• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should MS revive Heroes of the Storm?

BlackM1st

Banned
fb-share-1fcc54becc.jpg

Should MS revive HotS after Activision basically killed it? Does it makes financial sense for MS?

Would you like to see heroes from MS IP's being introduced into it?

I'm not sure about financial sense, but I'm pretty sure that a fun cross platform casual friendly MOBA can be a great platform for them to promote their IP'S.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Abso-fucking-lutely not.

Worst MOBA in the entire universe

A quick cash-grab

Emphasis on quick since Blizzard quickly bailed the fuck out from that project

The_hunter

I forget this game exists. Blizzard games in general have the best game feel and polish in their respective genre, but in the moba genre you have dota2 from valve, with much better game feel and mechanics, hard to compete.

bajouras

Am I really the only one that actually enjoyed the game above all the other mobas? It was a truly casual moba and that was the best part about it. I had tons of hours spent in LoL only to prefer HoTs because it was so chill about mostly everything.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I loved the unique maps, the art design, and a few of teh new characters like Orphea. However, the actual moment to moment gameplay was really awful. It was slow, it controlled the worst out of any other major MOBA on the market, and it was clear that the game wouldn't last.

MadPanda

Banned
Am I really the only one that actually enjoyed the game above all the other mobas? It was a truly casual moba and that was the best part about it. I had tons of hours spent in LoL only to prefer HoTs because it was so chill about mostly everything.

No, you're not. I and my friends were avid Dota 1 fans, then Dota 2,but still played hots and enjoyed it a lot. It was a simple game with matches half the time of Dota 2 matches.

OP I think Microsoft should revive it and put its characters and Bethesda in addition to Blizzard and put it on consoles.

jakinov

Aren't all F2P competitive games have toxic communities?
It seems like all multipalyer games have toxic commutiies since people always memeing about people insulting each toher on COD/Halo. F2P games have just become way more popular than paid MP games that you jkust hear about them more

BlackM1st

Banned
Well...I liked it. Never spend any money or a lot of time, but I enjoyed its casual nature.

OP I think Microsoft should revive it and put its characters and Bethesda in addition to Blizzard and put it on consoles
Yep, I would like to see that too.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Aren't all F2P competitive games have toxic communities?

It's different when you're playing a team-based game.

You always run into players who stop playing 2 minutes into a match because someone on their team didn't help.

HotS requires you to take part in objects and you always run into players who intentionally ignore them.

And then there's the draft. Teams typically need an Assassin, Mage, Bruiser, Tank, and Healer. Most people love playing either a mage or an assassin, so guess what happens? You're always running into games where people don't want to pick a healer or a tank.

I can decide to play by myself in a game like Fortnite. Relying on teammates is what makes things very toxic than a lot of other F2P games.

BlackM1st

Banned
I can decide to play by myself in a game like Fortnite. Relying on teammates is what makes things very toxic than a lot of other F2P games.
HotS can be made into PvE game only. Should solve a lot of problems, but I'm not sure that there's a market for PvE only MOBA. I doubt that more than 10% of players would be interested in it.

Nautilus

Banned
Yes, I would like that.

I would personally say its the best DOTA out there.Shame that Blizzard dropped support, but I would love to see a soft reboot and maybe even introducing some MS characters.

Griffon

You're not alone. I have several years of Dota 2 play, and I think HotS is simply a better game on many levels (game time, variety, character design and feel).
I was very sad when Blizzard discontinued the development and pretty much killed the community and future of the game overnight.

I think HotS had a very unfortunate release window, too late to be a real treat to Dota, and released the same year as Overwatch, which clearly was the preferred children of actiblizz.
It wasn't really a fault of the game itself, which was very good.

Last edited:

Holammer

Was not a fan of the gameplay loop, but hey... You could gut the existing HotS for its assets which still look great btw and start over. Learn from the mistakes.
Put Master chief innit and release on all the platforms.

Wildebeest

Has any new successful moba released in the west in the last five years? There is such a huge barrier to entry for learning a new one that it seems too much to ask players to switch from an established one.

BlackM1st

Banned
Has any new successful moba released in the west in the last five years? There is such a huge barrier to entry for learning a new one that it seems too much to ask players to switch from an established one.
Well, HotS has a lot of recognizable heroes + it's pretty casual friendly.

On paper sounds like a sure thing receipt for victory, especially considering the fact that the whole MOBA genre exists only because Blizzard made WarCraft 3...

