• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SIE Bend Studio’s Next Project Targets “Cinematic-Quality” Facial Animation, 3D Audio, and Online MP

Ar¢tos

The amount of derailing, shitposting and FUD spreading on GAF lately has been over the top.
I'm not sure if this approach of quantity over quality introduced with allowing free emails to register is having a positive impact on GAF image.
Atm the other forum is a better place to browse regarding these issues, but on the other hand, they still have their retarted rules and views.
I hope GAF finds a way to fix this.

The amount of derailing, shitposting and FUD spreading on GAF lately has been over the top.
I'm not sure if this approach of quantity over quality introduced with allowing free emails to register is having a positive impact on GAF image.
Atm the other forum is a better place to browse regarding these issues, but on the other hand, they still have their retarted rules and views.
I agree..its getting hard to find quality discussion

Gamernyc78

Banned
MP? I wonder if they got relegated to cheap mp royal game because Days Gone didnt get well received.

In what world wasn't it well recieved financially? It's all about money and Days Gone sold well according to what we saw after release. A game could get a 60 meta and if it sold like hot cakes and funds another project that company will be all in.

BTW in my top three games tht year :) They did things in tht game that older studios could learn from in open worlds.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
DynamiteCop!

RIP our beloved Xbox hero :messenger_sad_relieved:

Now lives hapilly ever after carried by our beautiful astronomia coffin party member😊
tenor.gif

Last edited:

Keihart

I had no idea that you can now use free emails, that explains a lot :pie_thinking:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
In the meantime, Naughty Dog keeps bleeding people. At this point, half of Initiative are ex-Naughty Dog designers and animators.
Somebody needs to do something about Druckmann.

Fame, great tech, and large budgets can only do so much against bad working conditions/crazy crunch/stress and politics. Management ought to pull its head out of their asses and intervene.

Problem is that tons of gamers and journalists and others in the public have internalised crunch and will mock anyone trying to raise toxic work conditions as a problem: likely these animators and devs are going to carry over that mindset and reproduce the same atmosphere at The Initiative and then in 10 years or so move off again, etc... etc...

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
The setting,characters and gameplay of Days Gone didn't looked appealing to me so i skipped it. Still if i consider that this game was Sony Bend's first big console project of that scale i think it was very impressive what they achieved given their lack of experience for that type of game (even with the problems the game had at launch.)

Lately i had watched some streams of the game and my opinion changed a bit. I like how they catched the atmosphere of the mountains and the forests and the combat (although nothing original) seems fun for what it is. I might give it a chance someday. I'm curious what they will do with the sequel.

Last edited:

turtlepowa

Banned
Maybe they could first target the eradication of all the game breaking bugs in their existing game.
The performance was a joke at the beginning with massive frame drops and sometimes 2 second freezes, but even without any patch i never had a (game breaking) bug.

The setting,characters and gameplay of Days Gone didn't looked appealing to me so i skipped it. Still if i consider that this game was Sony Bend's first big console project of that scale i think it was very impressive what they achieved given their lack of experience for that type of game (even with the problems the game had at launch.)

Lately i have watched some streams of the game and my opinion changed a bit. I like how they catched the atmosphere of the mountains and the forests and the combat (although nothing original) seems fun for what it is. I might give it a chance someday. I'm curious what they will do with the sequel.

It was the second game I ever plat’d. It is worth playing, especially since I assume it’s cheap at this point. Lot of potential with the game engine and the world they built

anthraticus

Banned
Oh good, another one targeting cinematics.

Why do so many miss the game part of the word videogame?

SMH, next gen is going to be worse then this gen if devs keep focusing on all the wrong things.
LOL.....it's mainstream/AAA gaming...they obviously gonna focus on the casuals and what's gonna draw the most $$.

I don't like this pattern I am starting to see of more MP making its way into Sony ps5 games

In fairness, it seems like they can’t win. One group will criticize solo-only adventures, the other will criticize “tacked on” MP.

I like having both. I thought TLOU had great MP and UC4 had underrated MP, played it quite a bit for a month or so.

I guess it’s all subjective. A fully fleshed out Days Gone 2 Campaign with optional MP component would be cool to me

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

GHG

Lately i have watched some streams of the game and my opinion changed a bit. I like how they catched the atmosphere of the mountains and the forests and the combat (although nothing original) seems fun for what it is. I might give it a chance someday. I'm curious what they will do with the sequel.

Play the game.

If you get immersed in the world there's not much else like it out there. The gane world is so well crafted.

Other then a strict zero-tolerance policy, what can be done? I don’t know if there is a fix. It seems like nothing can stop the low effort drive by’s from warriors on both sides.

Reactions: Isa

PocoJoe

Banned
MP? I wonder if they got relegated to cheap mp royal game because Days Gone didnt get well received.

