• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA's news is NOT Game Gear Macro - according to journalist who have got the famitsu magazine.

Translation:
One of Sega's plan for it's 60th year anniversary is Game Gear Macro, details will be avaliable this noon(Beijing time, midnight in US).
AND, famitsu's "huge scoop" is NOT Game Gear Macro.
1hqp45n.png

This media is the one that got the famitsu magazine before.

Last edited:
This should be taken with a grain of salt, but a small amount of buzz is suggesting the Famitsu scoop is SEGA's researching/developing something related to cloud computing and maybe more specifically fog computing, which they're referring to as "fog gaming" (フォグゲーミング).

Again, take with a grain of salt.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
clouding gaming service? If that's really it, then the Game Gear mini was more impressive imo.

clouding gaming service? If that's really it, then the Game Gear mini was more impressive imo.
It's impressive for those people who owned the arcade machine, this will help them squeeze out the last bit of money from that mathine, just like the old "Earn money by sharing your own WiFi" thing.

Kazza

Pretty much the kind of technical thing I expected. I'm still hoping for some kind of Saturn announcement sometime this year.

the_master

Wow, they did manage to disappoint! This is less than even one new game, unless they explain something I am missing, this will even be less than the 40€ 4 game Micro Game Gear

McRazzle

Turns out the "journalist", Zenji Nishikawa, was also the source for the rumor of a PS5 Pro launching alongside PS5.

"According to Japanese journalist Zenji Nishikawa, Sony is launching two different PlayStation 5 models next year, the base and the Pro model. According to the journalist, Sony has acknowledged the interest in a high-end model and wants to give players what they want right from the beginning of the generation."

Dick Jones

Gold Member
I hope the actual reveal is more disappointing than if it was the micro game gear. I love Sega's games and consoles but they have a great history of disappointment and let the legacy continue. Just don't wall off future content is all I care.

It's probably a Sega Game Pass app for PS4/Xbox/Switch where you pay 50 a year for old games. I'd be very okay with that.

SonicJams

Guys, this may have been a letdown but I bet they still have at least a few of new games to announce for their 60th anniversary project.
I like your thinking. Besides, sega didn't hype it up, so the blame falls purely on the journalist here....or us for getting hyped up haha.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
This should be taken with a grain of salt, but a small amount of buzz is suggesting the Famitsu scoop is SEGA's researching/developing something related to cloud computing and maybe more specifically fog computing, which they're referring to as "fog gaming" (フォグゲーミング).

Again, take with a grain of salt.
Yeah, I thought it would be some crap like that... nobody wants that. What a disappointment.

Geki-D

Banned
Its Cloud powered arcades:

I4Ybesy.png
Wait. So it's not actually a cloud service everyone could access but cloud based arcade machines for arcades? ...Wow, could this actually get any more uninteresting? I mean, it'll be Japan only no doubt so yes, I guess.

Wait. So it's not actually a cloud service everyone could access but cloud based arcade machines for arcades? ...Wow, could this actually get any more uninteresting? I mean, it'll be Japan only no doubt so yes, I guess.
Well the journalist who teased this was on his own youtube channel which is a pure Japanese one, and the article will be on Famitsu which is also run by Japanese and mainly focused on Japanese audiences.
So I guess we should not set our expectation too high in the first place.

sublimit

Banned

JohannCK

Its Cloud powered arcades

Wait. So it's not actually a cloud service everyone could access but cloud based arcade machines for arcades?
No, that's wrong. It's a proposed solution to lag in cloud gaming that uses arcade machines as part of the cloud in order to bring the cloud closer to users at home (thus it's a cloud on the ground = fog). It's a simple and low-cost solution because Sega already has around 200 arcades around Japan. Basically it means easily getting 200 data centers around Japan without needing new space or additional equipment.

They are considering offering this technology to other game companies and industries too.

I wrote this article after seeing the misinformation all over:

This has to be a joke right? That troll Nishikawa deserves to be banned.

He should be banned (from where?) because people took things he said on his own Youtube channel out of context? People were leaving this out seemingly on purpose but he started off straight up saying that it wasn't a new console ("not the Dreamcast 2" were his exact words), and that it would be something in his column which has always been about tech stuff that nobody really pays attention to. Given that it was confirmed to be on his column it was obvious that it was never going to be something that would be put on the front page, or with a ten page special.

What he said was true in context. This is in fact game-changing for cloud computing technology, far more so than the announcement of a new game console would be. It's proposing setting up hundreds if not thousands of data centers in Japan basically for free.

Last edited:
Top Bottom