• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shocking News: FIFA admits bribes were taken for 1998 and 2010 World Cup bid process

Status
Not open for further replies.
and is now attempting to recoup the money.

http://www.bigstory.ap.org/article/...-admits-world-cup-hosting-bribes-asks-us-cash
http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2016/03/16/fifa-admits-votes-bought-world-cup-bids

AP said:
GENEVA (AP) — FIFA acknowledged Wednesday that past World Cups were awarded based on bribes, and the organization wants U.S. prosecutors to give it "tens of millions of dollars" seized from the former FIFA officials who took the cash.

FIFA submitted a 22-page claim to the U.S. Attorney's Office in New York on Tuesday that seeks a big share in restitution from more than $190 million already forfeited by soccer and marketing officials who pleaded guilty in the sprawling corruption case.

Tens of millions of dollars more is likely to be collected by U.S. authorities when sentences are handed down, and from dozens of officials currently indicted but who have denied bribery charges or are fighting extradition.

FIFA claims it is the victim of corrupt individuals, despite widespread criticism that bribe-taking was embedded in its culture in the presidencies of Joao Havelange and Sepp Blatter, who was forced from office after 17 years by the current scandal.

"The convicted defendants abused the positions of trust they held at FIFA and other international football organizations and caused serious and lasting damage to FIFA," FIFA President Gianni Infantino said Wednesday in a statement. "The monies they pocketed belonged to global football and were meant for the development and promotion of the game. FIFA as the world governing body of football wants that money back and we are determined to get it no matter how long it takes."

In documents seen by The Associated Press, FIFA asks for:

— $28.2 million for years of payments, including bonuses, flights and daily expenses, to officials it now says are corrupt

— $10 million for the "theft" of money that FIFA officials transferred as bribes to then-executive committee members to vote for South Africa as 2010 World Cup host

— "substantial" cost of legal bills since separate U.S. and Swiss federal probes of corruption in international soccer were revealed last May

— damages for harm to its reputation, plus other bribes and kickbacks for media rights to non-FIFA competitions but "which were made possible because of the value of the FIFA brand"

"FIFA has become notable for the defendants' bribery and corruption, not its many good works," lawyers for soccer's world body state in the claim. "FIFA is entitled to restitution for this harm to its business relationships, reputation and intangible property."

FIFA's grab for a share of the money sets up a battle with two of its regional confederations — CONMEBOL, the South American confederation, and CONCACAF, the body running soccer in North America. It was officials and competitions from those regions that were most involved in the corruption crisis.

It also signals a change in strategy for FIFA, after months of senior officials distancing Zurich from the scandal, instead blaming confederations which are beyond its control.

Most of the already seized money — $151.7 million — will come from Brazilian marketing executive Jose Hawilla, whose group of agencies were heavily involved with matches CONCACAF and CONMEBOL controlled but not FIFA directly.

more at links

massoluk

Banned
I'm surprised. FIFA always seemed like organization of responsible selfless people with united passion for the love of the game.

/s

DiracSea

Banned
Just shut the whole "company" down. Football should be treated more respectfully, it's a sports that connects people from all over the world, of all level of wealth. Yet, football is ruled by the most corrupt people, making it less about the sports itself, and more about millions and billions of dollar, about business and money.

It is so disgraceful and, truly, disgusting.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
This is confusing...

The monies they pocketed belonged to global football and were meant for the development and promotion of the game.

Didn't this money come from individual countries bidding for the world cup? Where's the link to Fifa? Why is their money?

Why should their legal bills be paid from this money also? I mean this was as a result of corruption within Fifa!

It's like 'oh we did something bad involving money...please pay our lawyers from money seized during investigation of our wrong doing" ?

I presume I'm missing a piece of the puzzle here, or Fifa is just incorrigible.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
FIFA is completely innocent. The organization was merely the innocent victim of rampant corruption from the vast majority of its advisors, regular members, committee members and a succession of FIFA presidents.

gutshot

This is confusing...

Didn't this money come from individual countries bidding for the world cup? Where's the link to Fifa? Why is their money?

Why should their legal bills be paid from this money also? I mean this was as a result of corruption within Fifa!

It's like 'oh we did something bad involving money...please pay our lawyers from money seized during investigation of our wrong doing" ?

I presume I'm missing a piece of the puzzle here, or Fifa is just incorrigible.

My understanding is that the guys at the top gave money to smaller countries and federations under the guise of improving football in their country. In actuality it was a bribe and the heads of those small federations just pocketed the money. Both sides knew that is what was going on, but now the leaders of FIFA are trying to play dumb and act like they had no idea these guys were just pocketing the money and want to get it back.

Oozer3993

Only these two?

Those are the only two mentioned so far in the Department of Justice investigation. Of course, a lot of the same people voted on the host for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups too so this does put FIFA in an interesting position in regards to those.

So who is going to go to jail or be punished?

There are currently over a dozen people awaiting trial. Some are already in custody, and others have already pleaded guilty.

Savitar

It's not who made bribes at this point and won, it's who didn't do any bribes and managed to get one.

Which is probably none.

The Hermit

Shocking news should be in all capitals, because duh

I stopped watching soccer as a "serious" sport like 3 years ago, when it was becoming too clear how rigged everything was.

Is the request for part of the seized money from corrupt officials unusual?

That part really surprised me; I don't see how Fifa deserves any of the illegal bribe money that it was dealing with.

gutshot

but not for the one set to take place in the fucking desert. absolute joke.

Well the Justice Dept hasn't brought any bribery charges in connection with that one, so FIFA isn't going to admit to it. But it's the same countries involved in the bribes for these two elections which are now confirmed to have been bought (or attempted to in Morocco's case), so it could only be a matter of time before the Qatar election is brought into question as well.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
NO! I, for one, am shocked at this development.

Loretta Lynch doing god's work saving the beautiful game.

NH Apache

Banned
I find it amazing how FIFA separates itself from its employees. An employee was caught in a bribe scandal and the employer wants to use the bribe money to pay itself back for costs incurred by the employee.

Amazing leap of logic.

As a Brazilian, I demand a rematch for '98

This is more legit than what FIFA is saying.

Lkr

its crazy that our justice department cares more about fifa scandals than scandals in our own domestic leagues

Joe

National teams deserve heavy scrutiny for not boycotting FIFA.

I deserve scrutiny for still watching :(

Oozer3993

Is the request for part of the seized money from corrupt officials unusual?

That part really surprised me; I don't see how Fifa deserves any of the illegal bribe money that it was dealing with.

I find it amazing how FIFA separates itself from its employees. An employee was caught in a bribe scandal and the employer wants to use the bribe money to pay itself back for costs incurred by the employee.

Amazing leap of logic.

This is more legit than what FIFA is saying.

That's the Department of Justice's logic. Their investigation has categorized FIFA as a victim. As such, as far as the courts are concerned, the money was stolen from them so they are entitled to ask for it back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom