• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shroud follows Ninja in moving to Mixer

Naru

I just read this news on a different site was like "wtf how is this news? didn't this happen like months ago?!" And then I read the text and realized that this is a different guy. They all blend together for me.

CuNi

Mixer sure is putting the pressure on to Twitch. With already 2 high-tier Streamers switching sides, one could see more people going to Mixer to watch them there and start checking those streamers out and also Mixer starts to be more interesting for newcomers as Ninja and Shroud generate a lot of views rn and there is not that much of a competition like there is on Twitch.

Interesting times for sure! Maybe this'll get Twitch to fucking finally stop giving in to every SJW bullshit demand and get their own rules figured out.

Grinchy

Banned
Shroud follows the money in moving to Mixer

Fixed the title for you.
It's true. Someone who is only doing their job for the money was happy to accept even more money for continuing to do the job.

I can't think of anything more treacherous!

Fragment

Mixer sure is putting the pressure on to Twitch. With already 2 high-tier Streamers switching sides, one could see more people going to Mixer to watch them there and start checking those streamers out and also Mixer starts to be more interesting for newcomers as Ninja and Shroud generate a lot of views rn and there is not that much of a competition like there is on Twitch.

Interesting times for sure! Maybe this'll get Twitch to fucking finally stop giving in to every SJW bullshit demand and get their own rules figured out.

Twitch rules did not have anything to do with these two streamers leaving.

Ninja's wife stated they left Twitch because Ninja started getting tired of being a streamer blaming twitch chat toxicity which I don't believe was the reason for him getting tired of streaming, I've watched Ninja briefly a couple of times and he was annoying and just bad as an entertainer at least Shroud despite not being very sociable was actually a pretty good streamer because of his skillset providing entertainment.

Ninja's wife also stated that Twitch was somehow restricting them from being able to expand their brand which to me sounds like complete BS. There is no way that Microsoft will be less lax with sponsors than Twitch, I mean twitch already partners with many game companies, peripheral manufacturers and even allows people to link their social profiles many of which have NSFW content. And the fact that Twitch drives so much more traffic to make people more recognizable and marketable also makes this sound like complete BS. I'm certain Microsoft will probably force streamers to push Microsoft products/consoles/services over the variety of products that Twitch content creators are allowed to use and show.

This was about money and Microsoft wants to lock up top streamers before their next Halo games come out to increase their popularity.

I'm certain this is not just a one way street for the streamers and Microsoft is probably also getting feedback from popular players on their games as well.

Last edited:

Woo-Fu

Banned
I don't know why people are arguing about money being involved. Stop treating this as people simply playing games. It's a career now, whether you like it or not. Of course money is a prime consideration.

nemiroff

Gold Member
There are good things here. Mixer is open for everyone to watch, just like Twitch, and the video quality is superior. Its just a different url anyway.

Grinchy

Banned
I don't know why people are arguing about money being involved. Stop treating this as people simply playing games. It's a career now, whether you like it or not. Of course money is a prime consideration.
That's what I don't get. It's not like these people are selling snake oil or some hurtful thing, they are just good at videogames on a level the rest of us could never achieve, or they are funny.

I'm not the biggest Twitch watcher at this point, but it really fascinates me to see how upset people get at the success of these streamers. Becoming a millionaire to play videogames from your house is like an ultimate dream. I guess that's it, actually. Maybe it's just jealousy. I know I get jealous sometimes after a bad day at a job that won't pay me in 20 years what they make in 1, but it doesn't make them my enemy.

Fragment

I don't see how this helps Mixer, people go to Twitch because of the variety of streamers, not huge personalities.

Twitch had natural growth for many years even before they became twitch and when "huge personalities" like Ninja showed up they had record views from youtube crowd, etc.. but they didn't stick around when they realized how bad/boring these huge personalities are when they have to carry on conversations or engage with people.. same thing happened with Ninja going to Mixer... I don't even know if he still streams or or how often and how the numbers compare to Twitch but I suspect Shroud will have more success.

The thing is Microsoft is playing catch up with an inferior platform the only way to do that is artificial growth by poaching talent/big names as they won't get natural growth like Twitch had over the years when Twitch is obviously the superior platform.

In the end I think you're right though this won't help Mixer and it will be another Zune / Microsoft Phone for them.

Been watching Shroud on mixer for two days now and I don't like the layout/UI. It's like it is designed for a smart phone or something. The browse/games feature is so much more inferior to Twitch and I really NEED to have a sidebar like Twitch that shows all the streamers I follow that are online as I like to have multiple streams open or swap between streams on the fly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom