• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do the Silent Hill games hold up today?

Growing up I was not allowed to play M rated games, but bow that I'm an adult I have played many horror games that I love. I hear so many rumblings about new Silent hill movies and games. Unfortunately since I missed those games in the past I missed out on the lore and nostalgia. I know there were HD re releases and whatnot, but I've heard iffy things about them.

I have both a Series X and PS5 that I would imagine would be backwards compatible for some of the originals. Can you recommend me the good ones to try so that I can get into the series? And is it even worth it by now?

killatopak

It does, personally.

I played 1, 2, and 3 last year. It's still pretty damn good. Graphics may leave a lot to be desired but the horror aspect is still peak of the genre.

solidus12

I'm playing the original Silent Hill on my Vita, and I have to say it's a great game. (First time playing it).
It took me some time to get used to the tank controls, but it's been a great experience so far (I'm in the school level).

The other games can be played using the stick, so yeah the games hold up pretty well.

I'm fortunate enough to have the PS2 games (SH2, SH3, SH4, Shattered Memories) and I'm looking for a physical copy of the first game, as well as Downpour.

Last edited:
I'm playing the original Silent Hill on my Vita, and I have to say it's a great game.
It took me some time to get used to the tank controls, but it's been a great experience so far (I'm in the school level).

The other games can be played using the stick, so yeah the games hold up pretty well.

I'm fortunate enough to have the PS2 games (SH2, SH3, SH4, Shattered Memories) and I'm looking for a physical copy of the first game, as well as Downpour.
Yeah I actually just got downpour for my series X. It's interesting. Definitely has age but I also see the charm.

BryceNobody

Hell yeah they do.

The gameplay of 1 might feel a little stiff by modern standards, but 1-3 are still classics that dunk on most modern horror titles. Take the plunge, use a guide if you need tips, and get lost in the fog…

silent hill horror GIF

Last edited:

DonJorginho

Banned
W

As it enjoyable? I'm just wondering if the games hold up and they're fun to play still to a newcomer
If you've never played 2 then the HD Collection is a serviceable way to play the game, but I'd highly recommend trying to emulate the game using Retroarch on the Series X or picking up a copy for PS2/ playing the enhanced edition on PC.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
SH1 does not, but the second and third definitely do, but not on the platforms you have OP. It's weird, but hear me out.

SH2: You're best off playing the enhanced edition on PC with the fan mods.
SH3: PCSX2 emulation, or even the PC version with some fan mods is decent.

The only way you can access them on Series X is with the HD collection, but those are cursed versions.

kunonabi

1-3 hold up fine. Well as long as you aren't playing the HD Collection anyway. The games were always slightly more progressive when they came out since they had the ability to sidestep , move and shoot, 180 turn, block, etc. and more advanced control/visual options.

The first 3 games are worth experiencing firsthand and blind. The 2nd game especially is something very special and I don't think it could ever really age. It's just as good today we it was over 20 years ago at release. The thing is, they never really were smooth action oriented games so it's not about their gameplay becoming dated or anything, it just never was the pinnacle of "fun" like some of the more gameplay oriented games from that era. But they're absolutely worth playing in release order preferably.

DeepSpace5D

In my opinion they still hold up great once you get used to the tank controls again.

I actually replayed Silent Hill 1 in 2020 on the Vita and had such a great time with it, I wound up playing through it 5 times to get all 5 endings.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Silent Hill 3 has amazing art, and in general the tech and character models are a big step up compared to your average PS2 generation game. On higher resolutions, it looks great even today:

vzky6.png

FunkMiller

Gold Member
1 looks and plays pretty clunky these days, as you'd expect for a game that's on such old hardware, but the story, gameplay and general tone and aesthetic still stand up brilliantly. Yes you should play it.

3 is still a great game, though of the original trilogy its the most flawed. You should still play it.

2 is one of the greatest games ever made, and stands as an absolute masterpiece to this day. Obviously, you should play it.

Don't worry about the rest, unless you really get into the series, in which case, play 4.

Ignore everything else. It's all trite, repetitive, westernised shit.

ZehDon

Gold Member
I actually just finished a playthrough of Silent Hill 1 via DuckStation emulation on my Series X. Thanks to the enhancements from the emulator - 4k, rock-solid 30fps, polygon wobble cleaned up, texture perspective correction - I was really blown away by how much the experience as a whole was actually held up. Save for the bad - or amazing? - voice work, I think the first game holds up remarkably well, and it's an easy recommend from me. The atmosphere that game creates is really something special. About to dig into 2, I'll likely just replay it on my PS2 Slim though.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I actually just finished a playthrough of Silent Hill 1 via DuckStation emulation on my Series X. Thanks to the enhancements from the emulator - 4k, rock-solid 30fps, polygon wobble cleaned up, texture perspective correction - I was really blown away by how much the experience as a whole was actually held up. Save for the bad - or amazing? - voice work, I think the first game holds up remarkably well, and it's an easy recommend from me. The atmosphere that game creates is really something special. About to dig into 2, I'll likely just replay it on my PS2 Slim though.

