• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

PranooY

I just finished this game. Can someone link me to some article/post which properly explains the plot to fill in the blanks in my understanding?
Loved the game, btw.

myco666

I just finished this game. Can someone link me to some article/post which properly explains the plot to fill in the blanks in my understanding?
Loved the game, btw.

Here. That post should cover up most of the plot. Check the thread for more.

So Mikami just tweeted for the first time in nearly 2 years

WjTmtsn.png

Between chrome and google translate (lol) I believe it says

Eh?

Hmm... hopefully we will hear about this soon. Doesn't sound TEW related though.

i want to pick this up, but im unsure, is it frustrating?

could it be compared to TLOU?

i love TLOU and would like to play something similar, i understand TEW is survival horror but from what ive seen i could compare it to TLOU...

chapter 6 took me several days to beat and died hundreds of times and today I completed chapters 7,8,9 in one sitting...

what the fuck was mikami/tango thinking there, the difficulty in that one chapter is gigantic.

so far everything else has been doable, the only part that presented a challenge was the cabin at the end of chapter 9, there I also died lots of times but at the end I also beat them.

tomorrow I'll do chapter 10 and if it goes smooth then chapter 11 too.

I upgraded the critical on the handgun. let's see how that turns out. I am leaving some gel for later too.

including the bullets we get from one locker?

do you know perhaps by heart the location of that ammo? I wouldn't want to miss it and so far I only remember one on a ledge in chapter 11 (12?) I know where it is.

off the top of my head in the game (not lockers, there is more in there) 6 in the gun when you first get it.

Another 5/6 Rounds in the baby carriage before the double fake ruvik fight.

An additional 2 in a brief case you need to jump across a gap to get to right after the gate and trolley section.

Another 3 rounds outiside the first save room in chapter 13

6+5+2+3=16 bullets total plus whatever you find in the lockers which i think is a full 6.

sphinx

the piano man
Chapter 10 wasn't necessarily hard but tricky. for some reason I died way too many times in the first part with the giant blades.

after that, the part with the too big guys that carry pieces of wood on their arms, those I obliterated them with 4 explosive bolts, the idea was to freeze them and open the gate but I haven't upgraded the ice bolts so they wouldn't stay frozen long enough.

Laura is together with the fucking dog in chapter 6 the most annoying boss ever. She is right in front of me, I shoot the fire harpoon... and it misses, what the fuck is that. I avoided her, I already found the two extra keys in the lockers so I don't need it to open all of them.

the last boss was hard but very manageable, I shot its 4 heads right at the very start with the rifle, then a grenade and it turned pruple, woot, after that it was easy.

off the top of my head in the game (not lockers, there is more in there) 6 in the gun when you first get it.

Another 5/6 Rounds in the baby carriage before the double fake ruvik fight.

An additional 2 in a brief case you need to jump across a gap to get to right after the gate and trolley section.

Another 3 rounds outiside the first save room in chapter 13

6+5+2+3=16 bullets total plus whatever you find in the lockers which i think is a full 6.

thank a lot. I started chapter 11 and missed the magnum already :( but I am at the very start so I'll restart the chapter.

myco666

i love TLOU and would like to play something similar, i understand TEW is survival horror but from what ive seen i could compare it to TLOU...

I would say it is jankier version of TLOU that has more emphasis on the action than stealth. You can use stealth to kill bunch of enemies but most likely you will have to take everyone head-on. It can be frustrating at times since you will die very easily in this game. Most people seem to have deathcount over 100 for going through the game. How frustrating the game is depends on how fast you learn to play the game since if you figure out good strategies early you can use them almost throughout the game. IMO TEW is better than TLOU when it comes to gameplay.

Chapter 10 wasn't necessarily hard but tricky. for some reason I died way too many times in the first part with the giant blades.

after that, the part with the too big guys that carry pieces of wood on their arms, those I obliterated them with 4 explosive bolts, the idea was to freeze them and open the gate but I haven't upgraded the ice bolts so they wouldn't stay frozen long enough.

