (or at leats no streamer (even the one guy from Paradox) found out how to do it).
How about the second part of my question? If you delete the roads while paused, and draw them back, will all buildings remain in place or will it destroy them and require you to rezone them?

Jisgsaw

How about the second part of my question? If you delete the roads while paused, and draw them back, will all buildings remain in place or will it destroy them and require you to rezone them?

I have no idea.
My guess would be they get destroyed too, but I'm no sure thay would get build in the first place, as there's potentially no access to their zone.
Edit: or not, see post below.

spiritfox

It's really weird because Cities in Motion 2 could do really nice lane splitting/joining which worked and looked a lot better than C:S...

I still think C:S gives you good options for traffic control and it will be fun to optimise it...

They are trying to make it less complex, since this game is more mainstream than CiM. It would be nice to have more control over lanes, but what is possible right now is not that bad. It just requires people who know what they are doing.

ZgHGHpT.jpg

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I have no idea.
My guess would be they get destroyed too, but I'm no sure thay would get build in the first place, as there's potentially no access to their zone.
Hmm. That's a good question. Will buildings only appear if the road is accessible? I guess it would. That's smart.

Still, the question is still valid as it would apply to just deleting a normal road and replacing it. Though I guess you wouldn't ever need to do that since you can just replace/upgrade/downgrade it anyway.

So I guess my whole question is invalid after all.

Edit: Okay..
They all remain. I saw it on Paradox stream.
That's good I guess. What about cars? Where do they go? And trains?

Does anyone else ever feel bad when you have to demolish a building to build a road? Especially one that has just finished building? Every time a streamer does it I get sad as the little frowny face floats up. Will the people in these buildings relocate themselves? When buildings are deleted do the occupants just relocate or die?

Jisgsaw

That's good I guess. What about cars? Where do they go? And trains?

Fromwhat I got from streams, when you destroy a road/train track with something on it (while pausing), the car or whatever that was on it stays where it was, and simply drives to the nearest road (or rail) once you unpause the game.

Does anyone else ever feel bad when you have to demolish a building to build a road? Especially one that has just finished building? Every time a streamer does it I get sad as the little frowny face floats up. Will the people in these buildings relocate themselves? When buildings are deleted do the occupants just relocate or die?

I hate destroying buildings to do new roads, but it's sometimes necessary.
I'm pretty sure the people relocate afterwards.

Well we already know what the game is like. And the devs have said they've fixed or are fixing some of the funnier bugs for an update. It's not like SimCity where we didn't get to play it first and were promised so much and didn't know they were liars (Well, for the most part) until after people paid their $60.

So hopefully you won't be too late.

Seeing as that game took me almost two years before me actually buying the whole deal at a massive discount, hopefully this one won't take that long.

Azusa

Seeing as that game took me almost two years before me actually buying the whole deal at a massive discount, hopefully this one won't take that long.

If they are going to release updates in the same manner as Paradox do it for CK2. You will have to wait for several years if you want to buy a "finished/complete product".

Noaloha

Steam's default unlock time for day of release I assume boils down to "whenever they get into work and press the button" on the west coast of the US. Which is so, so irksome that I think I might throw a pillow. I'm in Sweden, and I'm expecting to be able to play the game, on day of release, no earlier than 18:00.

:hugesadface:

Phinor

If they are going to release updates in the same manner as Paradox do it for CK2. You will have to wait for several years if you want to buy a "finished/complete product".

Do you feel like CK2 on release wasn't a complete $40 game? Wasn't it perfectly playable even if they never released any additional content to it? At least it got great reviews and people really enjoyed it before any DLC.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO

What was missing from CK2 at launch?

devonodev

Steam's default unlock time for day of release I assume boils down to "whenever they get into work and press the button" on the west coast of the US. Which is so, so irksome that I think I might throw a pillow. I'm in Sweden, and I'm expecting to be able to play the game, on day of release, no earlier than 18:00.

:hugesadface:
SzqkjmM.gif

Rootbeer

Banned
I agree, based on the streams I've watched this game has a ton of stuff out of the gate, but if paradox's past games are any indication it is going to get a lot of post-release content and that is just as exciting to me. there is a lot of potential here.

Pandemic

So.. 2 hours till March 10 us Australians.. Guess I won't be expecting to see it available?

When do GMG send out their codes?

Top Bottom