• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Disney hold Kathleen Kennedy responsible for the fall of Star Wars brand?

Harlock

hJbeBN5.png

VertigoOA

Banned
There’s no way to fix Star Wars without selling it back to Lucas and having him redo the whole damn thing.

it’s over.

Kathleen Kennedy, Rian Johnson and discount Spielberg fucked it all up in the worst way.

dead ip

LucasArtS was a legendary game developer. A trailblazer in the pc realm just as Lucasfilm was an innovative force in film. Shutting it down... Right then you knew Disney is fucking clueless.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
This is looking like it will make a very significant amount less than the 2nd movie of the series. When your finale is doing this relatively poorly, you know the audiences just didn't care about how it ended. And I can't blame them.

What is there to care about? They ruined the best character idea they've had in a long time (Finn) and there's no meaningful characterization for the main character (Rey). Kylo looked like he could have been an interesting character, but never quite got there. And Poe is a glorified extra. What reason have they given us to care in any way whatsoever about the ending of this story?

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
This is looking like it will make a very significant amount less than the 2nd movie of the series. When your finale is doing this relatively poorly, you know the audiences just didn't care about how it ended. And I can't blame them.

What is there to care about? They ruined the best character idea they've had in a long time (Finn) and there's no meaningful characterization for the main character (Rey). Kylo looked like he could have been an interesting character, but never quite got there. And Poe is a glorified extra. What reason have they given us to care in any way whatsoever about the ending of this story?

A lot to agree with here. I was really interested to see where Finn would go - there was definitely some potential to do something interesting with him. Poe.. honestly I'd struggle to pick him out in a line-up, he was just bland, and the problems with Rey are well-documented.

Grinchy

Banned
A lot to agree with here. I was really interested to see where Finn would go - there was definitely some potential to do something interesting with him. Poe.. honestly I'd struggle to pick him out in a line-up, he was just bland, and the problems with Rey are well-documented.
Imagine how fucking great it would have been if Finn was the main character. We'd see what led him to becoming a stormtrooper, the mental and emotional torture he faced from Phasma, his commanding officer. Maybe she tormented him more than most and took a fucked up joy in it.

His disobeying a direct order to murder innocents and his escape would have had so much more meaning, and his fighting back against the extremely powerful enemy he barely escaped from who traumatized him for years of his life would have had more meaning too. He'd have a real fear of joining the resistance and the audience would be able to feel it along with him.

Last edited:

manfestival

I am kinda surprised about the amount of hate that JJ is getting in here. LIke... I kinda get it about Rian Johnson and others in other IPs but... I havw always found him to be pretty solid in his line of work and pretty consistent. I get people are really bitter about the Star Wars situation. He deserves some critique for sure but the blame should go to the person that gets paid the big money to accept responsibility. Also find it weird that people are just saying that people are inferring that he is bad or has no good products.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
more fuckery to add to the pile. this is old news but it seems weird when you consider what we know now. does anyone remember when Kennedy was going around calling Todd Fischer "confused" because Leia was actually not going to be in IX?
In April 2017, Fisher told various media outlets that his sister would be featured in the upcoming film, but Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy quickly shot it down and said he was “confused.”

“Sadly, Carrie will not be in ‘Nine,’ ” Kennedy told ABC News at the time. “But we’ll see a lot of her in ‘Eight,’ which is great.

Todd Fisher “was probably confused because we finished everything in ‘Eight,’ and Carrie is absolutely phenomenal in the movie,” Kennedy continued. “We’re so happy that we were able to complete shooting in the summer. Unfortunately, Carrie passed away.”
Warning, Star Wars fans, this is a MAJOR bummer! Just days after Carrie Fisher’s brother Todd Fisher confirmed that the iconic actress would appear in Star Wars: Episode IX, Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy is setting the record straight.

“Sadly, Carrie will not be in IX,” she revealed to ABC News. “We finished everything [with Leia] in VIII, and Carrie is absolutely phenomenal in the movie. And we’re so happy that we were able to complete shooting in the summer. Unfortunately, Carrie passed away. So, by the time we were well underway with Episode IX, in our thoughts we had not written the script yet. But we’ve regrouped. We started over again in Jan., so, sadly, Carrie will not be in IX.”

“But we will see a lot of Carrie in VIII,” Kathleen assured fans. Wait, so what happened with Todd? He said that he and Carrie’s daughter Billie Lourd signed over permission to Disney to use footage of Carrie in the next movie. “Both of us were like, ‘Yes, how do you take her out of it?’” he said. “And the answer is you don’t. She’s as much a part of it as anything… I think the legacy should continue. I’m not the only part in that equation, but I think the people deserve to have her.” When Kathleen was asked about it, she said simply: “he was probably confused.”

weird that they went back on this. it really feels like they realized how fucked they were and decided to use Fischer as a shield from critisism. she was never really meant to be a big part of the ST, that was all seemingly retconned in. like every other part of this trilogy.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Even if you love every new Star Wars movie, even if you love the way she turned Star Wars into a grrrrl power fantasy, Kathleen Kennedy has done an amazingly bad job. How many times have directors quit, plans reshuffled, movies reshot, etc.? This is just poor management. Her vision was poor, her leadership was bad, the output is awful, and the brand is tanked. Who else do you blame for all this?

I think the fact that Feige has stepped in says it all really.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
it seems like exceedingly poor form and straight up hypocritical to come out and publicly call the recently bereaved "confused" when you don't exactly know what the fuck you are doing.

Last edited:

GreyHorace

more fuckery to add to the pile. this is old news but it seems weird when you consider what we know now. does anyone remember when Kennedy was going around calling Todd Fischer "confused" because Leia was actually not going to be in IX?

weird that they went back on this. it really feels like they realized how fucked they were and decided to use Fischer as a shield from critisism. she was never really meant to be a big part of the ST, that was all seemingly retconned in. like every other part of this trilogy.
Yep. That's not a good look.

Jesus Christ, she should have just shut up and said 'No Comment'. Now she looks like a scumbag using Carrie Fisher to try and win back some goodwill from the angry fandom. Guess what Kathleen? You really shouldn't have insulted the fandom and pursued this mythical progressive audience who doesn't give a shit about Star Wars.

I don't know what the future holds, but hopefully Disney has learned their lesson from this debacle and are now in full damage control mode to try and restore Star Wars as a brand. The success of The Mandalorian and Jedi Fallen Order have won some goodwill back. But we're a long way from anyone but the diehard fans getting hyped for a new movie set in the universe.

Top Bottom