Laura is together with the fucking dog in chapter 6 the most annoying boss ever. She is right in front of me, I shoot the fire harpoon... and it misses, what the fuck is that. I avoided her, I already found the two extra keys in the lockers so I don't need it to open all of them.

the last boss was hard but very manageable, I shot its 4 heads right at the very start with the rifle, then a grenade and it turned pruple, woot, after that it was easy.

thank a lot. I started chapter 11 and missed the magnum already :( but I am at the very start so I'll restart the chapter.

I thought the dog was way more annoying than Laura but I really like Laura especially the ch10 "fight".

Nemmy

I can't compare it to TLOU as I didn't play that, but TEW can be immensely frustrating to some people. If you get frustrated when dying a lot (and I mean a lot, a single trap can instantly kill you, as do most bosses and even some regular enemies), then it might not be for you.
If you don't mind that and want some challenging action with scarce resources, then I'd recommend it.

Demoskinos

So any general tips for Akumu mode? I've gotten through the first three chapters now. Being very patient trying for stealth kills using bottles to get free stealth kills on charging enemies. Only really using bullets to detonate bombs to kill groups of enemies at once ect...

Just kind of want some general tips. Planning on picking away at this over the next couple of weeks so I don't go insane but I do find it sort of fun in a masochistic sort of way.

So Mikami just tweeted for the first time in nearly 2 years

WjTmtsn.png

Between chrome and google translate (lol) I believe it says

Eh?

Yeah I think that might be referring to a completely new project as well. Thread worthy news imo even though it's just speculation at this point.

I guess this would mean that the TEW sequel would not be handled by Mikami, that's not good news.

Even worse news would be that future titles are going to be stealth games now. Since the DLC's reception was positive.

-MD-

Even worse news would be that future titles are going to be stealth games now. Since the DLC's reception was positive.

Well TEW was partly stealth so I wouldn't have an issue with a sequel polishing that aspect, giving us larger areas like chapter 3 and making stealth more viable throughout more of the game. They won't throw away the gunplay.

I know Mikami was trying to give a select few Tango employees (Shigenori Nishikawa, Naoki Katakai and Ikumi Nakamura) a shot at directing so if he was going to start a new project I could see him giving the job to one of them.

sphinx

the piano man
quite frankly I can't decide what parts of the game I like more.

BUT of all my playthroughs in all difficulties (working on akumu now but nearing the end now), the must exciting and thrilling moment came while doing Chapter 2 in akumu difficulty.

easily the most joy I've gotten out of this game.

pure unadultered no-call-of-duty-bullshit survival horror.

Sneaking in the dark behind the houses planning my strategy to kill everyone off felt epic and very rewarding.

going to the optional house to get a key and escaping from death had my heart pumping fast.

more of that is welcome.

quite frankly I can't decide what parts of the game I like more.

BUT of all my playthroughs in all difficulties (working on akumu now but nearing the end now), the must exciting and thrilling moment came while doing Chapter 2 in akumu difficulty.

easily the most joy I've gotten out of this game.

pure unadultered no-call-of-duty-bullshit survival horror.

Sneaking in the dark behind the houses planning my strategy to kill everyone off felt epic and very rewarding.

going to the optional house to get a key and escaping from death had my heart pumping fast.

more of that is welcome.

Ah chapter 2, I guess I also felt a sense of accomplishment after I got through it in Nightmare, or maybe I was just was glad it was over lol.

I felt that the best of the game was chapter 7, where you are racing against time and a quick boss that never stops spawning. Fast pace, but also high stakes.

Overall, I felt that the bosses were the best thing about the game, they offer a great balance between survival horror and action.

Nemmy

Ah chapter 2, I guess I also felt a sense of accomplishment after I got through it in Nightmare, or maybe I was just was glad it was over lol.

I felt that the best of the game was chapter 7, where you are racing against time and a quick boss that never stops spawning. Fast pace, but also high stakes.

