• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senpai finally noticed me (by Merriam Webster)

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsmith

remember me
Let's not pretend that Japan doesn't constantly do terrible things to the English language.

7rsND3p.png

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Still better than what happens when Japanese people go creative with English.

The funny thing is, that there's a higher chance that a clerk in Japan will understand what you want if you say that than if you switched to English in the middle of the sentence to say "Playstation 4" properly.
Happened to me a few times, so I gave up and started using the broken katakana pronunciation.

Oh yeah, you just have to. They often don't make the connection with the original English.

Let's not pretend that Japan doesn't constantly do terrible things to the English language.

7rsND3p.png

The constant abuse of the English language is an everyday thing for me living in japan.

spekkeh

Banned

The funny thing is, that there's a higher chance that a clerk in Japan will understand what you want if you say that than if you switched to English in the middle of the sentence to say "Playstation 4" properly.
Happened to me a few times, so I gave up and started using the broken katakana pronunciation.

Understandably so! I mean, that's part of why katakana is used (at least to my understanding, currently learning japanese). It starts to get weird if westerners use it in their respective countries haha.

ZoronMaro

Trying to pronounce English words the English way in Japan, is like if I started asking all my friends to go to the bar because it's "ka-ra-o-ke" night.

If you're speaking Japanese, to Japanese people, then speak Japanese. Nobody likes that guy who randomly inserts french words with a flourishing accent just because he took French in college. I don't care if they say it that way in France Andrew, you're speaking English and sound like a douche.

That said I'm all for languages stealing things from each other and bastardizing definitions to suit the culture stealing it, in fact that's the exact reason I hate Andrew so much.

spekkeh

Banned

Hmm I kept hearing this so I tried ordering a Cora instead of a Cola once.

Cora o kudasai.
Nande?
Cora.
Huh?
Co-ra.
Etto, wakaramisen..
A Cola please!
Oh you wanto a Cora.
¬_¬

Images_(Rock_Bottom).jpg

I can't *PBTTTT* understand *PBTTTT* what your saying *PBTTTT*.

Darksol

Well not just senpai but stuff like sugoi, kakkoii, kawaii etc which you can't even go 5 minutes without hearing in most anime.

I hear most of that every day as well. Incredibly common. It may be overused and emphasized in anime, but it's still everyday basic adjectives that are used quite a bit.

Madao

reading this thread, the only thing that comes to mind is...

Yare Yare Daze

how long until that one is in the dictionary? translator's note: it means "give me a break!"

Violet_0

Banned
This was my first thought.

The second thought was "oh right this is how the English language works", as in breaking into the homes of other languages and pilfering whatever words it likes. It already broke into Japan for tsunami, sushi, and karaoke, now it's back for some more words to make off with.

more like breaking into other language's homes and replacing their words with yours

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I just need one of these dictionaries to add ''moe' so people can stop using it wrong, or at least when they do I can come round their house and hit them on the head with a nice hardback book.

I just need one of these dictionaries to add ''moe' so people can stop using it wrong, or at least when they do I can come round their house and hit them on the head with a nice hardback book.

But what if the dictionary uses the wrong term? :p

dani_dc

People didn't understand what country I was from until I switch from "Portugal" to "Porutogaru".
They're naturally more used to local pronunciations of words than the "correct" ones.

Anyone knows these weebs that use it after learning japanese for 1 week:

"Hey. Ken-Kun from "random visual kei" band is so kawaii ^_^"
"Dayo neeeeee~~~?"
"I think their music is quite sugoi!"

I seem to remember a thread on GAF about what 'moe' meant. It was a huge thread and was full of people arguing, and a consensus about what the word meant was never reached.

Busaiku

It would define it as cute girls.

Tacitus_

"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don’t just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
-James D. Nicoll

Moe
adjective | mo-e | mō-ay

Definition
: the cancer that is killing contemporary anime

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom