• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill: Downpour - Worth the money to try an old gem?

So, I love horror games, but I never really tried any of the original Silent hills. I did try Homecoming and it was okay, but I was always interested in Downpour. I remember seeing Ads before it released back in the day, but the reviews weren't the hottest.

However, I heard recently that it was not as bad as it was made out to be. It is backwards compatible for Xbox, but it's not on the store. The most reliable copy I see available is $78. I honestly really want to try it, but I wanted a second opinion.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
The only thing I can tell you is that I played it for the first time like 2 years ago and it totally blew me away. Would easily rate it as the best SH after the original trilogy.
The biggest problem of the game is it's engine. The framerate on the PS3 is abysmal and IIRC it's not much better on the 360. Also the first 1-2 hours are a bit boring.

But once you reach Silent Hill itself... Bloody amazing game. I wish someone would make at least a Remaster or something.

The only thing I can tell you is that I played it for the first time like 2 years ago and it totally blew me away. Would easily rate it as the best SH after the original trilogy.
The biggest problem of the game is it's engine. The framerate on the PS3 is abysmal and IIRC it's not much better on the 360. Also the first 1-2 hours are a bit boring.

But once you reach Silent Hill itself... Bloody amazing game. I wish someone would make at least a Remaster or something.
I wonder since it's BC on Series x if the frame rate would be better. I feel like this comment t alone makes me want to try it

I say go for it! I own it and played some of it before getting stuck and dropping it. Am in similar boat with not much classic SH experience despite being a horror game connosieur

El Muerto

It's better than Homecoming and Shattered Memories. It was defnitely enjoyable and the gameplay and atmosphere was great. Can't believe how expensive these games are nowadays. Makes me wish i kept my copies of everything. I wouldnt spend $80 though tbh.

It's better than Homecoming and Shattered Memories. It was defnitely enjoyable and the gameplay and atmosphere was great. Can't believe how expensive these games are nowadays. Makes me wish i kept my copies of everything. I wouldnt spend $80 though tbh.
Yeah it's definitely a lot. I just can't believe copies are that rare that people charge that much. I see ones on Facebook for 45, but idk how legit they are

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
I enjoyed it. Enemies are lame but I thought the whole rain setting was cool and the Otherworld/chase scenes had some dope effects. Story was okay. Performance on console was bad and is hardly better on SX. That physical pricetag is crazy.

Denton

I would love to play this, lack of PC version is a god damn travesty. Maybe emulator will work well someday.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
You’ll be kicking yourself if you pay that much for Downpour. The first part of the game has some very boring and frustrating areas. I wish developers would forget about mines. The mine is where I wanted to stop playing the game.

dotnotbot

Silent hill is a significant horror franchise.

looney-tunes-daffy.gif

Last edited:

consoul

I'm playing it now. Had it on PS3 years ago, but gave up early on (in the mines) as I had more compelling games to play. Recently picked up a 360 copy. Via backward compatibility on an XBox One S, it performs much better than I remember the PS3 version did.

Only a few hours in, but am in Silent Hill proper now and finding it pretty good. Once you get past the opening, it becomes less linear. A bit too early for me to judge really, but at this point it does feel like this game is better than it got credit for in its day.

Was pleasantly surprised to see even the 360 version supports stereoscopic 3D (albeit frame-packed). Might give that a shot on my old TV at some point, but being quite a dark game, it looks nice on a modern OLED.

Neff

Performance is janky, there really aren't enough enemy types even by Silent Hill standards, and objectives can sometimes be confusing, but when it's great it's really great.

The atmosphere is terrific. I honestly think they did the spooky deserted town thing better than Team Silent did. More than just a series of foggy streets and shops, it feels like a functioning place where people lived and worked, where something very sinister has set in. Even though the game is linear in terms of meaningful progression, it rewards exploration more than any other game in the series, with some surprisingly substantial sidequests. Puzzles are imaginative and very well done. I even daresay the art direction is pretty good, and the hallucinatory scenes bravely challenge their UE3 limitations.

There's a lot in Downpour to enjoy, it's a fairly big game. I can't quite recommend paying over the odds for it, but if you do feel like giving it a chance, I don't think you'll regret it. I'm glad I did.

Real fuckin' weird that game is not on xbox.com

Has a couple of licensed songs in it, including the infamous Korn song which got more shit than it deserved honestly. Konami probably figured it wasn't worth the asking price to get the game re-certified.

Last edited:

Vick

I was starving for survival horror at the time so i fucking loved this game to death at release. There's something about its perfect structure, in this regard the SH i always wanted.

Enemies are not even in the same realm of Team Silent, and other things as well, but i still loved it to death. Game has a souls, amazing atmosphere, amazingly crafted locations, amazing score by Daniel Licht (Dexter's composer); listen to this masterpiece:

And endure till 2:00, where the song starts.

Xbox version is also much better than the PS3 one, audio aside. If they'd announce a Remaster i would buy it in a heartbeat.

rapid32.5

Downpour used to be delisted then it appeared for sale, got delisted again. Keep the hope alive. I would recommend Deadly Premonition between other two Silent Hills.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

Downpour used to be delisted then it appeared for sale, got delisted again. Keep the hope alive. I would recommend Deadly Premonition between other two Silent Hills.

I love twin peaks, and I really wanted to like deadly premonition b the gunplay feels like a really cheap RE4 ripoff, and the driving mechanics are downright awful. It definitely feels like a low budget game.

This game needs to be remade, but not by the orinal devs.

Shakka43

I would love to play this, lack of PC version is a god damn travesty. Maybe emulator will work well someday.
The game fully playable on RPCS3 at 60fps if you have a decent enough PC.

I personally didn't care much for the game and found Homecoming much more interesting.

ParaSeoul

It's a good game but not a good Silent Hill. Akiras music is good but he stopped doing SFX after SH4.
I guess thats a part of why its good,the rest try to be like the older games and fail spectacularly. While Shattered Memories does its own thing. In a timeline where we kept getting Team Silent games as a main series,it would have fit well as a non-canon spin off. Can't say the same for some travesty like Downpour or Homecoming.

An underrated B game ripped apart by overly critical fans of the franchise. I remember those same SH fans criticizing 4 a ton back when it first came out, but now some of them pretend like that never happened.

I don't see this Konami game ever receiving a sudden nostalgic burst of adoration, but at least Metal Gear Solid fans finally treated Revengeance with that type of adoration after all these years.

Top Bottom