• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sell me your favourite "showa" anime series, please.

Tschumi

My girl has announced that she wants to watch another anime series with me, and that she vastly prefers showa era (read: pre-1989) series.

So give me some suggestions!

I won't tell which ones we've already watched, I'll just say the most memorable one so far was over 100 episodes, from the late 70s, and we couldn't stop watching it with all of our evenings until we finished it.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
My girl has announced that she wants to watch another anime series with me, and that she vastly prefers showa era (read: pre-1989) series.

So give me some suggestions!

I won't tell which ones we've already watched, I'll just say the most memorable one so far was over 100 episodes, from the late 70s, and we couldn't stop watching it with all of our evenings until we finished it.
There's an entire thread on this in Communities but to make it short...you said series so:

1. Kimagure Orange Road TV
2. Maison Ikkoku
3. City Hunter
4. Cutey Honey
5. Devil Man
6. Fist of the North Star
7. Dragon Ball (original series...not Z, GT, Super, etc)
8. Ranma 1/2 (seasons were marketed in N.A. 1-7 | the best IMO were 1-4
9. Dirty Pair series
10. Lupin the lll parts 1, 2, 3, and 4

Those are 10 series with over 40 episodes mostly depending on which you choose to watch all from the showa era pre-1989. Although, Ranma 1/2 continued it's TV production from 1989 - 1992.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
DBZ Season 1 & 2 is automatic enjoyment

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Bubblegum Crisis
Patlabor
City Hunter
Kimagure Orange Road
Don't get me wrong on Bubblegum Crisis -- it's one of my favorite anime franchises. However, OP asking for a series and althought B.C. was intended to be a 13-episode series; it ended up being an incomplete 8-episode OVA. I had a list of like 100 OVA recommendations but I held off to post only series. Cool that you included KOR, City Hunter, and Patlabor too!

UnNamed

Banned

Versailles no Bara is a classic, anyone who doesn't know this anime/manga can't claim to be an anime fan.

My personal list:

Versailles no Bara
Saint Seya
Daitarn 3 (over Gundam)
Any of the Majocco anime (Creamy, Emi, etc.)
Future Boy Conan
Attacker Yu
Galaxy Express 999 (over Captain Harlock)
Pollyanna, or "the most unlucky character ever made"
My Annette , or "the meanest anime girl ever made"
Captain Tsubasa, or "How I learned to defy gravity"

I would also say The secret of Blue Water but it was 1991.

Tschumi

DBZ Season 1 & 2 is automatic enjoyment
We watched these :p DB especially, and the first few seasons of DBZ, were real fun... started to resent locking in for the whole series when cell started the cell games..

There's an entire thread on this in Communities but to make it short...you said series so:

1. Kimagure Orange Road TV
2. Maison Ikkoku
3. City Hunter
4. Cutey Honey
5. Devil Man
6. Fist of the North Star
7. Dragon Ball (original series...not Z, GT, Super, etc)
8. Ranma 1/2 (seasons were marketed in N.A. 1-7 | the best IMO were 1-4
9. Dirty Pair series
10. Lupin the lll parts 1, 2, 3, and 4

Those are 10 series with over 40 episodes mostly depending on which you choose to watch all from the showa era pre-1989. Although, Ranma 1/2 continued it's TV production from 1989 - 1992.
We adore the Lupin iii feature films, give the series a go. Does it have an overarching plot? Or is it strictly episodic? We like our series to go somewhere, literally in the case of 999

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
We watched these :p DB especially, and the first few seasons of DBZ, were real fun... started to resent locking in for the whole series when cell started the cell games..

We adore the Lupin iii feature films, give the series a go. Does it have an overarching plot? Or is it strictly episodic? We like our series to go somewhere, literally in the case of 999
I could say a lot about the arcs in the first 4 Lupin lll series but L Lupin the Third or kunonabi kunonabi could give you much more detail if you're looking where/which to start with.

Top Bottom