Overall, I felt that the bosses were the best thing about the game, they offer a great balance between survival horror and action.

Chapter 2 (and, to a lesser extent, 3) on Nightmare is really something else. I ran completely out of ammo and ended up scavenging the whole area for something - anything! - to kill the last enemy with, since he was blocking my way out and I suck at the whole sneaking thing. I ended up finding a bottle and I must admit, never before was I so happy to see a bottle in a videogame.
It was incredibly tense, took me probably about an hour to beat and it was time well spent. But frankly? I cannot imagine playing the whole game like this. TEW has a whole bunch of moments that get my heart pumping, but I probably wouldn't finish it if it was all as tight as chapter 2 on Nightmare is.

But a potential sequel without Mikami at the helm would be disappointing as all hell, if the DLCs are anything to go by.

Demoskinos

Chapter 4 of AKUMU down. Is it safe to say that chapter 6 is going to be the worst in the game? Can't say I'm looking forward to that gauntlet of enemies followed by fuckface chainsaw dude.

-MD-

Chapter 4 of AKUMU down. Is it safe to say that chapter 6 is going to be the worst in the game? Can't say I'm looking forward to that gauntlet of enemies followed by fuckface chainsaw dude.

Yeah chapter 6 is the worst. That section of chapter 6 actually isn't that bad, it's the burning building that's bad.

Pretty much smooth sailing after that, up until that bastard door in chapter 11.

sphinx

the piano man
Yeah chapter 6 is the worst. That section of chapter 6 actually isn't that bad, it's the burning building that's bad.

Pretty much smooth sailing after that, up until that bastard door in chapter 11.

I just finished chapter 11 today and took me all night... somehow harder than chapter 10

that bastard door made my life miserable but after a while I figured out how to go for it.

.- first 3 enemies: 1 Explosive Bolt to their feet, they all die
.- next 3 enemies: stand to the side of the metal structure so they are forced to come to me, shotgun + match, all 3 die together.
.- Snipe the lone sniper in the upper ledge, hidden mother fucker
.- next 3 enemies: shotgun + match and use rifle for the third that goes up the ladder
.- next 2 shotgun + match
.- next 2: eletric bolt + match
.- lone asshole using machine gun: 1 grenade or two, properly placed.
.- trigger checkpoint.

the gondola ride though, holy shit, the end part of it, I am still not sure why I didn't die. I killed like half the enemies that appeared and somehow the attacks of the rest didn't get me....

and then in the gas house, those 4 mother fuckers waiting behind the metal gate/door was unexpected, they raped me the first time but then I used a flash bolt and knifed everyone.

to the guy asking for akumu tips, I think the most important upgrade in the later chapters of the game has been the Fire harpoon for me, it kills fake ruviks in one shot and it makes the the battle against Laura a lot less stressful.

sphinx

the piano man
Today I finished my Akumu Playthrough.

I am happy it's finally over, but I should have left it for last. I still have ONE trophy I have to get, the "no upgrade" trophy. It would have felt more rewarding and would have been the perfect moment to put the game on the shelf for good. It hasn't left my PS4 since January :O (I don't play a lot haha)

on the other hand, I will play this game from the beginning once again one last time, on casual and run through the chapters with a nostalgic feeling. I know I am not playing it ever again after this last time.

so, my final akumu thoughts:

it did become easier as I progressed, I unlocked all lockers and got good gel for it. The last boss encounters, (and I think the complete chapters 14 and 15) felt actually very easy, I wasn't dying every minute like in chapter 4 and 6.

my top hardest moments in my runthrough,

.- Chapter 4, Kidman in the water Container
.- Chapter 6, Houses in fire
.- Chapter 6, the Maze thereafter
.- Chapter 11, The Metal door
.- Chapter 11, riding the Tram thereafter
.- Chpater 12, in the middle part, being ambushed from above

Worst, cheapest most bullshit boss: The Dog in chapter 6. and I may have died more times on another boss, but the dog is pure bullshit. It hides, then runs erratically towards you AND runs into your curve if you try to evade. fuck you Mikami.

