• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senpai finally noticed me (by Merriam Webster)

Status
Not open for further replies.
ovKlaTj.png

This was my first thought.

The second thought was "oh right this is how the English language works", as in breaking into the homes of other languages and pilfering whatever words it likes. It already broke into Japan for tsunami, sushi, and karaoke, now it's back for some more words to make off with.

I think you've just described the development of all language, and it doesn't apply to English anymore than it does any other language (with maybe the exception of French, which is much more strictly controlled)

Ivan 3414

The second thought was "oh right this is how the English language works", as in breaking into the homes of other languages and pilfering whatever words it likes. It already broke into Japan for tsunami, sushi, and karaoke, now it's back for some more words to make off with.

Lmao you cannot be serious

In the same way that waifu is useful as a word to describe an unrealistic, slightly pathetic and fanciful crush or infatuation, senpai appears to me to fill a niche in describing a person of superior status whose attention one vies for. New words tend to fill niches that English is not currently able to, like schadenfreude did.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't understand the concept of Merriam-Webster trying to define a foreign word that already has a meaning.

Please no.

I already had to explain the type of people who use "kawaii in English speaking countries and why it's weird two weeks ago and yes it's officially in the textbooks here, don't make me do this one too.

this is your fault atlus

Goddammit.

Can we go back to crotchety old men being the ones to steal words from other languages? People my age are shit.

GAF-kun is so tsundere

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16

Have you SEEN what Japan does with the english language?

MrChom

Yup, English, it's great. A German/French/Latin hybrid with a smattering of Celtic at the edges that borrows from multiple Indian languages, Russian, Chinese, Japanese, and then a few words from anywhere Britain otherwise owned for a bit.

You can keep your languages where councils meet every year to stop loan words, I will take a proper language that moves organically in defiance of its own teachers and becomes something useful for the age it's in. If we need to borrow senpai then we should do so, just as we did with karaoke, pyjamas, veranda, taboo, mammoth, gung-ho, bazooka, and boycott.

English is like the Freemasons, though, you only stay in if we want you.

I can't wait until western people start pronouncing words like japanese katakana. "Sumimasen clerk-san, what does that puresudeshon 4 cost, and is the doragonbooru XV bunduru still available?"

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Still better than what happens when Japanese people go creative with English.
I can't wait until western people start pronouncing words like japanese katakana. "Sumimasen clerk-san, what does that puresudeshon 4 cost, and is the doragonbooru XV bunduru still available?"
The funny thing is, that there's a higher chance that a clerk in Japan will understand what you want if you say that than if you switched to English in the middle of the sentence to say "Playstation 4" properly.
Happened to me a few times, so I gave up and started using the broken katakana pronunciation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom