• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Prey (2017)

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
ed7a5f0cba0e3ee80bc5dd10683f6ce6fe692bb2b1764c4987aa97fbaaf142d1_product_card_v2_mobile_slider_639.jpg

This game is BIG. It's been almost a decade since it's release. I could see why this game was skipped over during the PS4 era. (Having survive "development hell") So much of Prey revolves around looting, and unlocking new areas. The enemies feel weird, and there was a lot of work put into this game from Arkane studios and I'll dive in more below.

Having played FPS games for years, I compare Prey to Fear, Bioshock, Mass Effect and Half Life, if you view Prey from those angles you'll have loads of fun killing a long list of enemies:
cystoids, mimics, phantoms, poltergeists, nightmares just to name a few...

"Typhon's" an alien species with unique abilities that the humans tried to study.

AcceptableCheapCassowary-size_restricted.gif

Mimics, that come out of the blue and yes the wrench is your best defense.

tumblr_otz8t8U9Mx1vx59euo4_500.gifv

Typhon, serious threat.

In terms of expressing and attacking enemies you get to kill with a classic flagship weapon wheel:
maxresdefault.jpg

The classic weapon wheel that was introduced with Turok on the N64.

The music was perfect.

One thing I love is the inventory menu, it's so organized and really well thought out.

Prey-Neuromod-Fabrication-Plan-Location_feature.jpg

Neuromods, gives you alien super powers. You have the chance to turn into an alien basically but decided not to and it battles your moral compass.

The plot to Prey 2017 is simple, escape Talos (space station) but there's a lot of discussion surrounding the game's multiple endings. I like a good explosive ending for some reason. Some could get emotionally involved in saving the space station and experiencing THAT ending. I still saved people but untimely blew the station up.

Prey 2017 takes around 30 hours to beat and is no question a top 10 FPS game. Discovering Talos for the first time is great. There's a ton of reasons to play Prey 2017.

What does GAF think of Prey 2017? Do you agree with Arkane that it shouldn't have been named "Prey"? Prey 2?

Imo the best game i ever played. (Inb4 im being quoted, lol you need to play more games)
Shouldve been called PsychoShock.
That was the best ability in the game. Makes killing the nightmare so easy.

Sentenza

I remember how incredibly lukewarm I was about this game going with the promotional material and early previews, but it turned out to be my favorite immersive sim since System Shock 2 itself.

Basically everything I wanted Bioshock to be.
Its main flaw was just a lack in enemy variety on the long run.

Last edited:
I was initially put off by the terrible PS4 demo. Low frames and heavy input lag. When it released, I just decided to give it a shot since I was in the mood for a scifi game and got it on Steam.

I went into it not knowing what to expect and yeah, the "break the glass" moment happened and that just blew me away. I knew I was in for something special from that moment on. Absolutely one of the best games of last gen. Amazing atmosphere. Talos 1 is absolutely gorgeous, the architecture, design, everything is just so amazingly realized. There is a consistence and beauty to the way the station is designed. It's very rare that I actually become immersed in a game, but this one did it. Brilliant.

I finished it but halfway through it lost steam for me, I dropped the difficulty to lowest because I jsut wanted to get through the game. I realized this year besides Dishonored series, anything else Arkane makes is convoluted boring mess. Especially after trying Deathloop, thats when I said, I'm done with this studio. They just don't make the type of games I enjoy playing.

Overrated , the enemy design get boring real fast .
While I agree there should have been more enemy variety, I think the enemy design works very well for this game.

The Typhons being these shadowy, amorphous beings I think makes them actually pretty terrifying (to me at least). The way they move, the sounds they make, it puts me on edge. I think it does a good job of making me reconsider how I will approach an encounter. I think the Mimics are just great, some very clever uses of that enemy type.

Hoddi

Easy 10/10 for me. I also loved Dishonored when I played it 2 years ago but it's not even in the same ballpark, in my opinion. And Bioshock wasn't even in the same category.

