• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sequel to Prey 2017 by Arkane Austin? Set for next week reveal at TGA

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Yes please, even if this particular rumour isn't true, I'll take their version of Prey 2 any day.

Shorter is the only part of the post I don't like, I spent about 17 hours with the first and that felt like a good amount.

Dr. Suchong

I feel bad for Arkane.
I really wish their sales could match their critical acclaim.
Prey was incredible. Only the load times soured the experience for me.
Anyone had a chance to try it on SeriesX/Ps5 yet? Loading times improved?

J3nga

Prey 2017 bombed so hard that Raphael Colantonio left Arkane. It's a great game, one of my favorites of the past 10 years, but greenlighting a sequel is a difficult sell.
It might be Bethesda's crappy marketing/bad release windows, Dishonored 2, Prey, Wolfenstein II, TEW2. All really good games but all of them bombed. Every game is original in it's concept and isn't copy of each other(looking at you ubisoft), why would someone want to skip good SP games.

Last edited:

CitizenZ

Banned
Prey 2017 bombed so hard that Raphael Colantonio left Arkane. It's a great game, one of my favorites of the past 10 years, but greenlighting a sequel is a difficult sell.

The level design in that game and atmosphere was fantastic. But if you look at the MS dev roadmap, 97% are reboots, sequels, remakes. No new ideas allowed. In case you didnt know, the S in MS stands for safe.

oldergamer

The level design in that game and atmosphere was fantastic. But if you look at the MS dev roadmap, 97% are reboots, sequels, remakes. No new ideas allowed. In case you didnt know, the S in MS stands for safe.
That's a garbage statement. The second part. They have as many new titles as any other console manufacturer. Nothing wrong with sequels to good games. especially if they are well done.

Last edited:

Ellery

Would be awesome. Prey was such fantastic game. Loved it a lot. I don't think the leak is legit though.

Though we are probably going to see some fake leaks here and there in the buildup to the game awards. Even more so considering there are seemingly no other game shows where things could be revealed.

winjer

Gold Member
In the last few years, Prey 2016, has gathered a bit of a cult following.
A lot of people who ignored this game at launch, got to play it later, because of good word of mouth.
And these people might be enough to justify a new game.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
The edge in these posts are fantastic. But if you look at your posts, 97% have the same reddit-tier appeal. No new ideas allowed. In case you didnt know, the C in CitizenX CitizenX stands for cynical.

zaanan

Banned
Digital Foundry reported that load times were vastly improved on Series X|S
Hmmm, might have to jump back into it on PS5. I finished it on PS4 but it felt like a slog due to all the backtracking; spent a hell of a lot of time waiting on loading screens. If they are “vastly improved,” I will try the DLC and maybe go for the plat.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
And people believe this?

A Starfield trailer is much more likely at this point
IFBlCnl.jpg

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
One of the great things about game pass is that first party games don’t have to sell millions of copies to be viable anymore, so games that wouldn’t have seen the light of day can be greenlit. All they have to do is keep people subscribed.
This is true if they reach a high number of subscribers but until then it's still a risk and they want to see a good return

Leyasu

Banned
I feel bad for Arkane.
I really wish their sales could match their critical acclaim.
Prey was incredible. Only the load times soured the experience for me.
Anyone had a chance to try it on SeriesX/Ps5 yet? Loading times improved?
I played it with FPS boost on the XsXand the load times are pretty good.

What a game, one the best games ever. I would be there day one for a sequel

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
You know Arkcane is a great studio but they have the worst luck ever. They launched Dishonored 2 on the same year as Witcher 3, Uncharted 4, Dark Souls 3 and many others and it was certainly well received but it had some technical issues and ppl were not that much into it. It took a lot of time to grow its fan base. Then comes Prey, a year after, 2017, which as you know was also huge of other major titles but what damaged it, even more, is these fucking idiotic "critics" which gave it a lot of low scores. The game became a niche and many immersive sim fans like me loved it and continued to support it but financially it destroyed them. Now they make Deathloop which is a worse game than their previous ones but critics love it because it has black protagonists and nothing else however the fans did not so much, and thus, afaik the game is not doing so well in sales. They got some support now but they are in a bad spot. 2022 looks like it'll be a great year for games and I hope they do no get overshadowed again.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
I can EASILY bring receipts, always.
Here is a list of upcoming first party projects. You seriously think they care about your personal forum ramblings and will adjust their offerings to match that? No new ideas allowed? Literally most of there studios are working on something new. Reboots and Remakes? Xbox actually does the least remakes, there total number of remasters/reboots/remakes throughout 8th gen is less than most publishers with this many ips(and that includes pc only stuffs like the age of empires trilogy). Your posts are like a personal wishlist that you took seriously.

CitizenZ

Banned
Here is a list of upcoming first party projects. You seriously think they care about your personal forum ramblings and will adjust their offerings to match that? No new ideas allowed? Literally most of there studios are working on something new. Reboots and Remakes? Xbox actually does the least remakes, there total number of remasters/reboots/remakes throughout 8th gen is less than most publishers with this many ips(and that includes pc only stuffs like the age of empires trilogy). Your posts are like a personal wishlist that you took seriously.

Ok, lets not derail the convo about prey, but thanks for showing I was right.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Prey 2017 was great. A bit unpolished in 2nd half and a bit too much running past everything in later 3rd

Velius

Banned
I wish to god they had called it PsychoShock

Also I wish Arkane had made their sequel sooner than now... after Deathloop I'm a little worried about them.

Velius

Banned
You know Arkcane is a great studio but they have the worst luck ever. They launched Dishonored 2 on the same year as Witcher 3, Uncharted 4, Dark Souls 3 and many others and it was certainly well received but it had some technical issues and ppl were not that much into it. It took a lot of time to grow its fan base. Then comes Prey, a year after, 2017, which as you know was also huge of other major titles but what damaged it, even more, is these fucking idiotic "critics" which gave it a lot of low scores. The game became a niche and many immersive sim fans like me loved it and continued to support it but financially it destroyed them. Now they make Deathloop which is a worse game than their previous ones but critics love it because it has black protagonists and nothing else however the fans did not so much, and thus, afaik the game is not doing so well in sales. They got some support now but they are in a bad spot. 2022 looks like it'll be a great year for games and I hope they do no get overshadowed again.
You racist scum

And what it has to do that the game is not good with the black lead... If the lead was white or yellow would the game be better or what? Woke politics are bad and ugly but dude the other spectrum is also bad.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I am very biased, and that game deserved to get bombed so hard.

Instead of releasing a proper Prey sequel to the original game that was actually quite decent, we instead got a mediocre reboot that wanted to be a horror game instead.

Boo

MOTM

Banned
Hmmm, might have to jump back into it on PS5. I finished it on PS4 but it felt like a slog due to all the backtracking; spent a hell of a lot of time waiting on loading screens. If they are “vastly improved,” I will try the DLC and maybe go for the plat.
Played it recently on the Series X, load times greatly improved + FPS boost to 60fps.

Top Bottom