I am ashamed though.

:( ....-_-

I died a whooping 1006 times....and I needed 35 hours to beat it... I suck GAF, I know, I just wanted the trophy, Didn't play nightmare mode before.

One last Question regarding story (don't read if you haven't finihed it):

did Kidman really kill Joseph? I mean, is it canon/official that Joseph dies in the game? If yes, fucking bitch, I liked him as my sidekick.

-MD-

Today I finished my Akumu Playthrough.

I am happy it's finally over, but I should have left it for last. I still have ONE trophy I have to get, the "no upgrade" trophy. It would have felt more rewarding and would have been the perfect moment to put the game on the shelf for good. It hasn't left my PS4 since January :O (I don't play a lot haha)

on the other hand, I will play this game from the beginning once again one last time, on casual and run through the chapters with a nostalgic feeling. I know I am not playing it ever again after this last time.

so, my final akumu thoughts:

it did become easier as I progressed, I unlocked all lockers and got good gel for it. The last boss encounters, (and I think the complete chapters 14 and 15) felt actually very easy, I wasn't dying every minute like in chapter 4 and 6.

my top hardest moments in my runthrough,

.- Chapter 4, Kidman in the water Container
.- Chapter 6, Houses in fire
.- Chapter 6, the Maze thereafter
.- Chapter 11, The Metal door
.- Chapter 11, riding the Tram thereafter
.- Chpater 12, in the middle part, being ambushed from above

Worst, cheapest most bullshit boss: The Dog in chapter 6. and I may have died more times on another boss, but the dog is pure bullshit. It hides, then runs erratically towards you AND runs into your curve if you try to evade. fuck you Mikami.

I am ashamed though.

:( ....-_-

I died a whooping 1006 times....and I needed 35 hours to beat it... I suck GAF, I know, I just wanted the trophy, Didn't play nightmare mode before.

One last Question regarding story (don't read if you haven't finihed it):

did Kidman really kill Joseph? I mean, is it canon/official that Joseph dies in the game? If yes, fucking bitch, I liked him as my sidekick.

Congrats. Holy hell 1006 times though, insane.

To answer your question about Joseph, DLC spoilers:

Joseph has a heartbeat if you walk near him in the bathtub when playing as Kidman.

sphinx

the piano man
Rofl, sorry. Should be proud you got through it, I'm sure majority of players gave up or never even attempted it.

that's better ^_^ the funny thing is that I died exactly 6 times in the very last point of the game where you have to
shoot ruvik inside the monster's mouth
. An exact 1000 would have been nice,

people make "I gave up akumu" threads around here :D so yeah many people will just give up or not try. it's very very very hard and punishing, I admit I had next to no strategy, other than trial and error and luck being on my side.

My main weaknesses were bad aiming and very slow reaction to the shortcuts on the Dpad, specially changing bolts, I always forgot the order. if I actually tried and learned to move between the 4 main weapons like a pro I think I would have done a lot better.

Don't worry my man, I'll most likely be right there with you if not more by the time I'm done.

we are here for you (lol I may suck but will give support and cheer you up!), you are gonna make it. DO NOT quit on chapter 6, just make sure you upgrade both sprinting and the flash bolts to level 4 before making it there.

Demoskinos

Boy, this room in chapter 5 with Kidman in the water tank is rough. If it were just me I think I'd be fine. I could just stick and move and slowly pick people off. The fact that I have to make sure Joseph doesn't die as well is making this room a proper nightmare.

The death count really isnt a good indicator. You can manipulate it. It only counts the times you died, and then hit another check point. So if you die or know you are going to die and reload from a save it doesnt count as a death. You also need to do this to get your time down. I tried really hard to get a sub 5 hour no upgrade akumu run but i fucked up a couple of times.

http://i.imgur.com/cNHPcxa.png

Chapter 5s room is learning the spawn locations more than anything and let joesph tank. Lighting bolts are amazing here.

