• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow Man Remastered made me realize how some of these remasters are better left in the past

nkarafo

It's the opposite for me. These remasters make it possible for the better games from the past to be played with more sane controls and improved visuals.

IMO, Shadowman is still a better 3rd person adventure game than 95% of any modern equivalent. At least it wasn't made "for a wider audience" and it doesn't hold my hand like i'm a child.

Doom85

Just because a game is not for you doesn't mean it shouldn't exist.

Busch Beer GIF by Busch

Shadowman back in the day was pretty ho-hum and the ones who rave about it today were most likely in the 5-10 year old range when they played the game on its initial release.

And your absolutely right, a lot of games need to stay in the past…… actually the majority of old games don’t need remasters.

Mr Hyde

I'll clarify....Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain on the PS1......not the PS2 reboot.

Of course. The original is the best one in the franchise. No other game managed to top it. Did you know GoG has released a PC port of it? No more annoying load times. There is even an unofficial patch that cleans up the cut scenes with higher res and adds subtitles to the characters dialogue. Among many other improvements. By far the best version out there.

mdkirby

I enjoyed shadow man back when it was released in the long long ago. But it’s bloody ancient, a quick and dirty remaster for those sort of early-ish 3d games is just not gonna cut it. It needed a full ground up remake/reimagining.

nkarafo

actually the majority of old games don’t need remasters.
The majority of pre-6th gen games need remasters because most of them can benefit from improved controls. Even though the dual analog controller tech appeared during the 5th gen, it didn't really become the standard like it is now until the 6th gen took over. So 5th gen games like Shadowman is very awkward to play on any platform nowadays even if you use third party mappers on PC. The remaster plays perfectly though.

I enjoyed shadow man back when it was released in the long long ago. But it’s bloody ancient, a quick and dirty remaster for those sort of early-ish 3d games is just not gonna cut it. It needed a full ground up remake/reimagining.
While i would also prefer a remake over a remaster, i don't trust any major western developer anymore to pull it off. Most likely they would make it worse in every single way except graphics and controls because it would be made for a "modern audience" meaning more hand holding, more cinematics that take themselves too seriously, less interactivity/exploration, a lot of censorship, modern day politics, etc. So other than graphics and controls, everything else would be most likely worse.

With remasters you at least know the developers are somewhat forced to respect the original direction and intentions. Because a remaster is not supposed to have too many artistic changes and the ones that do get heavily criticized for it. Plus, i'm not sure if Nightdive studio's output counts as "quick and dirty". These are some of the best remasters ever made.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Shadow Man was and always will be a masterpiece. It was 3D Metroidvania before that was ever a thing, and fuck the remaster was more than needed. It allowed them to finish the game, which was originally released missing two big areas that are ultra important to the dark storyline.

I don't care if the gameplay's aged when modern games are fucking CoD Warnuke 34 Zombie attack on Pluto.

Krathoon

Were the PC versions of the Legacy of Kain games good? I remember one of them being buggy to the point it was better to play the PS2 version.

Doczu

Were the PC versions of the Legacy of Kain games good? I remember one of them being buggy to the point it was better to play the PS2 version.
Soul Reaver 1 was a port of the PSX version, so the best way to play that game is emulating the dreamcast port.

Can't say for sure about SR2, but i think thd PS2 was also the prefered version.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Of course. The original is the best one in the franchise. No other game managed to top it. Did you know GoG has released a PC port of it? No more annoying load times. There is even an unofficial patch that cleans up the cut scenes with higher res and adds subtitles to the characters dialogue. Among many other improvements. By far the best version out there.
I only have the Steam deck and I couldn't het GOG to run on it.

mdkirby

Why bother commenting if you’ve only seen screenshots? LMAO!
Because I enjoyed the game when I was a teen, so have an interest in it, and would have 100% played an actual remake (and agree with the OP’s position on it, they either needed to do it properly or not at all).

You don’t need to play it to see from comparison images that they’ve done very little to it, and it looks (and will play) barely any different to how it looked 25ish years ago. Games have changed a LOT since then, and very very few from those days hold up well mechanically, or visually, particularly those pretty early 3d games.

System shock on the other hand looks for more substantive, so I’ll be buying at some point for sure.

Top Bottom