• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Andrew Wilson tells staff it’s been ‘impeded’ by the FIFA brand: ‘It’s four letters on a box’

Plantoid

This is a mistake, people want to play as big known teams and players, people wanna be mbappe in game, if they lose the rights it will be over

ZywyPL

Banned
This is a mistake, people want to play as big known teams and players, people wanna be mbappe in game, if they lose the rights it will be over

If there's a better alternative, yes. But if no company decides to pay FIFA for the license the odds will be even, meaning EA is still gonna have the best, most played football game in the world. And ditching Fifa would even be in EA's favor, I can already see custom creator for each team member, with stat/RPG elements, and with appearance/apparel stuff as MTX. So that when you play against your buddy or some stranger online, your playing with YOUR team, the one you crafted s o carefully, meaning every match, every win and lose would feel that much more personal.

HTK

Banned
FIFA is being stupid here and it won't work. EA needs to hold their ground and if push comes to shove bring out a new name. FIFA will ultimately lose money if they go that route, I don't see any other players coming in or having anything ready to go game wise and even if they do it won't be anywhere near as polished as EA's game. EA is the best at making this type of game and FIFA won't recoup their money through other partnerships...This is why I don't see this happening, it just doesn't make any sense.

cormack12

Gold Member
With the spectacular fuck up by Konami, EA are the sole provider at the moment. Fifa is as synonymous as 'EA Sports - it's in the game'.

EA Sports Football will do fine and still be called Fifa by us for for years.

Plantoid

If there's a better alternative, yes. But if no company decides to pay FIFA for the license the odds will be even, meaning EA is still gonna have the best, most played football game in the world. And ditching Fifa would even be in EA's favor, I can already see custom creator for each team member, with stat/RPG elements, and with appearance/apparel stuff as MTX. So that when you play against your buddy or some stranger online, your playing with YOUR team, the one you crafted s o carefully, meaning every match, every win and lose would feel that much more personal.
I hope you're right

JLB

Banned
Doubt that. Especially if a couple more Football games come out by then

Forget about that. A proper football game would take 5 to 7 years to develop, plus a monumental initial investment.
Its like saying: Lets do a competitor for Google Ads. Yeah, good luck with that.

Kokoloko85

Forget about that. A proper football game would take 5 to 7 years to develop, plus a monumental initial investment.
Its like saying: Lets do a competitor for Google Ads. Yeah, good luck with that.

I doubt the morons who buy “FIFA” yearly will know the difference between EA’s next football game and something like PFL with Ronaldo on the front cover.
If theres not a football game called FIFA, its up for grabs after awhile. Nothing like Google ads

shoplifter

There's a separate licensing body for players. Teams can be licensed individually or by league/governing body, or some combination of both. It's theoretically possible that some individual clubs or competitions wouldn't license themselves out without FIFA branding, but it wouldn't be anything they couldn't overcome.

Hell, all they really need to do is let users install option files just like PES. There's a much larger community so it probably wouldn't hurt them that much if they publicized it enough.

Ozriel

M$FT
I doubt the morons who buy “FIFA” yearly will know the difference between EA’s next football game and something like PFL with Ronaldo on the front cover.
If theres not a football game called FIFA, its up for grabs after awhile. Nothing like Google ads

You have no idea what you’re talking about.

All EA would need to do is release a patch for their last FIFA game that changes the name. In about a month, 99% of their player base would know the new name.
And of course, given that it’d take years before any competitor can show up, they’d have properly cemented the new name with consumers by then.

SegaManAU

Gold Member
After milking that FIFA name for decades, that's the thanks they give?

tmaJ0LC.jpg

Last edited:

Jinzo Prime

Just a reminder to everyone: EA does not need the FIFA license to have player likenesses in their games. That is handled by FIFPRO and its American football equivalent is the NFLPA.

EA absolutly could release a football (soccer) game with player likenesses, teams, jerseys, etc, without FIFA's name on the box. An NFL game would still require the NFL license to get team colors and jerseys.

FIFA isn't that bad, it's just sour grapes from our FA and media who want football to be controlled completely from these shores and not by Swiss, Itslians etc.

So I'm not siding with this EA corporate plum. The way he's talking sounds like a nightmare of a game.

You can tell there is some bullshit in his comments ("fast, fast, fast") but ultimately I don't think he's wrong. Paying a ridiculous amount of money for the license when you don't even need it for the club rights is kind of pointless.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
They’ll sell 95% of their usual volume the first year after the name change.

100% the next year.

Are they able to use names and likeness of actual players? If not I can't imagine it having the same success.

Portugeezer

EA knows from the past (by getting their shit pushed in by Konami) that it is possible to succeed without the FIFA name. "EA Sports" brand is also recognised in an of itself.

After milking that FIFA name for decades, that's the thanks they give?
PES shat in them for a few years, despite the FIFA name.

Lognor

Banned
Seeing as they have put out various modes beyond traditional 11 vs 11 I am intrigued.

Does he want to add guns?

Or Rugby?
Nah. I'm guessing what he is saying is that anything outside of the traditional 11 vs 11 has needed to be signed off on by FIFA and they've been a pain in the ass with approving things and maybe it's delayed additional content is past games.

I wonder if they lost the Fifa license if the series would really tank for EA. I don't care about soccer so I have no clue.

Kokoloko85

You have no idea what you’re talking about.

All EA would need to do is release a patch for their last FIFA game that changes the name. In about a month, 99% of their player base would know the new name.
And of course, given that it’d take years before any competitor can show up, they’d have properly cemented the new name with consumers by then.
Sure it takes more than just a patch with all the licenses involved.

