• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should I sidegrade my system and buy 3070?

Xellos

4790 + 3070 would probably be fine for cross-generation games at 1440p. Not sure for games built around PS5/XSX since they're 8-core/16-thread Ryzen and have much faster RAM/SSD, but you could always upgrade the rest of the system later if needed. It will probably be more difficult to maintain 60fps as time goes on. Even for something like Cyberpunk I'm not sure if 4790 will be enough for a consistent 60fps. I'm in the same boat (4790 non-k + 1070) and am waiting to upgrade everything in one go.

Gamers Nexus did a video on 4790k/4690k + 2080 ti back in late 2019 if you want to see how it compares to newer CPUs.

4790 + 3070 would probably be fine for cross-generation games at 1440p. Not sure for games built around PS5/XSX since they're 8-core/16-thread Ryzen and have much faster RAM/SSD, but you could always upgrade the rest of the system later if needed. It will probably be more difficult to maintain 60fps as time goes on. Even for something like Cyberpunk I'm not sure if 4790 will be enough for a consistent 60fps. I'm in the same boat (4790 non-k + 1070) and am waiting to upgrade everything in one go.

Gamers Nexus did a video on 4790k/4690k + 2080 ti back in late 2019 if you want to see how it compares to newer CPUs.
Yeah, i am figuring i would get 3070 this year and do a full upgrade next year . Like you set, cross gen game is probably still fine for now

notseqi

i am on 1440p monitor. Issue, it is one of those DVI only Shimian monitor
If you are not upgrading your screen and you are playing mainly on 1440p you will be fine for a long time. I would skip first upgrades, wait for Zen3, then ask again what you want or decide on the facts given on here. The 'I need a new PC'-thread is biased to Intel systems from Leonidas, which is not a problem, but being aware of it helps. He is no Hazaro.

A minor update to my situration. I decide to clean up my case for once and find... several... issue lol. It turn out one of my cpu fan on A70 is busted. A70 is one fo those huge pipe dual fan cooler so even with 1 fan down it is still working fine but that promot me to think is it worth replacing the fan. with 1 fan active my final fantasy xiv run at roughtly 40 ish degree and control run around 50 ish degree. Debating should i replace the fan and clean up the cooler and reapply thermal pasta/AS.

Also, it also turn out a few months ago i was poking around the fan on my case since it was making a very high frequcny noise i ... knocked out my asus strix 1070 fan-c.

notseqi

A minor update to my situration. I decide to clean up my case for once and find... several... issue lol. It turn out one of my cpu fan on A70 is busted. A70 is one fo those huge pipe dual fan cooler so even with 1 fan down it is still working fine but that promot me to think is it worth replacing the fan. with 1 fan active my final fantasy xiv run at roughtly 40 ish degree and control run around 50 ish degree. Debating should i replace the fan and clean up the cooler and reapply thermal pasta/AS.

Also, it also turn out a few months ago i was poking around the fan on my case since it was making a very high frequcny noise i ... knocked out my asus strix 1070 fan-c.

50 degrees are super ok, should you want to give that system to somebody else when you are updating new thermal paste would be nice. DDR4 is at it's end, should you feel the need for holding out for upgrades, get a 3070/3080 or the equivalent revealed AMD card 'now' and get a full refresh on AMD processors with DDR5.

I'm still rocking a 4 core 4690k overclocked to 4.5 GHz. Only this past spring did I finally upgrade my 8 GB to 16 GB and my 770 to a 1660 Super. Next year I'll get a new mainboard, cpu and ram.

DonMigs85

I figure a 10 or 12-core Intel/Ryzen system should be good for 100+FPS gameplay for the entirety of the next console gen. Maybe even a decently clocked 8-core CPU. 6-core chips might become stutterfests the way quad cores are now in some titles.

Top Bottom