You also need to run up to the second floor before the wave from up there hits. You can usually shotgun the dynamite guys and make out without wasting to much ammo.

Demoskinos

Got the chapter 5 room on my first try today. Must have just been way to tired to focus last night. Still dreading chapter 6 though. :x

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Amazing. Apparently you have to hit the vending machine 15 times and then walk over to the picture for it to fall down, I'm not surprised I missed that one.

Edit: Didn't see this one either https://youtu.be/r5IlRnN_gks?t=17s

Oh my, I wouldn't of thought of what you posted by myself. XD; I wonder if there's any super obtuse weird easter eggs in the main game or the DLC that no one has discovered yet, some of the stuff is pretty cryptic and hidden but been uncovered.

In other Evil Within news, one of the developers of the game (the one who tested Akumu difficulty) posts a video of him taking on the Chapter 10 boss on Akumu difficulty with only his fists.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Any new performance patch released for the game ?
I stopped playing because of it...
Also, I couldn't kill that chained guy in the barn. lol

Arkanius

Oh my, I wouldn't of thought of what you posted by myself. XD; I wonder if there's any super obtuse weird easter eggs in the main game or the DLC that no one has discovered yet, some of the stuff is pretty cryptic and hidden but been uncovered.

In other Evil Within news, one of the developers of the game (the one who tested Akumu difficulty) posts a video of him taking on the Chapter 10 boss on Akumu difficulty with only his fists.

Haha wow, it even looks trivial when you know the moveset.
Look how he keeps at the right distance to trigger only the melee attack.

myco666

Just wow. Incredible stuff.

This looks interesting. Hopefully it is more fun than Kidman DLCs.

sphinx

the piano man

looks like fun, I guess.....

but there have been so many missed opportunities with the DLC, that I it's kind of sad.

Just think about the possibilites,

Joseph DLC often goes separate ways, let's play as him and have him disarming sophisticated bombs and solving riddles or puzzles or something

Marcelo Jimenez DLC have us play as him during his "work" as a collaborator with Ruvik prior to Sebastian's events.

Leslie DLC have us play as him going with him on his path to madness until he is what he becomes in the main game.

I mean, play as the keeper?? :( come on.

Jimenez and Leslie DLC? The fuck? lololol

That sounds 50 times worse than the Keeper, and Joseph wouldn't be that interesting either since he's a complete side character.

Keeper DLC looks interesting, some dumb fun. Wonder if there's any story though. Probably just challenge maps.

sphinx

the piano man

That sounds 50 times worse than the Keeper, and Joseph wouldn't be that interesting either since he's a complete side character.

Keeper DLC looks interesting, some dumb fun. Wonder if there's any story though. Probably just challenge maps.

err.... just like Kidman?? she is as much a secondary character as anyone else in the game, not sure why she got not 1 but 2 DLCs

and yes, anything that gives us more details about the story (like Jimenez or Leslie DLCs) is welcome. I don't see the keeper dlc adding anything to it.

Yeah, Juli wasn't much until her DLC too. Though I wouldn't want more stealth and puzzle solving with Jo, something with more melee combat and crafting would be better.

Demoskinos

Almost got past the rooms at the beginning of chapter 6. I would have done it the second time except I got greedy and tried to get some green gel off the floor. I I've got the flash upgraded to 13sec which is helping quite a lot. I'll get it tonight. :)

Nemmy

GODDAMN that Amalgam Alpha video. The guy made it look easy.

At this point I can't get excited for the new dlc.
I must admit the first two were disappointments.

It looks janky as hell from the preview to me. Would love to be proven wrong though.
And yeah Kidman DLCs were missed opportunity :/

Montresor

Evil Within is now up to 1735 gamerscore with the new DLC.

The devs could not find any way to round that off to 1750? Looks ugly when a game does not have multiples of 250.

myco666

Oh the DLC is coming next week already? Cool. Hopefully it is fun to play and isn't too janky. Having it also in FP is really weird. Would like to have option to change it to TP.

Top Bottom