• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sequel to Prey 2017 by Arkane Austin? Set for next week reveal at TGA

Velius

Banned
You know Arkcane is a great studio but they have the worst luck ever. They launched Dishonored 2 on the same year as Witcher 3, Uncharted 4, Dark Souls 3 and many others and it was certainly well received but it had some technical issues and ppl were not that much into it. It took a lot of time to grow its fan base. Then comes Prey, a year after, 2017, which as you know was also huge of other major titles but what damaged it, even more, is these fucking idiotic "critics" which gave it a lot of low scores. The game became a niche and many immersive sim fans like me loved it and continued to support it but financially it destroyed them. Now they make Deathloop which is a worse game than their previous ones but critics love it because it has black protagonists and nothing else however the fans did not so much, and thus, afaik the game is not doing so well in sales. They got some support now but they are in a bad spot. 2022 looks like it'll be a great year for games and I hope they do no get overshadowed again.
Just for the sake of full disclosure I agree with everything you say. Deathloop is a step down. I actually did a big ol' review of Prey here on Gaf, and it's in my top ten games of all time. I think it does the immersive sim better than anything... except MAYBE System Shock 2. And even that comes with a caveat because I think SS2 needs to be modded in order to be the absolute pinnacle of IS gaming

Roni

Gold Member
I am very biased, and that game deserved to get bombed so hard.

Instead of releasing a proper Prey sequel to the original game that was actually quite decent, we instead got a mediocre reboot that wanted to be a horror game instead.

Boo
lol, I'm usually a pretty mellow guy but that take is so bad I felt like swearing at you.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
Sorry to rain on everyone's and my own parade:

4o5qlkd1z8481.png

sadge-rain.gif

Top Bottom