I am now going to do this also. haven't played one in too long, and that sounds like a great way to relive it.

Growing up I was not allowed to play M rated games, but bow that I'm an adult I have played many horror games that I love. I hear so many rumblings about new Silent hill movies and games. Unfortunately since I missed those games in the past I missed out on the lore and nostalgia. I know there were HD re releases and whatnot, but I've heard iffy things about them.

I have both a Series X and PS5 that I would imagine would be backwards compatible for some of the originals. Can you recommend me the good ones to try so that I can get into the series? And is it even worth it by now?

The original trilogy is fantastic and holds up well. Play the original Silent Hill through DuckStation and check out some info on recommended enhancements.

Then go through Silent Hill 2 & 3 either on PC with the recommended mods (like Silent Hill 2: Enhanced Edition and check out this thread for Silent Hill 3) or emulate them with PCSX2.

Avoid the HD release, it's not even a serviceable way to experience the games, way too fucked up of a package.

solidus12

On a side note, what’s up with those creepy invisible monsters in the school?

The sound they make when I get close always gets me. They sound like rats.

God I’m loving my playthrough on the Vita.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
They are definitely fun, but I feel like you have to accept and appreciate the gameplay. The atmosphere is creepy, there’s a lot to discover, and the controls/combat can be wonky at times.

If you don’t heavily criticize the combat, you can have a good time with Silent Hill 1-4. I played games before and after that console generation. I ignored the clunky stuff even if I had issues or died because of it.

I think you can get a lot out of those games regardless. There aren’t that many games that imitate the style of Silent Hill because a lot of stuff was inspired by it.

Last edited:

Ladioss

Silent Hill 1 is still one of my favourite horrific game ever : I actually like the gameplay clunkiness, I help to make you really fearful of the environment and the monsters.

I have the same question as OP about Silent Hill Shattered Memories : I remember liking it at the time, but I wonder how well it aged ?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Yeah they hold up, probably go the emulation route though.
Just remember when they was made and you'll look past what has aged and how not all actors was professional back then.
But those games can easily be remade today and stand on their own.
Silent Hill 2 is a masterpiece.

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
Absolutely.

Here's how I played them for the first time.

• Silent Hill: emulation with DuckStation.
  • Silent Hill 2: Enhanced Edition.
  • Silent Hill 3: on PC with widescreen fix and xinput. You can get it through My Abandonware (as well as 2).
  • Silent Hill 4: the GOG version works fine enough.
Given that modern gaming is an ever increasing wasteland bereft of quality titles, I've been playing older games with a lot more frequency.

Last edited:

Erebus

Graphically, they hold up pretty well (except for the first one), especially if you have access to the PC versions and patch them up with the community updates.

The controls, some gameplay mechanics and the combat are pretty archaic I’d say but you don’t play Silent Hill for these things anyway.

From a story perspective, most definitely. It actually takes its subject matter seriously. Gameplay it not that great in my eyes, but definitely serviceable. The dream is a SH that can play great and make me poop my pants.

laynelane

There's really nothing else quite like SH out there so I'd say they're worth playing. Sure, the graphics and game play are dated but the music, storytelling, and atmosphere are unique to them and worth experiencing. 1 and 3 are in continuity with each other and 2 is standalone. Maybe start with those and see how well you like them.

Mozzarella

If you play games for gameplay only then no, the controls are not responsive, the combat is outdated even by early 2000's standards, REmake had better enemies to fight and the player felt more tension because the enemies were faster and more dangerous, in SH 1 and SH 2 the enemies stand next to you doing nothing but creepy sounds. The graphics are outdated as well, compare SH2 to REmake and its huge gap, REmake still looks good, Even Level design isn't that interesting, most of the time you will be clicking on locked door until you find your next path.

However if you play games for atmosphere and to get "THE Experience" instead of mechanics or a specific gameplay element then i would say it still hold up yeah. You will notice few rough edges here and there because the game is old and outdated in a lot of its game design aspects but as a horror experience it definitely holds up well, i know that because i played it for the first time around the year 2015 and i enjoyed my time with it, obviously i wasn't crazy about it like many of its diehard fans but i found it to be a very interesting and atmosphere heavy game, it's a game that i still remember after my 2 playthroughs of it.
So a game i still remember after like 8 years of playing, a game that i had fun and enjoyed it 15 years after its original release, i would say it holds up. Not as well as REmake ,but it holds up.

Silent hill 1 to 3 give modern games a lesson
What lesson, if i may ask?

Last edited:
Top Bottom