Fare thee well

Neophyte
This game was the most casual moba, and therefore, the one I had the most fun with 😄.

It has all the foundation to be the best moba, but you know.... blizzard.

Reactions: Fuz

Wildebeest

Well, HotS has a lot of recognizable heroes + it's pretty casual friendly.

On paper sounds like a sure thing receipt for victory, especially considering the fact that the whole MOBA genre exists only because Blizzard made WarCraft 3...
A Marvel moba is out there as well, so clearly well known characters don't sell the genre. It is distasteful to think that a company owns something because fans made it as an original mod using their engine. I think that most people would be more turned off by that level of corporate control and greed than think that it would be "justice" for them to come in and reap the benefits.

El Sabroso

I respect the idea behind heroes of the Storm, I did not like it because I am just not into MOBAs, but, the time I played it to get some skins for Overwatch, I liked the idea it is a whole mix of mechanics from every game into this game to get each stage with a different way to play it, if that idea is encouraged but MS wants to include the whole franchises it has, it can be something cool, obviously a lot of it has to change in regards how is monetized but yeah, the idea behind the franchise and the lot of franchises MS has now, is too good for it

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
No, you're not. I and my friends were avid Dota 1 fans, then Dota 2,but still played hots and enjoyed it a lot. It was a simple game with matches half the time of Dota 2 matches.

OP I think Microsoft should revive it and put its characters and Bethesda in addition to Blizzard and put it on consoles.

It really wouldn't move the needle if they added MS' characters from other IPs.

They could add Master Chief and he's going to be viewed as a Raynor clone for HotS.

Plantoid

I liked the casual aspect of the game, no gold farming, shared XP and so on, focus on team fights instead of jungle and creep farming

Also siege type of characters where a a nice touch

I stopped playing it because I started hating games where my success depends on someone's else skills

Inspector Q

The game isn't shut down? Is it?
Don't think so, but it seems like they stopped supporting the game a while ago with new content.

I just took a quick look at this link where it shows the characters and their release dates:

2017 - 15 new characters
2018 - 9 new characters
2019 - 4 new characters
2020 - 2 new characters
2021 - nada

Personally, I got a hell of a lot of hours out of this game. Played tons with my friends. However, I never actually spent a penny on it, lol. I just used whatever free characters they had available at any particular time and used the in-game currency to buy any specific heroes I liked. Never used any real money.

Which in a way is pretty bad. As weird as this might sound, I think I would have gladly paid 10-15 bucks for a "Battle Pass" every few months. When a dev team actually churns out some consistent content and I am getting hours upon hours of decent play out of it, I don't mind supporting them with some money. I feel like there was no reason to spend a penny on this game if you were just a casual player. Probably not a good sign...

As for the game itself, I did like how different each hero felt. The way they adapted certain Overwatch characters, for example, was really cool. Was hoping to see more of that, but then they just stopped supporting the game. Probably because people like me didn't spend a dime, lol.

squarealex

Should MS revive HotS after Activision basically killed it? Does it makes financial sense for MS?

Pls stop mention any Blizzard IP and MS

HOTS is Blizzard problem, not MS

I like the actual HOTS... I don't want a complete transformation with all the garbage IP of Xbox Game Studio. (MS Want a Moba ? they create it... oups... i forget Microsoft can't make....)
But, the actual blizzard is too dumb to... create Diablo 4, Diablo Immortal, OW2 and a new IP that no one want... so... the futur of HOTS is like 2021... Skin, rework and no new hero...

Also... HOTS is a good fan service of Blizzard IP with many insane detail (quote/skins/maps) of all characters... I'm not sure the new generation of developpers have really played of olds Blizzard IP

Last edited:
I played and enjoyed HotS quite a bit. Couldn't get into many other MOBAs because of my dislike of item shops. HotS cut a lot of the fat and the important parts remained.

I remember when they launched "HotS 2.0", where the game went full F2P with loot boxes and everything. I was pretty excited for that because I'd finally be able to get some skins for free. Before then they were all paid extras.

Stopped playing in early 2019 after getting frustrated with ranked. I was never the best player, but your success in these games depends a lot on your teammates. Often times it's just frustrating. That's also when the updates started slowing down.

Anyway I wouldn't be against a revival. I don't know what they'd have to do to bring me back though.

Top Bottom