• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senua's Saga: Hellblade 2' - Senua's Pychosis

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
While I appreciate the Streetcar Named Desire reference to Stellar Blade earlier in the thread, Hellblade 2 isn’t positioned to succeed financially like SB has.

This game will succeed critically based on the subject matter the developers so willingly push into the spotlight. There will be very little room for subjectively reviewing this title.

The players will be the final judge of the product and it will be interesting to see how their opinions are dismissed or vilified by the current establishment.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Looks incredible even in compressed YT videos.

tz0Fazo.png
The Order: 1886 vibes

kyussman

"Her mental health journey".......I just can't with this game,I'm sorry,what a load of absolute bollocks.These devs are taking the piss with this game,we all know there will be fuck all gameplay in it,do they really think they are providing some esssential service here in the name of mental health care.But hey,it's Microsoft's money they are wasting not mine,lol.

"Her mental health journey".......I just can't with this game,I'm sorry,what a load of absolute bollocks.These devs are taking the piss with this game,we all know there will be fuck all gameplay in it,do they really think they are providing some esssential service here in the name of mental health care.But hey,it's Microsoft's money they are wasting not mine,lol.
I mean, literal leading professors in the field from one of the most prestigious universities in the world literally said they were providing a service to help visualize some of these mental states and what their patients could be experiencing while they were consulting on the 1st game. It's a documentary in the 1st game on the main menu. Ninja Theory is pretty humble about it and were mostly following the suggestions of experts and actual patients, who reviewed early and final builds multiple times.

clarky

Gold Member
Bruh, you're getting shit on for poor marketing and you release a 20 minute video of dev commentary.

Again.
Yeah these guys sure like talking to themselves. A lot.

Skipped through the video, they really aren't selling it very well.

How to make you game look boring 101.

kyussman

I mean, literal leading professors in the field from one of the most prestigious universities in the world literally said they were providing a service to help visualize some of these mental states and what their patients could be experiencing while they were consulting on the 1st game. It's a documentary in the 1st game on the main menu. Ninja Theory is pretty humble about it and were mostly following the suggestions of experts and actual patients, who reviewed early and final builds multiple times.
Well,I think it's a load of bollocks and will make for a tedious and miserable gaming experience.....so there,lol.

Fredrik

Did you play the first one? It was definitely an experience worth some praise, lots of people had it on their GOTY lists that year and it was nominated and won several TGA awards, gameplay was so-so and repetitive but as a complete package with the story and visuals and audio it was worthy the talk.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
No new footage just more dev commentary. This game has some of the worst marketing I've ever seen. It's like MS is intentionally sending it out to die.
There's plenty of gameplay in this video and in others (previews as well), it's just not that type of game you can easily showcase by showing gameplay, it's an experience, just like the first one was.

Personally, I want to see as less of the game and gameplay of it as possible, cuz I want to see and experience everything on my own when I'll actually be playing the game and I think this is exactly how NT thinks it should be.

Last edited:
There's plenty of gameplay in this video and in others (previews as well), it's just not that type of game you can easily showcase by showing gameplay, it's an experience, just like the first one was.

Personally, I want to see as less of the game and gameplay of it as possible, cuz I want to see and experience everything on my own when I'll actually be playing the game and I think this is exactly how NT thinks it should be.

The purpose of marketing isn't for you, then

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Beautiful looking game, to take this much time and effort into the medical science behind Pychosis is commendable.

Who'd have thought that Xbox would be the first ones to release a true next-gen looking game of this generation, day 1 Gamepass.
See the Hellblade 2 global marketing has kicked into action as promised.

Portugeezer

I mean, its your loss guys. I like short games, especially as part of a sub. I played the 1st one recently and was at 9 hours. Felt just about right for that type of game honestly.
I'm skeptical as to whether it will even match the originals length. Probably 5-6 hours. I get that it's part of gamepass so many people won't care too much if it's short.

Last edited:
You're completely missing the point. If it's so hard to understand what NT is doing with what they're doing and how, then I can't help you here, no one can and frankly.... nobody should waste their time.

NT is doing their job. Making the game. I'm not questioning what they're doing. Microsoft is the one that's failing them here. That's the point you need to grasp.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Microsoft is the one that's failing them here. That's the point you need to grasp.
You clearly didn't read a few threads dedicated to this game in the last few weeks or so and haven't read my posts there.

From what I read in some places.... MS are showing ads / trailers in theaters and such, but it doesn't matter cuz 99% of people will not buy the game and will play it on Gamepass and MS don't give a fuck. I honestly don't think that PS5 release will change anything, it's not a game which you can esily sell to even 1 mil people.

P,S, In Russia the game is in Steam's Top 20 right now when it comes to sales.

