• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Series S Starter bundle available for $220 at Target

Don Carlo

Imagine a $299 Series X digital refresh.
Spongebob Squarepants GIF

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
They should discontinue this console tbh. Go back to one sku and be aggressive with the pricing on that. The series x is a phenomenal piece of hardware at $399 let alone $350 and should be their main priority.

Series s was a nice little experiment but it didn’t work so let’s move on and give the series x the attention it deserves.

Slimboy Fat

They should discontinue this console tbh. Go back to one sku and be aggressive with the pricing on that. The series x is a phenomenal piece of hardware at $399 let alone $350 and should be their main priority.

Series s was a nice little experiment but it didn’t work so let’s move on and give the series x the attention it deserves.
Yeah but they've made a commitment to millions of customers.

One would assume a refresh would have smaller nm chips and revised components, no?
Still...Sony just increased the price when they released the slim. Around the same time MS increases the price as well. I would never imagine MS decreasing the price of a Series X by 200 / 250 out of nowhere.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Still...Sony just increased the price when they released the slim. Around the same time MS increases the price as well. I would never imagine MS decreasing the price of a Series X by 200 / 250 out of nowhere.

Considering Sony said they're breaking even on hardware, that seems more like a 'because they know they can get away with it' move, more than anything.

Crm114

There’s a pretty solid deal. Would it be fair to say that most of the people buying the S are doing so for the emulation?

Considering Sony said they're breaking even on hardware,

That was about the disc model. And the drive costs like $20 or whatever. Breaking even on the manufacturing cost is still losing money... just not that much.

This may also be just Target clearing inventory on their own and taking the hit rather than Microsoft's doing.

Codes 208

With a 350 Series S still available in walmart I can see people getting confused.
We sell the base model for $299 and the gilded bundle for $269

The only Series S that costs $350 is the black 1tb model (which have been selling so poorly, i dont blame people for not realizing it exists)

Or do you mean the series x? ‘Cause those are $450 here, we stopped selling those at $350 like a month and a half ago.

adamsapple

That was about the disc model. And the drive costs like $20 or whatever. Breaking even on the manufacturing cost is still losing money... just not that much.

This may also be just Target clearing inventory on their own and taking the hit rather than Microsoft's doing.

The last time both MS and Sony commented on hardware margins, it was 2021 (unless someone said something in more recent FTC filings, but I can't find any reference in quick google searches).

I doubt either Sony or MS are spending as much today manufacturing each new unit as they were 3 years ago.

Last edited:

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
We sell the base model for $299 and the gilded bundle for $269

The only Series S that costs $350 is the black 1tb model (which have been selling so poorly, i dont blame people for not realizing it exists)

Or do you mean the series x? ‘Cause those are $450 here, we stopped selling those at $350 like a month and a half ago.
I was talking about the 350 1tb black model yes.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
These still easy to get emulators going on?

I like the idea of a box in my living room that I will spend hours dumping roms onto so I can look at a list of games occasionally and play 9 minutes of super mario world.

adamsapple

I like the idea of a box in my living room that I will spend hours dumping roms onto so I can look at a list of games occasionally and play 9 minutes of super mario world.

Unfortunately the Retail mode method doesn't work anymore. Dev Mode has always been there and you can get it for as low as $2 (lifetime license) if you choose the right region when registering.

Codes 208

I was talking about the 350 1tb black model yes.
Ah, i think it wont cause that much issue then. That model had a “big” reveal but was pretty much sidelined by the $350 series x holiday sale so it’s practically non-existent. Hell, tbh i wouldnt be surprised if it gets axed before the base model

Last edited:

I use it as a a retrogaming machine + GamePass right now

I'm done buying anything from the Xbox Store: it's a dead platform

It basically emulates anything except for Wii U and Switch

They are not discontinuing this console after 3 years after telling millions of people it was a next-gen console

There's no going back from this, unless they want to kill both consoles...

At this point it won't make any difference. They are going third-party anyway

Last edited:

swarley64

Isn’t it outselling the series x by a big margin? Like almost 3 to 1?

Top Bottom