NPD Best Selling Games of 2019
19th place days gone

NPD Best Selling PS4 Games of 2019
8th place on ps4 sold games 2019

Fuck off with your bullshit "not well received". Only ones that didnt receive it well were some LPGTPPTPTPT-idiots whom cried because a man kisses a woman.

Ar¢tos

Other then a strict zero-tolerance policy, what can be done? I don’t know if there is a fix. It seems like nothing can stop the low effort drive by’s from warriors on both sides.
Less tolerance, longer bans.
Look at the ban page, we have someone that necrobumped a 7 year old thread JUST to make a shitpost and he/she got only a 2 week ban. A necrobump like that to me says that that person has zero interest in doing any normal discussion here.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Fame, great tech, and large budgets can only do so much against bad working conditions/crazy crunch/stress and politics. Management ought to pull its head out of their asses and intervene.

Problem is that tons of gamers and journalists and others in the public have internalised crunch and will mock anyone trying to raise toxic work conditions as a problem: likely these animators and devs are going to carry over that mindset and reproduce the same atmosphere at The Initiative and then in 10 years or so move off again, etc... etc...

That being said, ND looks way better on a resume than The Initiative, and that's not going to change until they start churning out titles of similar quality and sales.

At this point, The Initiative have everything to prove. From product to working culture lets see them get something out the door before anointing them as being better than Naughty Dog in any respect. Because at this point, it could simply be a matter of them paying better,

Isa

I freakin' loved Days Gone, got the plat and have not only been mulling over its gameplay beats but its story sections to boot. Going a bit further in the optional stuff raises some very interesting questions in regards to which direction they might take things. For me it was an absolute blast to play the whole way through, and have been contemplating giving it another go. I really hope they have the opportunity to make a sequel, or at least another bigger title as they at Bend are passionate about their work. I also loved the little historical marker collectables.

And even though I played the game hard at launch I never encountered and bugs or framerate problems. Hell my time was perfect. The only thing I can think of I'd like to see most open world games improve upon is the map design, as the basic square map kind of plays out the same between games, such as Days Gone and Horizon Zero Dawn taking the players in similar directions. I assume its largely due to current console limitations, but it'd be nice to see an improvement. Cinematic quality facial animations just reinforces that they've got something big in the works to me. I love most of the characters, and the cutscenes already looked damn fine, I can only imagine what next gen is going to bring.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Yeah Days Gone 2 is gonna be a cracker. Aside from the trolls and shit posters, anybody who played the game - at least in the current state - can see how much positive growth the studio can build from there.

Bend will be one to watch next gen.

"Cinematic-quality"
And suddenly my Give-A-Shit-O-Meter went into the negatives.

Love the pretenders trying to convince anybody that “cinematic quality” when it comes to animation is a bad thing. Cute.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
Yeah Days Gone 2 is gonna be a cracker. Aside from the trolls and shit posters, anybody who played the game - at least in the current state - can see how much positive growth the studio can build from there.

Bend will be one to watch next gen.

Love the pretenders trying to convince anybody that “cinematic quality” when it comes to animation is a bad thing. Cute.

I know right 👀👀 same offenders too. Instead lets call it AAA or better yet AAAA with no meat, mediocre production, no evolution in gamrplay, regurgitated and as a filler for a game service 😊

Days Gone was one of the best ps4 games tht year and definitely better than most games on competing platforms imo. The beautiful world, dynamic weather, dynamic AL was just so good.

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
You don't even own a PS4, so why do you care?
A machine that sell almost 100 million units has games that influence the entire industry.
Why shouldn't I care? Their cinematic pablum is the bane of the medium.
And I have a friend that lets me borrow his PS4 Pro so I don't have to pay for the games.

bitbydeath

A machine that sell almost 100 million units has games that influence the entire industry.
Why shouldn't I care? Their cinematic pablum is the bane of the medium.
And I have a friend that lets me borrow his PS4 Pro so I don't have to pay for the games.

The bane until Red Dead, GTA, Witcher, CyberPunk or any other third party cinematic game is released on your platform of choice.

Mista

Banned

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
As if it could ever even reach zero... go troll elsewhere.

When Hellblade 2 is released, they will "All hell the cinematic-quality".

On-topic: I can see a Days Gone, with zombies having full body deformation and destruction. Also online Co-op for this game would be amazing.

Last edited:

FranXico

Yeah sure. Give me games like God of War and Spider-Man and I don’t give a shit about those cinematic whatsoever. Don’t mind them being implemented properly but not heavily focused.
Well, people still expect gameplay to be satisfying. I'm enjoying God of War A LOT with its more one-on-one focused combat. Story and cinematics are just a nice extra that Sony execs seem to believe in as an asset in marketing. As long as I get what I want from those games, whatever...

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
The bane until Red Dead, GTA, Witcher, CyberPunk or any other third party cinematic game is released on your platform of choice.
You have a point. Unfortunately, I don't give a damn about platform dick measuring.
And the games you mentioned are great despite their cinematic aspirations, not because of them.

Top Bottom