Last edited:

MayauMiao

You leave the mental health stuff for the game itself.

You sell the game with big flashy action beats that shows off the graphics and gameplay.

This shit is not hard.

The problem is the gameplay looks unimpressive, looks like a walking simulator with a dash of one on one fights.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
If you agree with me then why the fuck are you contradicting yourself?
I'm not. I'm saying that NT decided to focus on everything but gameplay and new footage (even though they already showed a lot), but you're complaining that there isn't much of it and that MS is doing shit job at marketing the game which is true, but they're not the ones who runs the narrative here, NT does and decides how they want to show the game. The job of MS is to market the game outside of YT and social media (but they're not doing their job even there), the usual stuff - billboards, ads etc.

Do you not want to experience the game yourself or what? What those extra bits of gameplay footage will do for you? If you've played original game then you pretty much know what to expect.

Last edited:
I'm not. I'm saying that NT decided to focus on everything but gameplay and new footage (even though they already showed a lot), but you're complaining that there isn't much of it and that MS is doing shit job at marketing the game which is true, but they're not the ones who runs the narrative here, NT does and decides how they want to show the game. The job of MS is to market the game outside of YT and social media (but they're not doing their job even there), the usual stuff - billboards, ads etc.

NT is running the narrative because MS is doing fuck all for them, which you agree with me, whether you want to admit it or not.

MS's job is social media marketing as well. Not sure what you're on about there.

Do you not want to experience the game yourself or what? What those extra bits of gameplay footage will do for you? If you've played original game then you pretty much know what to expect.

Again, not grasping the point. The marketing isn't for me. I can buy 6 games within a month. I'm a massive outlier

Last edited:

fatmarco

I sort of get the feeling that this game lacks ambition as far as being a sequel goes. Like it's obviously a gorgeous, more refined looking game, but as far as the actual gameplay goes it looks almost exactly the same as the indy AA game they made 7 years ago.

The problem is they teased a more ambitious sequel with its initial trailer at the TGAs, showing vast expanses, and not the straightforward, linear gameplay you had assumed they'd be leaving behind now with the massive budget that you also assumed they'd likely have, given that the game was also tied to the announcement of the Series X itself.

If it really does end up being the same short, limited game with a compelling story you often see in a lot of small indy titles, just glossed up to the 9's, then I think Microsoft has absolutely shot themselves(lol) with how central it was to the Series X marketing.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
NT is running the narrative because MS is doing fuck all for them, which you agree with me, whether you want to admit it or not.

MS's job is social media marketing as well. Not sure what you're on about there.
Look, NT did the exact same thing with Senua's Sacrifice when they were independent and developing the game, pretty much the exact same thing, just look at their YT channel.

When it comes Senua's Saga they're doing it cuz it's their game and not cuz MS doing fuck all. MS is not doing their job as hard as they frankly need to cuz they don't give a fuck, it's as simple as that and I think we both agree on that.

Recent events clearly showed that they don't even give a fuck about the IPs which they bought not so long ago and now nobody's there to make the games.

I think we should stop this conversation here:messenger_spock::messenger_relieved:

Last edited:

BlackTron

I feel bad for this game. Every Xbox release that fails to be the next Tears of the Kingdom puts even more pressure on it to be the second coming.

Bartski

Gold Member
love how they talk about adding what sounds like a layer of fractal patterns in the visuals. If done very subtly from modeling to texturing to vfx this game is guaranteed to trigger acid flashbacks on me. Gonna be hell of a ride

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Looks incredible even in compressed YT videos.

tz0Fazo.png

I can’t wait to have zero interaction with that environment and being forced to walk through heavily scripted moments and barebones gameplay that makes NES games look like in-depth masterpieces by comparison.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I can’t wait to have zero interaction with that environment and being forced to walk through heavily scripted moments and barebones gameplay that makes NES games look like in-depth masterpieces by comparison.

And you'll be doing that through arguably the best looking environments in a released game yet, can't wait!

proandrad

Looks pretty, but the game part of ninja theory games are always lacking. They put too much focus on presentation.

Its a hard game to clear, you will walk but not a walk in the park.

Banjo64

cumsessed

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Its a hard game to clear, you will walk but not a walk in the park.

I 100% complete the original and thought it was a very mediocre game back then. The sequel looks like it is the exact same experience, just graphically more impressive.

If this was a 10 dollar game, I could maybe see the justifications for it. Not so much for a "AAA" release.

GymWolf

I 100% complete the original and thought it was a very mediocre game back then. The sequel looks like it is the exact same experience, just graphically more impressive.

If this was a 10 dollar game, I could maybe see the justifications for it. Not so much for a "AAA" release.
I think "many" people are gonna pay for 1 month of gamepass to try the game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom