• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Series S Starter bundle available for $220 at Target

reinking

Gold Member
My first instinct when I see a deal like this is to jump on it. I really have no reason to get one of these though. I already have an XBSX and pretty much play all Xbox games on PC anyway. If someone is looking to try out Game Pass or just to have another console around, it is a great deal.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Ah, i think it wont cause that much issue then. That model had a “big” reveal but was pretty much sidelined by the $350 series x holiday sale so it’s practically non-existent. Hell, tbh i wouldnt be surprised if it gets axed before the base model
it would make sense. Just that going from a 300$ series is cheap to a 350$ series s is worth ot to then a 350$ series x is cheap will be weird to some. Xbox would have been better served not doing this 350$ series s IMHO.

The last time both MS and Sony commented on hardware margins, it was 2021 (unless someone said something in more recent FTC filings, but I can't find any reference in quick google searches).

I doubt either Sony or MS are spending as much today manufacturing each new unit as they were 3 years ago.

Inflation tho.

Rockman33

Unlike Sony I still don’t believe Microsoft has reduced the size of their chips. So they could do a refresh and make it cheaper. Ram and memory has definitely come down since release.

Codes 208

it would make sense. Just that going from a 300$ series is cheap to a 350$ series s is worth ot to then a 350$ series x is cheap will be weird to some. Xbox would have been better served not doing this 350$ series s IMHO.
Agreed, or at the very least add a disc-drive. When the 1tb model was announced, the base gilded bundle was $250 so it wouldve made more sense to make the newer 1tb $300 and drop the base model to $250

As-is for $350 though? Eh, not worth it for just another 500gb

Last edited:
I'm thinking they're going to cut down the price of the existing S and X based variants to $200 and $350 permanently, sell the existing inventory to place the Series S 1 TB Black at $300 and the Series X 2 TB White adorably all digital at $400, to position themselves against the PS5 Slim and the Pro later this year.

One other idea I had would be to sell the Series X digital at $449... and make another SKU, lets call it the Series S2, to take the salvage dies. The price of that being how much cost they can shave off while marketing that it is at least a bit better specs than the S.

They could even copy Sony and make the drive available to both for $79 if so inclined. The volume of the S2 being limited to the % of busted dies they get.

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member
They should discontinue this console tbh. Go back to one sku and be aggressive with the pricing on that. The series x is a phenomenal piece of hardware at $399 let alone $350 and should be their main priority.

Series s was a nice little experiment but it didn’t work so let’s move on and give the series x the attention it deserves.
I agree but no shot it’s the best selling Xbox. Outside of these forum patents buy consoles for kids and a <300 console sells.

But wish they would do is make the series x the base going forward and make a pro x

Vroadstar

Amazing value for this quality product.

Look Up Lebron James GIF by ESPN

If you’re still dumb enough to buy this piss little shitbox that’s ruined the Xbox brand in 2024, then I really don’t know what to tell you.

Deerock71

No. Most people are probably getting it for their kids or to play GamePass games I would think.
I own a variety of games (over 100) spanning the original Xbox to the current generation that I play on the Series S. I know I'm probably not most people; I gave my 11 year old the Series X and the Game Pass subscription.

nick776

I think maybe at this point in time it is difficult for a lot of people to invest in the Xbox ecosystem at all. It is clear MSFT is testing the waters with Hi-Fi, Pentiment, etc. as part of an ultimate move to make everything multiplatform. I own a Series X, but going forward I'm not buying any third party games on it because I want to know the games I own are going to be on a system I know will likely always exist instead of being relegated to some sort of OEM console made by Dell, Insignia, or some other garbage brand. I think Xbox irrevocably damaged their brand in the past month--Phil saying what he said to reassure fans was one thing, but then official Xbox "twitter" writing " the biggest games will be more than just one platform" tells you all you need to know. It is equally as troubling to have seen the Series X on firesafe for $349 at Christmas and now the Series S for this price. It all feels to me exactly like things felt just before Dreamcast went under.

FunkMiller

Most people don’t think it’s any good because they read about it somewhere, but if you ask people who own one, most would tell you they actually like it

It's like this:

You're out and about on the town. Walking towards you is a hot, tall chick, with boobs to die for, an ass that won't quit, and the kind of face that launched a million ships.

Next to her is her midget sister, dressed in exactly the same clothes.

I don't have to chat the midget up, or buy her a drink, to know I don't want to fuck her.

more than once

Iced Arcade

I think the S was always planned to be the unit that gets to the low price tier and super sales during the last half of a gen.

Costly gamble at the start for potential in the end.

Last edited:

Techies

They should discontinue this console tbh. Go back to one sku and be aggressive with the pricing on that. The series x is a phenomenal piece of hardware at $399 let alone $350 and should be their main priority.

Series s was a nice little experiment but it didn’t work so let’s move on and give the series x the attention it deserves.
I have to disagree, because of the Series S, there's been a lot of VBucks sales. Fortnite and Minecraft, most of younger generation only care about that. It can also play Call of Duty.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
One would assume a refresh would have smaller nm chips and revised components, no?
Smaller chips don't save nearly as much these days. Though MS getting desperate on price would force Sony to be more aggressive too, and lest we not forget 300$ series/Ps5 would be cheaper than Switch, maybe even Nintendo would have to play ball then.

StereoVsn

One part of me wants to get one for Rare Replay, Flight Simulator and Lost Odyssey.

A different part of me thinks the other part is lame and bad with money.
IMO, for BC snagging XSX on sale is the best bet since you have better BC upscaling and FPS boost and can use disk versions of older game, some of which aren’t on the digital shop anymore.

Such a good console and this is a decent price.
Microsoft has done a poor job marketing this thing, it should have been a no brainer for parents to buy for kids to use in their rooms with crappy TVs. If it had a disk drive it would have been an easier sell to people upgrading their Xbox 1 S as they could bring their library with them.
Maybe it will take off when it hits $199

Isn’t it outselling the series x by a big margin? Like almost 3 to 1?

For the first few years of this generation the choice was between a $300 Series S at retail and a $700+ PS5 or Series X from ebay/facebook marketplace due to the shortages for a lot of people. Without the shortages the Series S doesn't sell nearly as well.

Mephisto40

That's pretty much the same price as my series S was at launch, how is this an "offer"?

It's like $10 off the rrp, 4 years after it launched, it should be like $150 by now

Last edited:

twilo99

That's pretty much the same price as my series S was at launch, how is this an "offer"?

It's like $10 off the rrp, 4 years after it launched, it should be like $150 by now

It touched $150 around Christmas but it was only at Costco and I don't think it lasted very long unfortunately

It's like this:

You're out and about on the town. Walking towards you is a hot, tall chick, with boobs to die for, an ass that won't quit, and the kind of face that launched a million ships.

Next to her is her midget sister, dressed in exactly the same clothes.

I don't have to chat the midget up, or buy her a drink, to know I don't want to fuck her.

more than once
Bad example. In this scenario I'd rather go with the midget. Probably more fun in bed and less likely she's a cunt.

One part of me wants to get one for Rare Replay, Flight Simulator and Lost Odyssey.

A different part of me thinks the other part is lame and bad with money.
Wait a year and probably 2 out of 3 of those will be on PS5.

Jesb

Huh?? I have a shield tv pro are you referring to GeForce now? Not sure what this has to do with Xbox?
Playing games on gamepass. Don’t need an Xbox. And you can play a lot of Xbox pc gamepass games and at a better quality than games on a s console.

Top Bottom