I still need to play the last two Deus Ex games at some point. I've heard that HR makes good use of the Wii U tablet and it's on my list.

Overrated , the enemy design get boring real fast .

I don't see why that would be a problem, unless you were playing on an easier setting. The gameplay for the enemies were designed to be played on a harder difficulty, where you have to make use of what's in the room. So each encounter was like a puzzle of avoiding confrontations.

Last edited:

samoilaaa

its one of the best games i have ever played , its a game that really makes you think without using stupid emotional moments for the sake of it , it has an amazing level design , its one of those games that lets you use your imagination to proceed further , it doesnt forces you to take the only path the devs want

i can see how alot of gamers hate the game , it doesnt have amazing cutscenes , no handholding , no emotional moments like "omg im gonna cry , how beautiful is son and father bonding together " , none of that bullshit , puzzles dont solve themselves , you have to use ur brain which most people hate these days

Paasei

One of the most underrated games. If you love experimenting with gameplay, this one is a big deal.

Also Mooncrash is the best DLC ever made.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I only needed to see the title of this game to get the urge to replay it.

Thanks for jogging my memory, now I know what I'm gonna spend my Sunday on.

MOTM

Banned
One of my top 5 games. Criminally underrated.

Talos as a location is absolutely massive, beautifully and realistically crafted. The atmosphere throughout the whole game is incredible.

Only complaint is that the enemy encounters can get a bit repetitive towards the end.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The game released 5 and a half years ago :p
What decade ?!
Matt Damon Grandpa GIF

Anyway. the game is freaking amazing. I loved it so much. I kinda ran past everything towards the end but that was so good because the whole station is connected. You can go outside, fly to where the other room should be and it is there. genious,

Last edited:

Ogbert

Hugely overrated.

Game become an absolute chore after about 15 hours.

Someone needs to remind Arkane that games need to be enjoyable rather than stylish.

IMO, it was stupid to call this game Prey since it bears pretty much no resemblance to the original game.

Having said that, easily one of my favorite games from last generation.
It's a fantastic game absolutely worth playing, but it shouldn't have been called "Prey".
I really feel like people on this forum overestimate the value of the name "Prey." It's not like the original set the world on fire. Most mainstream audiences probably have no recollection of it.

It's a fantastic game absolutely worth playing, but it shouldn't have been called "Prey".
IMO, it was stupid to call this game Prey since it bears pretty much no resemblance to the original game.

Having said that, easily one of my favorite games from last generation.
The founder of Arkane agrees. That decision was all on Bethesda and not his choice.
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/arka...nd-why-he-left-the-studio-afterwards.1640900/

oji-san

Banned
It's real good and i liked it, also the ending is cool, i had some trouble getting into it, was hard at first to me, you feel weak and don't have a lot of tools to handle the enemies, but then i tried it again and was hooked untill the end, you become powerful and the combat is very fun, also the settings and atmosphere is ace. Would want to have a sequel for sure.

oji-san

Banned
Played it on Xbox One - shit res and shit framerate and still ended up being one of my favourite games from last gen. This is how you do an immersive game.

Now it plays like a dream in 1440p and fps boost on XsX

The XSX version is what made me try it again and eventually to had a blast with it, it looks and runs perfectly on XSX, shame they didn't patch it on PS5 iirc as i bought it on it.

Last edited:

Laptop1991

It is a really good game once you get into it and get used to the system's and mechanic's, i had a lot of fun and enjoyed it, Arkane is still better at the Dishonored's for me though.

Crayon

Looooooved this.

The load screens on console are absolutely awful. The enemy encounters in the first several hours had me borderline put down the game even though I was already intrigued. Everything else was fantastic.

anthraticus

Banned
Play it with this...

One of the best games ever imo. I discovered it on gamepass a few years ago and made a similar thread. It’s like half life meets system shock. Best game arkane has made too imo

poodaddy

Incredible game, damn near perfect in my opinion. Don't understand the reception it got, it was an incredible sim.

Top Bottom