And when the mainstream fans go to look for FIFA 2024 and cant find it its gonna make a difference to sales.
Mums will see PFL with a cover of Ronaldo and whatever EA decides to Call there next football game, Im not saying its gonna be competitive but an EA football game without the FIFA cover and title is gonna take a hit in sales.

FIFA, the name is what sells, its in the name

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

EA knows from the past (by getting their shit pushed in by Konami) that it is possible to succeed without the FIFA name. "EA Sports" brand is also recognised in an of itself.

PES shat in them for a few years, despite the FIFA name.

But they still had the FIFA name and licenses and PES just started to go down hill.

If Konami kept making good PES games, PES would still be doing great.
EA just adjusted its marketing while PES’s gameplay got worse and worse. EA’s football games survived because of the FIFA name. Without it and the licenses they would be dead in the water if PES was still good and had licenses

Ozriel

M$FT
Sure it takes more than just a patch with all the licenses involved.

And when the mainstream fans go to look for FIFA 2024 and cant find it its gonna make a difference to sales.
Mums will see PFL with a cover of Ronaldo and whatever EA decides to Call there next football game, Im not saying its gonna be competitive but an EA football game without the FIFA cover and title is gonna take a hit in sales.

FIFA, the name is what sells, its in the name

Like I said, you’re not thinking this through.

The ‘mainstream fans’ are the ones that buy fifa every year. As soon as EA releases an update to the game, every single one of those mainstream fans would know the game is now EA Football.

For the handful that might not update and might not know, they’ll go to the shops the next year and find out the name change.

It’ll take YEARS before FIFA can find a viable developer to put out another football game. Are you suggesting that mainstream buyers won’t have played their usual annual fix in the interim?

I was probably too conservative with my 95% prediction

Kokoloko85

Like I said, you’re not thinking this through.

The ‘mainstream fans’ are the ones that buy fifa every year. As soon as EA releases an update to the game, every single one of those mainstream fans would know the game is now EA Football.

For the handful that might not update and might not know, they’ll go to the shops the next year and find out the name change.

It’ll take YEARS before FIFA can find a viable developer to put out another football game. Are you suggesting that mainstream buyers won’t have played their usual annual fix in the interim?

I was probably too conservative with my 95% prediction

I still think its downhill here for EA and football games unless they change up the gameplay a bit

OldBoyGamer

Banned
But they still had the FIFA name and licenses and PES just started to go down hill.

If Konami kept making good PES games, PES would still be doing great.
EA just adjusted its marketing while PES’s gameplay got worse and worse. EA’s football games survived because of the FIFA name. Without it and the licenses they would be dead in the water if PES was still good and had licenses
I think the devils in the detail on this.

PES began to suffer for four main reasons
1. EA ramped up its marketing for FIFA to a point where Konami simply couldn’t compete. They began to lose players to FIFA
2. EA sorted their shit out with regards to the engine and gameplay of FIFA. Again PES lost market share and players
3. EA paid for more and more exclusivity with regards to names, kits, likenesses etc. this pushed PES’s authenticity further and further back. Authenticity is crucial to many FIFA players and played a major part in PES’s downfall
4. Konami failed to invest in PES. The engine grew more and more tired with each new release and the dev team struggled to keep up with the tech of the PS3 and then PS4 sand the gap between the two games became a gulf in almost every way. PES survived the FIFA branding in the old PS1 & PS2 days because it had superior gameplay. As soon as it lost that battle, it never recovered and it has now become this sad shadow of its former glorious self

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

I think the devils in the detail on this.

PES began to suffer for four main reasons
1. EA ramped up its marketing for FIFA to a point where Konami simply couldn’t compete. They began to lose players to FIFA
2. EA sorted their shit out with regards to the engine and gameplay of FIFA. Again PES lost market share and players
3. EA paid for more and more exclusivity with regards to names, kits, likenesses etc. this pushed PES’s authenticity further and further back. Authenticity is crucial to many FIFA players and played a major part in PES’s downfall
4. Konami failed to invest in PES. The engine grew more and more tired with each new release and the dev team struggled to keep up with the tech of the PS3 and then PS4 sand the gap between the two games became a gulf in almost every way. PES survived the FIFA branding in the old PS1 & PS2 days because it had superior gameplay. As soon as it lost that battle, it never recovered and it has now become this sad shadow of its former glorious self

All of thats true.
I just dont think EA really improved their gameplay. A bit.
I played it last year and it felt the same as 2013 which felt the same as 2006 lol

OldBoyGamer

Banned
All of thats true.
I just dont think EA really improved their gameplay. A bit.
I played it last year and it felt the same as 2013 which felt the same as 2006 lol
Yes sorry. I meant like years ago. RTTWC 98 was a standout year for fifa. Then they dropped down again. But a few years later they realised ‘oh wait. Are you saying if we make a good game, more people will buy it?’

That genius revelation led to them spending a lot of money over many years to make the best football game on the market.

Then of course they added FUT and that’s all she wrote.

Today. I find both fifa and pes pretty stale tbh.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
What a pompous statement. The video game is bigger than the actual sport/FIFA segment. Fucking LOL.

Lets be honest, who gets excited about governing bodies? People are fans of players, teams, managers etc. Not fucking bureaucrats!

He's fundamentally right. FIFA does mean more in terms of videogame branding because its traditionally been associated with an assurances that likeness and name rights will be part of the package. So although you can say that the branding "adds value" that value isn't something intrinsic to how people think of FIFA as an institution.

Top Bottom